GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW GTI 2017 Sport Chirping noise

Eric@Wages

Passed Driver's Ed
6500 miles on my car and I have developed a chirping annoying sound like a belt pulley coming mostly when cold from the engine bay.

Dealer replaced Belt, Damper and bolt last week, and the noise came back.

Anyone experienced this? Sorry if this has already been covered.

CHEERS!

Tiapinna

I do everytime I do a cold start. It sounds like a metal plate a bit unscrewed and I think it has something to do with the exhaust

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Here too on the cold start. I've always thought of it as normal.

rc pete

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a 17 GTI PP always did it. More on LH turns I seen a lot of people on here notice it. I put 32k on it still chirped. Never got worse.

dublife2

mine does the same, i notice it on left turns mostly but i won't bother going to the dealership. doesn't seem to be an issue thats worth my time

Eric@Wages

Passed Driver's Ed
The dealer changed the harmonic balancer, belt and bolt first. Wasn't fixed. They have had it for a week now and change the water pump to no good. They are calling VW to see whats the next step. Keep in mind the car only has 6K miles. I think the VW should pay more attention to details on cars being built in Mexico. Hoping they find the fix. I am a bit disappointed.

CHEERS!!

RPMW MK7

The dealer changed the harmonic balancer, belt and bolt first. Wasn't fixed. They have had it for a week now and change the water pump to no good. They are calling VW to see whats the next step. Keep in mind the car only has 6K miles. I think the VW should pay more attention to details on cars being built in Mexico. Hoping they find the fix. I am a bit disappointed.

CHEERS!!
FYI the stats say that there are less issues with the cars built in Mexico than from other locations.

Jarbear

Ready to race!
I have this issue with my 17 Sport. Started at roughly 1500 miles. Dealer started with the tensioner/belt. Noise persisted. Then they changed some gasket/seal in the timing chain cover. Noise went away for about 500 miles, then came back.

Mine only happens occasionally on a "warm" start sitting at idle. So after driving the car, letting it sit for an hour or so, then starting it back up. Goes away after I start driving again. Decided that it didn't bother me enough to make an appt. with the dealer. Now at 7500 miles.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
Happened to me as well. 7700 miles and just heard it for the first time at cold start last night. Can anyone recommend a dealer in Southern CA to take my car to for work?

Thanks in advance!

Zer0DazE

Ready to race!
Then they changed some gasket/seal in the timing chain cover. Noise went away for about 500 miles, then came back.

This is what they did with mine (plus the harmonic balancer). Mine was done 3-4k miles ago and the chirp has not come back. I do have a different faint high pitch sound that I hear while driving straight. Turning the wheels slightly makes it stop. I believe that is coming from the steering rack.

eriknorcal

Ready to race!
Mine sounds like theres a bird on the firewall inside the engine compartment. It only happenns under acceleration, low speeds. Dealer blamed it on my downpipe, told me to "realign" it.. It sounds nothing like an exhaust-related noise, sounds more like a squealing bearing.

Eric@Wages

Passed Driver's Ed
Problem presist and has not been fixed yet. This seems to be a wide spread problem since 2016 on. Several forums and Youtube videos already out there describing the same problem.

Dealer changed harmonic balancer, belt and bolt. Problem still there. Dealer got a VW rep. involved. VW Per told them to change the Water Pump, AC Compressor and belt again. NO fix. Yesterday they call me and said the VW rep. wants them to pull the turbo out and check the turbo propeller and send pics to VW. He said they had a similar problem back east with a turbo propeller noise. They've had the car for almost 3 weeks now.

This is getting to be a lemon law for me. Also I cnat believe no class action suits are yet filed?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Problem presist and has not been fixed yet. This seems to be a wide spread problem since 2016 on. Several forums and Youtube videos already out there describing the same problem.

Dealer changed harmonic balancer, belt and bolt. Problem still there. Dealer got a VW rep. involved. VW Per told them to change the Water Pump, AC Compressor and belt again. NO fix. Yesterday they call me and said the VW rep. wants them to pull the turbo out and check the turbo propeller and send pics to VW. He said they had a similar problem back east with a turbo propeller noise. They've had the car for almost 3 weeks now.

This is getting to be a lemon law for me. Also I cnat believe no class action suits are yet filed?

Class action for what? No grounds at all... The similar problem back east was 1 car that had an issue... Seems everyone's squeaking is coming from different things.

Eric@Wages

Passed Driver's Ed
Just look at the many chirping complaints on the internet and even this forum. Just look at the above comments. A 2017 car with 5K to 10K miles should not be having these many parts replaced trying to figure what it is.

The squeaking is the same and most have to come back to the dealer.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Just look at the many chirping complaints on the internet and even this forum. Just look at the above comments. A 2017 car with 5K to 10K miles should not be having these many parts replaced trying to figure what it is.

The squeaking is the same and most have to come back to the dealer.

So what do they do if they can't figure out what the squeak is? Just send you on your way saying there is no issue? That's what they did to me for other issues. Compared to the sunroof issue, which there isn't a class action suit for yet, practically nobody has this issue. Just take a look at the difference in pages of the threads. I'm not saying it doesn't suck you are having an issue, but it's a very limited amount of people who have the issue.

For example, I have 13k miles and have never heard this chirping... but I have heard my doors creaking and interior rattles from trim and so on so forth, like most of the forum.