GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 GTI S Radio Removal

owlicks

Has anyone removed the factory head unit on the 2018 GTI S (6.5” unit)? If so, is there a guide for doing it?

The unit looks like this:

I’m looking to install a Helix sub. From all I’ve found, I believe it should work, but I believe the connection is unfortunately at the back of the head unit as there is nothing in the glove box on the MK7.5 S. Any advice or experiences with this would be great.

bkl1974

Has anyone removed the factory head unit on the 2018 GTI S (6.5” unit)? If so, is there a guide for doing it?

The unit looks like this:

I’m looking to install a Helix sub. From all I’ve found, I believe it should work, but I believe the connection is unfortunately at the back of the head unit as there is nothing in the glove box on the MK7.5 S. Any advice or experiences with this would be great.[/QUOTE/

It's a little more involved than pulling out trim because I just tried it on my 18. There's four little releases in the top and bottom corners you need to pick or something. Took me a while but I found doing top and bottom at same time on each side finallygot it done for me. All the connections have releases of different sorts on each clip. I have the helix sub hooked up by the way. Works well but dealership took it out of my old golf and put it into my GTI.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
The 2018s are different from the 2015-2017s in that the the 2018 display and head unit are joined as one unit. The older models had the head unit in the glove box, separated from the display. This may or may not apply to the 2018s, but to get the display out of the older models, you need to first remove the dash trim, then use four VW/Audi radio removal keys, one inserted into each corner of the display unit. (These guys).

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
I was not expecting to see this....

I'm still not sure how to pull this thing out. I "looks" like it uses VW Radio Keys on the bottom clips, but the top....no idea, just a pocket screwdriver maybe? I'll know more tomorrow when I attempt to remove it.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I was not expecting to see this....

I'm still not sure how to pull this thing out. I "looks" like it uses VW Radio Keys on the bottom clips, but the top....no idea, just a pocket screwdriver maybe? I'll know more tomorrow when I attempt to remove it.

You should be using radio removal keys on all four.

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
I just got it out. Radio removal keys on the bottom for sure, but the top clips can be released with a pocket screwdriver very easily.

jump454

you don't happen to have any pictures of the back of the radio do you? Im trying to figure out how to get the cleanest satellite radio setup and was hoping for an extra usb port on the back or something along those lines. Thanks