GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Southbend stage 2 endurance

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
1.8T chiming in but I have a stage 3 endurance. The stage 3 is noticeably lighter than the OEM, but I completely forgot to weigh it. I have 0 chatter and pedal feels no different. But man the engagement and ability to hold boost is phenomenal. I regret not doing this upgrade sooner.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Just joined the SB club. Had the stage 2 Endurance Clutch installed on Monday along w Fluidampr and have put about 25 miles on it so far. Chatter is honestly not very noticable at idle but getting a lot of gear box noise at lower RPMs/speeds. Had BFI stage 2 trans/engine mounts installed at the same time so could be related to additional NVH from those.

Will put some miles on the setup over the next few weeks and report back with an update.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Just joined the SB club. Had the stage 2 Endurance Clutch installed on Monday along w Fluidampr and have put about 25 miles on it so far. Chatter is honestly not very noticable at idle but getting a lot of gear box noise at lower RPMs/speeds. Had BFI stage 2 trans/engine mounts installed at the same time so could be related to additional NVH from those.

Will put some miles on the setup over the next few weeks and report back with an update.

Now have about 350 total miles (mix city and hwy) on the new clutch kit. Chatter at idle still almost non-existent. Drivetrain noise is relatively loud while driving in 1-3 gears (usually up to 3k RPMs). Almost convinced I should take it by my mechanic again to have him make sure everything looks good. With the windows up at slow speeds, transmission noise is very noticeable (sounds like a grinding/scraping).

Can anyone confirm this is normal SMFW-related noise?

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Now have about 350 total miles (mix city and hwy) on the new clutch kit. Chatter at idle still almost non-existent. Drivetrain noise is relatively loud while driving in 1-3 gears (usually up to 3k RPMs). Almost convinced I should take it by my mechanic again to have him make sure everything looks good. With the windows up at slow speeds, transmission noise is very noticeable (sounds like a grinding/scraping).

I have the south bend stage 3 and I do have some gear chatter but it's not very loud, and no one has picked up on it, I just know is there. I posted some videos too, if you search you should be able to find them. From what I read stage 2 is louder then 3

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Also 1.8t and only just under 500 miles in, but I can report no chatter and completely OEM feel with my stage 2 endurance. It feels almost concerningly like stock, but definitely holds boost.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Update: Had a local tuning shop drive the car and they confirmed the gearbox noise was SMFW realted and inline with what they would expect given the stiffer mounts (BFI Stage 2).

I'm about 1500 miles into new kit. Gearbox noise has quieted as the clutch and mounts have broken in. Still slightly louder than stock but worth the tradeoff.

Clutch grips even harder now than when first installed, especially in low gears. Engagement point has risen a bit since initial installation. No unusually grinding noises or problems with engagement during fast shifting under acceleration (aggresive wot pulls, or autocross). SMFW makes downshifts a breeze. Would highly recommend this kit.

First track day scheduled for early October. Will let you all know how it performs.

mk6-k

Ready to race!
I feel the same way, I hardly hear it at all.

Chatter on my Stage 2 Daily is noticeable if you listen for it, but nothing remarkable or irritating in the slightest. Really I only notice it when I'm at a drive-thru and there is a wall right next to the car reflecting the sound. Other than that I never really notice.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Oem dmf is 27.9 and total is 41.2. I dont know weights of south bend but I know all the weights for dkm twin disc

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
I'm actually curious as well. Emailed Dave at South Bend Clutch to ask (specifically for the Stage 2 Endur kit KMK7F-HD-OCE). I'll let you know if/when I hear back.
Oem dmf is 27.9 and total is 41.2. I dont know weights of south bend but I know all the weights for dkm twin disc

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Mels15GTI

Ready to race!
I'm actually curious as well. Emailed Dave at South Bend Clutch to ask (specifically for the Stage 2 Endur kit KMK7F-HD-OCE). I'll let you know if/when I hear back.

It’ll be nice to find this out, I do know the endurance kit felt like it weighed closer to the 40lb mark.

Last edited:

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Dave responded first thing this morning. Sounds like total of about 33 lbs.

"Flywheel is around 19.5lbs and the clutch kit is around 13-14lbs."

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Definitely noticable. Car's even more lively and fun to drive (fast) than it was before. If you can live with a bit more noise than OEM, I'd strongly recommend this kit.
Nice work, 8/9 less than stock is a nice gain.

Mels15GTI

Ready to race!
Definitely noticable. Car's even more lively and fun to drive (fast) than it was before. If you can live with a bit more noise than OEM, I'd strongly recommend this kit.

I have it too, I had a tune on my car that was causing my stock clutch to slip, I wasn’t sure how much of the fun factor was clutch and how much was tune. Now I’m protuned, it handles the power fantastically!