GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil on plug thread

Paul E. Evans

Passed Driver's Ed
1.8 TSI 2016, build date 4/2015. 31K miles. Removed spark plug closest to passenger side. Fresh oil on outlined area of attached pic. Pic is not my plug, but I outlined the area where there was oil. Is this a concern? Thanks.

No other issues with engine.

c329a534ebcb53f5dce719e300924281.jpg

Paul E. Evans

Passed Driver's Ed
UPDATE dealer pulled all plugs, and checked for oil leaks including putting on hoist. They say its assembly fluids or lubricants. They found no oil. I will remove the same plug before warranty to reassess.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
UPDATE dealer pulled all plugs, and checked for oil leaks including putting on hoist. They say its assembly fluids or lubricants. They found no oil. I will remove the same plug before warranty to reassess.
I just pulled my plugs to check gap and noticed on my cylinder 1 and 4 plugs had stuff right where you said it was. It was sticky and dark though and didn't smell like oil. Seems like it's a substance they used for stock plugs. Just got a dark oil color due to the combustion and bs going on down there. Unless of course it's actually liquid oil and smells like it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

sergemcgraw83

Passed Driver's Ed

That was my first guess before I read this post honestly. Nothing to worry about.

Paul E. Evans

Passed Driver's Ed
UPDATE

UPDATE: checked plug today after letting car sit overnight. Oil on plug. Seeing dealer this week for warranty claim.

Attachments

• Spark Plug.jpg
    Spark Plug.jpg
    969.2 KB · Views: 450

Paul E. Evans

Passed Driver's Ed
UPDATE: dealer checked and found oil threads plugs 3 & 4. Because there are no exterior oil leaks, the amount of oil on threads did not constitute taking further action. I am not having consumption, oil leaking, or performance issues. They made a point to document it all should things get worse.

mk7_gsw

I did my plugs at 70k miles, my one spark plug by the coolant tank had the same residue of what looked like motor oil that was cooked a little, it was almost sticky. The rest had none, it might be some sort of assembly lube no idea but it was brown.