GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ZX10R vs GSXR1000 60-130s and street racing (NO MK7 CONTENT)

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Doing some comparisons between the 2016 ZX10R and 2018 GSXR1000 on the Dragy.

Both setups done by EJR Performance, both pump gas, stock motor, top tier bolt on/weight reduction setups. Same 175lb rider, same tuner, although the GSXR has $4000 carbon wheels and the 10R is on stock wheels. Those wheels take 12lbs of rotating weight off the GSXR, so that's a significant advantage.

Dragy record right now is 3.45, held by a fully built 911 Turbo. Expect that to fall soon!!

Keep in mind both of these pulls are notably uphill.

GSXR1000:

ZX10R:

Street racing, GSXR rider weighs 205 and and ZX10R rider is 175.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d55SYhVlG0&t=23s

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Very nice! Just watch out for those mean green ZX14r's on the prowl ;)

Just got data on a bolt-on and tuned Gen 2 ZX14R with a 160lb rider.

60-160 was almost a full second slower than the 10R, and he had a .67% decline (10R had 1.32% incline).

The 14R trapped 155, so it's no slouch, and it's considerably slower than the 10R or the GSXR1000.

Big bores are unbeatable with power adders or extreme top end racing, but their hp/weight ratio isn't as good as the 1000s.

Joel

Ready to race!
Put a 130 pounder that can keep the nose down on it...

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Don't the 2016 ZX10Rs have pretty much a race exhaust from the factory? I know they still have a catalyst in the muffler, but I remember that doing a full exhaust on them doesn't net much gain mainly because the stock header was hard to beat.

Most car people don't realize how much faster a bike is than a fast car in terms of acceleration.

Jesus these bikes have IMU/Yaw sensors in them now? I remember when suzuki put inertia based VVT but using 6 axis sensors and throttle by wire is pretty close to what racebikes used to use for their traction control.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Don't the 2016 ZX10Rs have pretty much a race exhaust from the factory? I know they still have a catalyst in the muffler, but I remember that doing a full exhaust on them doesn't net much gain mainly because the stock header was hard to beat.

Most car people don't realize how much faster a bike is than a fast car in terms of acceleration.

Jesus these bikes have IMU/Yaw sensors in them now? I remember when suzuki put inertia based VVT but using 6 axis sensors and throttle by wire is pretty close to what racebikes used to use for their traction control.

This ZX10R has a $2500 titanium header, which makes 0 peak whp more than stock. It does however make significant gains in the mid-range.

The new 10Rs are actually pretty slow out of the box...the stock cat and stock tune take all the power out of them. The engines are incredible but they can't breathe stock. Just a slip on (which deletes the cat on these bikes) and a reflash nets huge gains.

As far as TC and ABS, they're getting insanely advanced. Awesome technology.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Slip on has been the way to go since like the mid 2000s lol

Also nice to see power commander offers a wide band now, not just a fueling piggyback.

Still not a lot of people 'willing' to flash tune a bike around my parts though.

Try to preach that no TRE's are needed and you have absolute control over fueling in all parameters but...no dice.

The scary thing is that we're probably going to see power coming down over the next couple of years because of stricter euro emissions. Well at least out of the box lower power.

tknj99

Ready to race!
The scary thing is that we're probably going to see power coming down over the next couple of years because of stricter euro emissions. Well at least out of the box lower power.

I would think there is nothing to worry about for the foreseeable future as we are already seeing superchargers fitted to production bikes (H2) which should get around any loss of power from emissions

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Slip on has been the way to go since like the mid 2000s lol

Also nice to see power commander offers a wide band now, not just a fueling piggyback.

Still not a lot of people 'willing' to flash tune a bike around my parts though.

Try to preach that no TRE's are needed and you have absolute control over fueling in all parameters but...no dice.

Power Commanders and TREs...lol old school stuff.

You can do SO much more with Woolich now than any of the other bandaids.

Believe it or not, in the high gears you go faster with less timing than stock (once the timing retard parameters are removed). The ram air effect actually pushes you a hair beyond MBT on the stock tune above 150ish mph. We pull timing out of the stock tunes in 5th and 6th and the bikes go faster.

I would think there is nothing to worry about for the foreseeable future as we are already seeing superchargers fitted to production bikes (H2) which should get around any loss of power from emissions

The power is coming down out of the box, but the restrictions are forcing companies to build better engines. Then remove the emissions and they're animals.

The 10R motor is a perfect example. Its slow stock, but simple mods and it makes massive power and doesn't give a shit about octane. You can get close to peak power on 93 octane. Full E85 tune barely gains power, and even MR12 (oxygenated) doesn't make much more than 10whp.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Power Commanders and TREs...lol old school stuff.

You can do SO much more with Woolich now than any of the other bandaids.

Believe it or not, in the high gears you go faster with less timing than stock (once the timing retard parameters are removed). The ram air effect actually pushes you a hair beyond MBT on the stock tune above 150ish mph. We pull timing out of the stock tunes in 5th and 6th and the bikes go faster.

The power is coming down out of the box, but the restrictions are forcing companies to build better engines. Then remove the emissions and they're animals.

The 10R motor is a perfect example. Its slow stock, but simple mods and it makes massive power and doesn't give a shit about octane. You can get close to peak power on 93 octane. Full E85 tune barely gains power, and even MR12 (oxygenated) doesn't make much more than 10whp.

YoU mEaN tUrNiNg dOwN tHe TiMiNg mAkEs MoRe PoWeR????

Lol that and leaner isn't always meaner usually fucks people up pretty good.

Yes completely across the board on ALL engines on building better engines.

A lot of people want to have a war of words about HP and what it means, and really the best way to describe it is, work(torque) done over time.

There's more engines out in the wild today that make north of 200 hp than there ever has been.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion

No lol stock exhausts are extremely restrictive and heavy, my titanium exhaust is like 25 lbs less than stock or something stupid, plus they have to meet the Euro3 standards now