GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tow Hook Plate?????

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I’ve seen a Audi TT in my area that had a vinyl decal made, basically identical to his plate but narrower to fit shape of his car. Probably not legal but enough to distract the PoPo!

Guy I know did that on his Mk6 GLI to mirror his IL plate, but in Euro plate sizing. The police did not like that.

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
If the bumper is already drilled, use it. The tow hook mount can be more trouble than it's worth, even if the good ones didn't cost $100. Too easily stolen. If you park on the street or parking lots it will eventually get bent, along with your tag. If you (gasp!) use automatic carwashes, you need to remove it.

As someone else above mentioned - don't think there's much of a market for stolen front license plates. At least not where I live anyway. I suppose someone could go through the trouble to steal the mount to save themselves $100.

And is there a particular reason to remove it before auto car wash? I run the Rho Plate v2 and have been through touchless (and touch at the dealer) car washes numerous times with it on. It hasn't budged the tiniest bit.

One other thing - is the US Millworks compatible with DAP? I thought it was not. But it's been a while since I was shopping for tow hook mounts, so not sure if I remember correctly or if they've changed their design. I use the Rho Plate v2 because it was one of the few that works with DAP.

But yeah, if you already got the holes already, just use them. It is difficult to make the holes look perfect without re-painting the bumper.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
One other thing - is the US Millworks compatible with DAP? I thought it was not. But it's been a while since I was shopping for tow hook mounts, so not sure if I remember correctly or if they've changed their design. I use the Rho Plate v2 because it was one of the few that works with DAP.

The last time I viewed it, it was not. And since I was in my friends 2017 Golf R with DAP, I can see why they mention to not use one if you have DAP. Just pulling out of his garage, the front sensors and rear cross traffic monitoring sensors were going haywire lol.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
And is there a particular reason to remove it before auto car wash? I run the Rho Plate v2 and have been through touchless (and touch at the dealer) car washes numerous times with it on. It hasn't budged the tiniest bit.

Not sure about that mount, but on the one I have (Platypus) something could definitely get caught behind it or wrapped around it inside the auto-wash.

So for me I'm not really worried about it taking the plate off so much as something being powered by a strong motor wrapping around it and me being unhappy about whatever results.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
You never hear europeans complaining about the fact that they must attach a front license plate to their precious bumper, they just do it and motor on. Seems to only be a USA "problem" for whatever reason.

I lived 40 years of my life in Germany. Europeans also complain but the know w/o a plate they get in trouble. In the US the requirement depends on the state you are in and many cops don’t care.

I used 3M trim tape to attach my german plates, others relocate the plate as well or try to get the smallest possible combination in order to get a smaller single line or double line plate.

At the end it is here and there similar. It’s a first world problem for the guys that want to be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
using a rhoplate. canada =D

I like it very much. were no holes drilled into my front bumper and i didnt want to cover the front grill air openings.

good point about stealability.... not sure what the market for front plates with no tags is =D but those people couldve just unscrewed the fcking things anyway if they so badly wanted one.... never heard of that but a valid point

IMO, this looks worse than a regular center front mount plate. Super distracting...

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
As someone else above mentioned - don't think there's much of a market for stolen front license plates. At least not where I live anyway. I suppose someone could go through the trouble to steal the mount to save themselves $100.

But yeah, if you already got the holes already, just use them. It is difficult to make the holes look perfect without re-painting the bumper.

In bad areas stolen plates could be used on a car used in a crime, but it's kind of silly to think the tow hook is more likely to be stolen :confused: a regular plate is held on with 2-4 screws... lol

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
Looks cooler in person.

Good point on the robot carwashes tho. I dont like those but now will make sure not to use them with it on.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
IMO, the stock mounting looks WAY better that the towhook mount.

I respect that, it does add symmetry. But I do love the offset look. To each his own

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I lived 40 years of my life in Germany. Europeans also complain but the know w/o a plate they get in trouble. In the US the requirement depends on the state you are in and many cops don’t care.

I used 3M trim tape to attach my german plates, others relocate the plate as well or try to get the smallest possible combination in order to get a smaller single line or double line plate.

At the end it is here and there similar. It’s a first world problem for the guys that want to be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very interesting, it really is a first world problem that is absolutely negligible in the larger scheme of cars and even more so life, but it's a good problem to have I guess haha. I do love how German plates have markings for each stadt, I remember in German class when our teaching showed us all the plates.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I have the Platypus. Only car wash I've ever used was at the dealer, and I have no idea what they use there. I forgot to decline the "complimentary" car wash once and after that said the hell with it, and have had no issues.

I too actually like the offset look. That being said, if the dealer had already drilled the holes, i'd have just mounted the friggin plate. Don't care much one way or the other.