GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is the GTI Sporty Enough for me?

ducrcr

Just sell your car and stop fucking spewing hate!
Plenty people here have no issues with their GTI so maybe it’s just you and you manifest your own troubles!
Life’s too short to to put such negative energy in something you can just sell and move on, may take a loss but you and everyone else on this forum will be happier for it!!

Good advice! Aldi must be a deeply unhappy person to spend so much time & energy being repetitively, pointlessly negative. :rolleyes:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Jeez, people so mean to poor Aldy.

He's like...our only troll. Stop trying to chase him away, it's not a forum unless you have at least one :D

Audog

Passed Driver's Ed
Burns a quart every 3k miles ,has been in the shop 10 times squeaking sunroof louder than ever and it’s starting to rust. I hate fcking volkswagen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sell the thing and take the bus if you have to. If you "hate fcking volkswagen" why are you trolling on a VW GTI forum???

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Fed's not a troll, he's the residing Old Fart. Cranky, a bit forgetful, but we all love him.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Fed's not a troll, he's the residing Old Fart. Cranky, a bit forgetful, but we all love him.

Eh he goes on a lot of threads telling people they'll slip their DSG clutches on a Stage 1 tune without uprated clutchpacks. That's trolling.

Unreal1

Autocross Champion
I'm surprised that the consensus seems to be that an 05 TT is sportier than a new GTI. I'll take the look and performance of an mk7 GTI over an old generation TT, but I guess I'm alone on that.

No it’s front heavy and most of the time you get no traction. It’s okay if you are going downhill and it’s dry other than that no traction. It drives okay but if you push it get ready to plow through corners with massive amounts of under steer. Not sporty at all just a cheap fwd with a slight engine upgrade

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A RSB and better tires fixes that. But, stock, yes you're right (regarding under steer and traction). I would assume an 05 TT is going to suffer from understeer as well though.

Last edited:

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
The golf is one of those platforms in which the direction of the car is entirely up to the driver. It can be as sporty as you want and play "hunt the vette" with a few k and good mechanics, or can be your daily grocery getter.

However, OP, the car is A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT animal tuned vs. untuned. More so than any other car I have driven in my life. Untuned the GTI is the farthest thing from "sporty."

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
If you are looking for suggestions in comparable price range test drive a 370z that ought to be sporty enough for you

Ok...ok...the GTI bashing I can take but did you honestly recommend a Z? You consider that hog a sports car in 2017? Have you ever driven one? This is coming from someone who went to a nissan dealer right before checking out the GTI with his mind 80% set on buying a sport model. Then I drove it, for a good 45 minutes, and realized why no one is buying these anymore. The thing feels its age (almost 10 years now), the engine is sluggish, and the entire driving experience was not enjoyable. I felt like I was driving a small nissan altima.

Even with 300+hp, it felt slow and there isn't much potential for cheap performance mods as it is NA. At least give a decent recommendation for God sakes. First you make awful life decisions by purchasing a $25K+ vehicle you clearly did not research well enough, now you're advocating others make awful purchasing decisions....get yourself together man.

And for God's sake do NOT get a Civic Type R. Nothing screams low-T like watching some middle-age guy try to fold/unfold himself into/out of one. All those wings and styling add-ons etc. are like a teenager flying around his member for for all the girls to see. I prefer to keep mine under wraps but still be pleasantly surprising :D.

I hear you, I would probably rip that stupid ass wing off for starters. Still, for the performance potential in that price, its a good value (at msrp or below) and I could see myself excusing some of the awful styling if I was in the market. It would have to be a low key color too.

I do like the front of it though. In fact, I like it alot. Its the rest of it that kills the look for me from the side to the back.

Hold out for 19 and get a supra

This is honestly the top reason I haven't slapped a bunch of performance mods on my car just yet. In my garage I have a crap ton of parts just sitting waiting to be installed...except I'm still waiting to hear solid numbers on the damn supra. Its annoying they haven't released much info yet.

If its $40K or below, has solid performance numbers, and looks decent, I'm gonna probably make the tough decision and say bye to the GTI :D kind of hoping its a overpriced neutered Z4 though, will be easier on the wallet.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
The is the first I'm hearing of a new Supra. Tell me more.

Unreal1

Autocross Champion
Ok...ok...the GTI bashing I can take but did you honestly recommend a Z? You consider that hog a sports car in 2017? Have you ever driven one? This is coming from someone who went to a nissan dealer right before checking out the GTI with his mind 80% set on buying a sport model. Then I drove it, for a good 45 minutes, and realized why no one is buying these anymore. The thing feels its age (almost 10 years now), the engine is sluggish, and the entire driving experience was not enjoyable. I felt like I was driving a small nissan altima.

Even with 300+hp, it felt slow and there isn't much potential for cheap performance mods as it is NA. At least give a decent recommendation for God sakes. First you make awful life decisions by purchasing a $25K+ vehicle you clearly did not research well enough, now you're advocating others make awful purchasing decisions....get yourself together man.

Both of you guys are being dramatic. The 370z feels like an Altima? Lol. It's an apples to oranges comparison but the 370z is sportier than the gti and faster. There's nothing wrong with suggesting the Z if he's prioritizing sport.