GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Noob question about power cut

Delasangre4231

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys and gals. So most of my life I've dealt with naturally aspirated vehicles so tunes and turbos are relatively new to me.

I bought a 2016 GTI PP w/DSG and it came with APR stage 1 and APR intake.

When I launch (not using launch control) with moderate throttle to avoid wheel spin, hit 2nd and roll into power then WOT shift to 3rd and it bogs like it's cutting power. If I quickly pull my foot off the accelerator and go right back to WOT I get full power back. Do I need a DSG tune? Wondering if this is the torque limitation their DSG tune raises.

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
Hey guys and gals. So most of my life I've dealt with naturally aspirated vehicles so tunes and turbos are relatively new to me.

When I launch (not using launch control) with moderate throttle to avoid wheel spin, hit 2nd and roll into power then WOT shift to 3rd and it bogs like it's cutting power. If I quickly pull my foot off the accelerator and go right back to WOT I get full power back. Do I need a DSG tune? Wondering if this is the torque limitation their DSG tune raises.

sounds like the car itself is cutting power to get traction. Mine used to do it....are you turning off everything? It almost feels like a fuel cut like a slight hesitation then takes off again

Delasangre4231

Passed Driver's Ed
That's not what this does. I do this in sport with ECS in sport. It hits 3rd and holds low power until I let off. It's really weird.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
When you say it came with APR Stage 1, do you know if both the ECU and TCU were flashed?

nype

Drag Racing Champion

nype

Drag Racing Champion

Can you reproduce with DSG in manual mode?

What fuel?

Sounds like what my car was doing with the JB1 and the crap fuel we have here.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
I actually just experienced this for the first time last night, except mine is an R with manual transmission.

Went WOT in 2nd gear and after shifting into 3rd, power bog. The car boosted to the mid teens instead of mid 20's from 4.5k to 5.5k, then it went full power.

The difference is I never lifted and got back in throttle while this was happening.

No EPC, logs looked normal .. Just no full boost.

Hopefully we get an answer to this.

Delasangre4231

Passed Driver's Ed
When you say it came with APR Stage 1, do you know if both the ECU and TCU were flashed?

Just the ECU is stage 1, no DSG tune.

It does it with the trans in S or manual.

Starting Vibration and torque limiter are off. Also set the XDS diff lock thing to weak.

Delasangre4231

Passed Driver's Ed

Delasangre4231

Passed Driver's Ed
Still having the problem. Falls on it's face shifting from 2 to 3 or 3 to 4 and no CEL or stumbling, it's just a smooth power loss as if the ECU isn't asking for boost or something.

Doesn't seem to matter what drive mode or what configuration the traction control or ECS is in.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Still having the problem. Falls on it's face shifting from 2 to 3 or 3 to 4 and no CEL or stumbling, it's just a smooth power loss as if the ECU isn't asking for boost or something.

Doesn't seem to matter what drive mode or what configuration the traction control or ECS is in.

Sounds like you need to find a way to log the pulls and see if there are any standouts in to regards to what is happening.

Aluizio

Ready to race!

Hi!

Did you find a solution for this problem?

I'm with a similar problem on my is38 DSG gti. When the DSG automatically shift in WOT from 2 to 3 and from 3 to 4 the car cuts boost. Instead of 1.6 bar it cuts the boost to 1.0 or less...
What is weird is that if I shift by myself (changing the DSG to manual mode) the boost is not reduced.

Delasangre4231

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi!

Did you find a solution for this problem?

I'm with a similar problem on my is38 DSG gti. When the DSG automatically shift in WOT from 2 to 3 and from 3 to 4 the car cuts boost. Instead of 1.6 bar it cuts the boost to 1.0 or less...
What is weird is that if I shift by myself (changing the DSG to manual mode) the boost is not reduced.

Is your DSG tuned? For me I think its the other way round. I haven't really payed attention when in auto so I am not sure if it cuts, this problem for me is in manual mode. I just ordered a dongle from Ross-tech so I will be taking some data logs since APR isn't helping at all.