GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

Old 04-17-2019, 02:04 AM   #1
TBdaGhost

Drives: 2015 GTI
Question Regarding Wheel Alignment

Hi guys. Got what very well may be a dumb question but here goes.

2015 GTI

Dealer today recommended a wheel alignment. I was going to go ahead with it but the weren't able to get to it today.

Wondering does this look pretty bad? The car and steering wheel isn't shaking at all. It drives straight. I haven't noticed anything odd at all.

Also about the part on the bottom of the pic, am I able to take it somewhere else to have it done or should I realy just take it to the dealership.

Thanks guys

TBdaGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:09 AM   #2
jimlloyd40

Drives: 2018 Golf GTI SE
The car and steering wheel won't shake unless a wheel is out of balance or if you are on the brakes and your steering wheel goes back and forth you have out of round rotors. If you need an alignment your tires won't be wearing evenly. Look at your tread if the tires are wearing evenly your car does not need an alignment.
jimlloyd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:25 AM   #3
Golfs everyday

Drives: 17 Golf-R
If the alignment rack is caliberated correctly, then yeah, that alignment looks pretty bad. That's got to have some severe thrust angle.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:56 AM   #4
jimlloyd40

Drives: 2018 Golf GTI SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfs everyday View Post
If the alignment rack is caliberated correctly, then yeah, that alignment looks pretty bad. That's got to have some severe thrust angle.
Also if it's correct the tire wear should be obvious.
jimlloyd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:36 AM   #5
jbm119

Drives: 18 GTI SE 6mt Deep Blackpearl
Must be cornering good when turning left.

I would get that aligned.
jbm119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #6
russiankid

Drives: Das Auto
You won't be able to correct that front camber, not adjustable.
russiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:13 PM   #7
VWGTI

Drives: 2015 VW GTI Mk7 LP, 2018 Subaru STI VA
Is your steering wheel even straight when driving down the road? Seems like it would be crab walking a bit
2015 Carbon Steel Gray GTI | GIAC Stage 2 Tune | Milltek Cat-Back Exhaust | CTS Turbo 3.5" Downpipe | VWR Sport Springs | 034 Rear Sway Bar | Adjustable Rear Endlinks | Neuspeed RSe10 | Michelin PSS | Helix Euro LED Brake Lights | DeAutoLED Reverse Lights
VWGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #8
TBdaGhost

Drives: 2015 GTI
Steering wheel is straight, I realy haven't noticed anything while driving. The tire wear isn't noticeably uneven but I use winter tires a few months of the year and the tires are rotated at that time.

I'm just going to get it done at the dealer. It doesn't cost too much. Is it true they can't adjust the front though?
TBdaGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:51 PM   #9
Gibberoni

Drives: 2015 GTI SE (LP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBdaGhost View Post
Steering wheel is straight, I realy haven't noticed anything while driving. The tire wear isn't noticeably uneven but I use winter tires a few months of the year and the tires are rotated at that time.

I'm just going to get it done at the dealer. It doesn't cost too much. Is it true they can't adjust the front though?
I am pretty sure they can. I took my car to a dealer and they aligned it (not to my satisfaction, couldnt get the fronts in line) so I took it to the VW indy shop in my area (Eurofed) and they got me all square.

I am not sure if its because I am on coils they could adjust it... or if the VW shop was just lazy.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:09 PM   #10
jenner

Drives: GTI
you can fix the front camber a bit with a subframe shift, but its more advanced stuff most shops would not bother with.
jenner is offline   Reply With Quote