GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis - Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GOLFMK7. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GOLFMK7 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK7 so we can keep this place running!

Old 04-17-2019, 12:20 AM   #1
Alpha61

Drives: 2016 VW Golf GTI Autobahn w/ Performance Pkg
Rear sway bar and end links

Dear all,

About to purchase a rear sway bar, but they (sales) mentioned that I should upgrade the end links from stock. Looking at the APR rear sway bar. Thoughts? Actual evidence?
2016 Golf GTI Autobahn w/ Perf. Pack, bought @ 44k miles 8/18, mods: APR St.2 ECU/TCU, APR DP, APR intake, APR midpipe, Mishimoto Intercooler and full charge piping, Unitronic Turbo Inlet Elbow, APR Dogbone Insert, APR front/rear sway bar, Intake cutout, grill cutout, more to come...
Alpha61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:38 AM   #2
Charlotte.:R

Drives: '18 Golf R
Check out Moog, they have zerk fittings. Solid and low cost.
Charlotte.:R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:56 AM   #3
Sumfuncomet

Drives: 2017 Alltrack 6mt, 2018 GTI, Ducati 999
I second that, I have 034 rsb with Moog HD links, they were 45.00 from Rock Auto. Well made, greasable links!
2017 Alltrack S, 6mt. APR intake, turbo inlet and intake tube. 034 Motorsport rear sway bar with Moog greaseable rear links. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted rotors, G2 red calipers. Motegi Traklites, Firestone Firehawk 225/50/17. Southbend Stage 3 daily. IS20, APR downpipe, IE intercooler, APR IS20 91 octane tune.
Golf R front upper grille.
Sumfuncomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:43 AM   #4
Alpha61

Drives: 2016 VW Golf GTI Autobahn w/ Performance Pkg
Ok, but what does it provide over the stock ones?
2016 Golf GTI Autobahn w/ Perf. Pack, bought @ 44k miles 8/18, mods: APR St.2 ECU/TCU, APR DP, APR intake, APR midpipe, Mishimoto Intercooler and full charge piping, Unitronic Turbo Inlet Elbow, APR Dogbone Insert, APR front/rear sway bar, Intake cutout, grill cutout, more to come...
Alpha61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:41 AM   #5
c72k

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
They’re metal rather than the stock plastic
c72k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:57 AM   #6
Sub-to-Dub

Drives: '17 GTI Sport 6MT
I don't think upgraded links are absolutely necessary but I imagine they will last longer than plastic. That's why I upgraded when I installed my rear swaybar. That and I was already under the car getting dirty.

Worst case is you run the stock ones and upgrade later if they break, you find a good sale, get the mod bug, etc.

The Moog endlinks mentioned above are a popular choice because they're metal instead of plastic, affordable, and should be quieter than most aftermarket alternatives. Plus the Zerk fittings for adding grease are a nice feature. The only downside I can see is that they'll pick up some surface rust pretty quickly, although nothing a quick coat of paint can't fix.
Sub-to-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:58 AM   #7
Charlotte.:R

Drives: '18 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumfuncomet View Post
I second that, I have 034 rsb with Moog HD links, they were 45.00 from Rock Auto. Well made, greasable links!
Same combo, works great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha61 View Post
Zerk fittings to grease, and:

Quote:
Originally Posted by c72k View Post
They’re metal rather than the stock plastic
Charlotte.:R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:43 AM   #8
Niol8r

Got Moog end links in the front and back. Love em even slammed on coilovers. I may upgrade to adjustable ones in the future, but meh

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Niol8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #9
ccbird

Drives: 2016 Golf R DCC/NAV/DAP, 2014 SQ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha61 View Post
Also went moog on my setup, main thing it got me was not having the hassle of removing the stock links. I tried and they were a pain in the a** to get off.

Moog solved that issue as well as an inexpensive upgrade that are a quality product.
ccbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:06 PM   #10
gregprep29

Drives: 2016 SE, DSG, PP
#MoogLife from Rock Auto. Worth putting them in so you don't have to worry about the stock plastic ones going
Old 04-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #11
sprinks

Drives: GTI Mk7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbird View Post
Also went moog on my setup, main thing it got me was not having the hassle of removing the stock links. I tried and they were a pain in the a** to get off.

Moog solved that issue as well as an inexpensive upgrade that are a quality product.
in case anyone else sees this, the trick to them is apparently impact wrench for removal. Otherwise it's the torx to fix the bolt in place and box wrench to get the nut off (slow and steady). I cracked one (the bolt at the torx bit) during reinstall back in the day and used it as the excuse to upgrade/replace to moogs. Worth it. Getting that cracked one off was a pain though.

Heads up, moog also makes front end links with the greasable zerk fittings as well.

wheelwell & GTI mk7 journal
sprinks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #12
dietcokefiend

Drives: 2019 VW GTI Rabbit Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinks View Post
in case anyone else sees this, the trick to them is apparently impact wrench for removal. Otherwise it's the torx to fix the bolt in place and box wrench to get the nut off (slow and steady). I cracked one (the bolt at the torx bit) during reinstall back in the day and used it as the excuse to upgrade/replace to moogs. Worth it. Getting that cracked one off was a pain though.

Heads up, moog also makes front end links with the greasable zerk fittings as well.

Are those Torx or Triple Square?
dietcokefiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:59 PM   #13
sprinks

Drives: GTI Mk7
i seem to recall them being torx, but it's been a while since i had to mess with them.

*edit* quick search shows they're triple square.

wheelwell & GTI mk7 journal
sprinks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #14
blaqsheep

Drives: MK7.5 GTI
The stock end links have a 6mm triple square you need to hold while using a 16mm wrench.

The Moog endlinks just need an open ended wrench to hold the washer (I think it was like 17mm or so) and a 15mm socket to tighten the bolt. Keep in mind the end links are bare metal so either paint them or use some rust proofing spray so keep them in good shape. They have a zerk fitting for a grease gun which is nice too. A worthy upgrade since you're there already and they're cheap from Rockauto.

I did the install over the weekend and a tip for anyone doing these is put the end links onto the sway bar first before putting them back in the control arms. There is very little room for a socket to fit in because of the rear springs.
blaqsheep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
end, links, sway bar