GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

(Break-in/Run-in) "Accidentally" floored a GTI during the test drive... is that bad?

barisk

Ready to race!
new cars dont need a run in. keeping it red line all the time is bad once and then is not a problem
i did it my way. went to tune my car normally it haf 105 bhp. after a clean dyno test it had 108 bhp. its all about runnong it in driving it to slowly in makes it abit lazy.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I raced a bmw 328i an hour later i bought the car and i walked, 4,000 miles later, still goes great. Our cars are purpose built, the more harder/longer you drive (exception in warm up period) the more reliable it'll become. I beat the shit out of my mk6 gti since 500 miles after ownership everyday, all i had was waterpump failure at 9,800 miles and subframe knocking issues (due to pothole), my clutch has slipped (due to apr tune). 34,600 mk6 got totaled, car has been reliable and drove, if not better just like the day i drove it home.

Nyanga

Ready to race!
Nuvo,

You make a key point.

jonht96

As has basically been said as long as you aren't repeatedly beating the shit out of your car throughout the break in phase you're fine. It's kind of like a kid as a parent you're prolly gonna mess up a few times in their early developmental stages but things will be alright as long as you try to keep mistakes to a minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tallgeese

Passed Driver's Ed
Quite frankly, engine break in advice varies from engine builder to engine builder.

And while a factory assembled engine is quite different from a purpose-purpose-built forged engine, I use the same method.

Conventional oil and driven hard for 500 and then again at 1000 miles. Change over to synthetic and never look back.

Last edited:

sheesbest

We put new R,s on the track daily for high performance driver training no run in ever as there sometimes is no time they do just fine day after day. Get them hot first and cool them down. They run like Watches.

OHHFSHO

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, all jokes aside, you will be fine :)

I'm sure that if you bought a GTI that has more than 20 miles on it was probably floored by someone that test drove it. lol

and yes, you'll be perfectly fine.

GTI-7-Performance

Ready to race!
This was during a test drive? I did the same that's what test drives are for - and a good reason for never buying an ex-demonstrator...

Whackamac

Ready to race!
I was smart and didn't buy the car I test drove.... I don't think you should either... :)

I left her dripping...

Chuck2001

Ready to race!
Always restrain yourself until the car if fully warmed (longer in winter time...).

Because that put a loss of stress to components (engine, turbo, drivetrain, etc...).

Don't worry about redlining it during break-in period.
Once fully warmed, I always get on the freeway with my new cars. I make sure there is noone near in the back, slow down to about 25 mph, get in 3rd gear, and make a full throttle pull up near the redline. In my head (may be psychologial lol), I think I'm helping the piston seals to be tight.

Never got a car burning oil, never yet.

I'll make sure I do the same with my 2016 R next summer.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Test drove a few. Not bought any of those. The one I buy will be just delivered to and/or ordered from the dealership and not driven, or drilled for a front plate.

Phon C

Any new info on this topic?
I just got my new 2015 gti and salesman said there was no need to drive slow, should only make sure oil temperature is above 90 degree C°. I was looking in the manual but there is no mention of it.
My previous passat and touareg both said in the manual to limit the rpm for the first 1500km. But nothing on the gti.

I think we shouldn't have to be "investigating " online to find this info, and the dealer and manual should mention it. Since they don't I think it might be old school.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Any new info on this topic?
I just got my new 2015 gti and salesman said there was no need to drive slow, should only make sure oil temperature is above 90 degree C°. I was looking in the manual but there is no mention of it.
My previous passat and touareg both said in the manual to limit the rpm for the first 1500km. But nothing on the gti.

I think we shouldn't have to be "investigating " online to find this info, and the dealer and manual should mention it. Since they don't I think it might be old school.

Were the Passat/touareg TDI? Might have something to do with it. These engines are pre broken in, you have nothing to worry about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk