GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Questions about changing wheels

Verichai

Passed Driver's Ed
2017 GTI, looking to install my winter wheels, have a couple of questions:

1) Are the wheel bolts the same for the VW Austin wheels (summer) and VW Goal wheels (winter)? Do I need specific bolts for the winter wheels or can I just swap the wheels out and use the same bolts?

2) I'm not sure how to go about taking the wheel off. I realize this should be pretty straight forward, but I'm not sure what tool I need to remove the lugs. I didn't see a security adapter under my trunk floor. Where would that be? My lugs appear to have a black cap with a star-shaped hole...what type/size tool do I need to remove the lugs?

3) What do I need to do as far as the TPMS when swapping the wheels out? I assume there is some type of recalibration procedure that needs to followed?

Thanks guys!

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
1) wheel bolts are exact same, so just swap the wheel. The only time you need to use different bolts is on after market wheels (ball seat vs conical).

2) there's a small right angle tool under the rear floor, with a loop for your finger. Use that to pry the black plastic caps off.... Or s screw driver.

3). Do the other wheels have the tpms sensor in them?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Our cars use the ABS system to determine tire pressure so you don't need to worry bout the TPMS

Resetting new pressures is really easy, it can be done through the touch screen.

Those black caps are actually just caps. The lug bolts are beneath them.

Last edited:

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
1-bolts should be the same for OEM wheels, check that both wheels are “ball” seat type
2-If you have never taken wheels off any car I’d suggest search for some videos or read the user manual that came with the car. In a nutshell, park the car on the level surface, pull the plastic caps off (there is a tool supplied with the lug wrench for this, located under the trunk floor).
APPLY THE PARKING BRAKE!!!
Loosen the lug bolts using 17 mm socket or lug wrench supplied with the car. Jack up the car, remove lug bolts and take the wheel off.
Put the new wheel on, tighen all lug bolts by hand, lower the car slowly and then tighten the lug nuts with torque wrench to specified torque or if you don’t have it, hand tight will be OK.
3-These cars do not have TPMS sensors in the wheels so all you have to do is go to your car infotainment system and confirm the tire pressure.

I strongly suggest reading the manual first.

Verichai

Passed Driver's Ed
Great stuff. I have changed wheels many times on my other cars, haven't done it yet on the GTI. I was also looking for the socket size, so knowing it's 17mm is really helpful. Thanks!