GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying a golf R

Subie

Thinking of buying a 2018 Golf R with a 6 speed m/t. Currently driving a 2018 Subaru WRX and it’s a great car but I’m tired of having to worry about blowing my engine every time I drive it. It’s far from stock and it’s probably gonna send a rod through my block eventually. How are these golf r’s engine wise, looking for a daily that I can just drive and not worry about every time I drive. Obvs not gonna be near the power as my Subaru but they seem like fun cars for what they are. Any one else go from a Subaru to a golf r?

joshdub

Passed Driver's Ed
Stock for stock, a Golf R has more power than a WRX and the fa20dit isn't going to just grenade in stock form. Just leave your WRX stock and let the warranty take care of whatever happens if it happens.

Not to mention the hit you'd take in depreciation plus the price difference between a WRX could pay for a few fa20dits

_cruster

Ready to race!
Why wouldn’t you just go back to stock? Seems like that would meet your needs, and be a heck of a lot cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
What are the current mods on your WRX and why are you modding your vehicle if you are too worried about the consequences.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
How are these golf r’s engine wise, looking for a daily that I can just drive and not worry about every time I drive. Obvs not gonna be near the power as my Subaru but they seem like fun cars for what they are.

So, since your WRX is "far from stock" - I would imagine you would modify your Golf R as well, no? Because the Golf R is way more "tame" than your subaru from the factory. So you'll want to feel the power more. With that said, less than $2K in mods will net you 350-360AWHP, for a simple Stage 2 tune. Stage 1 is like 320-330 AWHP. So unless your WRX is ultra built, I don't think you'll be disappointed in what the R is capable of powerwise.

Additionally, the Golf R engine can handle up to 450HP/TQ relatively safely. These blocks are super stout (for being stock).

Get the R. You'll love it. You will need a new clutch if you raise power above stock, though. The stock clutches are made of glass.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Stock for stock, a Golf R has more power than a WRX and the fa20dit isn't going to just grenade in stock form. Just leave your WRX stock and let the warranty take care of whatever happens if it happens.

Not to mention the hit you'd take in depreciation plus the price difference between a WRX could pay for a few fa20dits

He said the WRX is "Far from stock"

Subie

Got everything I could do with stock turbo and block, egr/tgv deletes, upgraded tmic, full turboback, ebcs, basically anything to make power with stock turbo. I hear good things about these golf r’s and that they make good gains and for almost no money also. Just have no clue about reliability and drivability

SRoads

Ready to race!
Did you not do any research before throwing a bunch of money at your brand new car?....anyway. Expect to get around 70% of what you paid on for it a year ago(32-35K CA) on trade(i'm guessing around 22-24K CA) and zero value for your parts. You would probably be better getting it back to as close to stock as possible if you can. Unless you can find some youngster with more cash than brains you will take it off your hand for you as is or find a guy to give you a conservative tune on your build and keep what you got.

If you really want an R you should look for a CPO DSG 2016+ R, put a $600 tune on in, then leave the rest alone.

https://ca.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...sed=3&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true

Last edited:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Got everything I could do with stock turbo and block, egr/tgv deletes, upgraded tmic, full turboback, ebcs, basically anything to make power with stock turbo. I hear good things about these golf r’s and that they make good gains and for almost no money also. Just have no clue about reliability and drivability

They are reliable. And very, very driveable.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
GTI owner who test drove WRX....the Subie was faster but not as much fun to drive....how impt is speed rather than the sensation of speed

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I had a WRX in front of me floor it on a straightaway and I walked right back up behind him no problem. That was when I was stock. WRXs are considerably heavier and have greater power loss to the wheels all because of the AWD. They're really only faster from a hard launch. Auto journalists also complain about the ECU in WRXs pulling timing.

edit: oops, forgot this was about the R lol. I blame Mud for throwing me off :D

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I suppose one thing to keep in mind on the Golf-R MT is that the clutch is apparently designed for a stock engine. Premature wear possible if power is increased.

Otherwise I think you’ll like the Golf-R. WRX Limited is also nice though if one keeps it at Stage1 Plus (Cobb) and muffler delete. Not as fast as a stage1 GTI but still fun to drive and handles like a champ with its vectoring program.

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
Why wouldn’t you just go back to stock? Seems like that would meet your needs, and be a heck of a lot cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because if the car blows up after he goes back to stock, they'll still be able to tell it was tuned and his warranty claim will be denied.