GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gas mileage drops in the cold

Reboot

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok that explains it, half my commute in the morning and afternoon is bumber to bumber traffic, I wish my commute was 90% highway driving at 80mph.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I've heard of one member that can easily get 480 mile per tank...I got 400 once 350 is when my light tends to come on (50 mile reserve)

back roads with little traffic/hwy with not much traffic 95 % sedate commute driving 5% having fun

Mud

Last edited:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Jesus Christ how the hell are you getting 380-400 miles on a tank? I can barely get 250-260 miles out of my tank.

I sense you press the gas pedal hard. :p

350 seems just as normal as 250 from a tank to me.

I know if I blast it everywhere I go and don't log enough highway miles it's really common to see the fuel light before you hit 300 miles.

VdubbinCT

Ready to race!
What kinda driving are you doing to get such high mileage? I'm lucky to get 300 when I drive like a grandma and the planets line up... Also I believe engines should be more efficient in the cold due to the denser air? Maybe its not the weather making the difference, instead it could be the winter formulated gas?

That is what just shows up, 375-400 and I fill with 87 if that makes any difference. Most times I am still getting 325ish in the cold. But when I fill it seems to show 300 miles on the range right after filling up. I drive city and highway, an equal combo of both i'd say

H2O_Doc

Ready to race!
I don't think most people actually give a damn to hand calculate... hell, even knowing how much people do on a tank is impressive... most people just say "oh this car is so good on gas, 40 bucks last me two weeks, my old jeep used to cost me 120 bucks every week :rolleyes:"

I traded this:

For this:

Due to a change in commute (3mi one way to 26mi in way).

I went from 12-14 mpg to low 30s (if I can avoid bumper to bumper traffic). My best so far is a car-calculated 33 mpg over a tank of gas. Can consistently reach the 30s. Northern VA traffic, so not bad.

I lamented giving up the fun of driving a big-o Jeep, but found (to my surprise) that a gti is fun-er.

Tsi7

Ready to race!
I traded this:

For this:

Due to a change in commute (3mi one way to 26mi in way).

I went from 12-14 mpg to low 30s (if I can avoid bumper to bumper traffic). My best so far is a car-calculated 33 mpg over a tank of gas. Can consistently reach the 30s. Northern VA traffic, so not bad.

I lamented giving up the fun of driving a big-o Jeep, but found (to my surprise) that a gti is fun-er.

Yea if I had a 3 mile commute, I wouldn't care as much about fuel consumption, because at that short of a commute a golf wouldn't be great on gas either... It wouldn't be 12-14 mpg, but on my old 4 mile commute I could see as low as 23 mpg... High would be 30 or maybe a little more if I was lucky to catch every green light