GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

manual vs dsg and why

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
How does that one make sense lol
You're getting a TD1 either way with or without the clutch needing to be replaced

Also, it depends on how much you're going to tune your car. I'm going with a bigger hybrid turbo and you need to get a TCU tune so the clutches dont eat themselves, I would rather replace a clutch on a manual than parts of a DSG in the case anything goes wrong.

All depends how much TQ you are trying to put down.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40591

Plus you can always upgrade the DSG clutch pack. Takes more time than a MT clutch job, but it's all nuts and bolts if you have the right tools.

Yoliber

Ready to race!
DSG

I was heavily leaning towards a manual but last minute switched into a DSG. I didnt like the golfs manual transmission, especially compared to the FoST. My girlfriend also thought I tried way smoother in the FoST than the GTI because I felt more connected to the car in the FoST. The gears are too tall imo and the throw is longer than I'd want (fixable ofc).

I also reflected back to when I had a manual that I prefer having a stick when I'm driving by myself but when I'm driving others I prefer an automatic. The Torque problem didnt bother me because my goal is 300 whp and I'm learning more and more stock is plenty enough for me.

I'm also loving all the DSG noise. I can sometimes hear it selecting the next gear in low speeds. It sounds like a rifle: bang, then loading up the next chamber. I don't regret getting the GTI's manual but I still think about that FoST.

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
The main reason why I went with a manual mk7.5 R was because I wanted a fun daily driver. I also hate the DSG “fart”. When I first heard it I thought the car was broken or something lol. DSG is faster of course, but I already have a fast auto car.

VWTURBOFAM

Ready to race!
How does that one make sense lol
You're getting a TD1 either way with or without the clutch needing to be replaced

Also, it depends on how much you're going to tune your car. I'm going with a bigger hybrid turbo and you need to get a TCU tune so the clutches dont eat themselves, I would rather replace a clutch on a manual than parts of a DSG in the case anything goes wrong.

Now sure what's funny? I didn't want to have to deal with replacing clutch eventually period. Believe me, i prefer a manual. As for how much I was going to tune my car, at the time, when it was brand new, I still didn't know.

It's not like i buy a brand new car and right there and then say to myself....hmmm? "I got a feeling about this one, I'm eventually going to go with a Stage III".

Glad you prefer the manual vs the dsg, but like i stated, I ALSO prefer the MANUAL. I'm not trying to convince you the DSG is better than the Manual, or vice versa. I just stated WHY I got the DSG instead of the Manual.

Welcome to the forum...

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Now sure what's funny? I didn't want to have to deal with replacing clutch eventually period. Believe me, i prefer a manual. As for how much I was going to tune my car, at the time, when it was brand new, I still didn't know.

It's not like i buy a brand new car and right there and then say to myself....hmmm? "I got a feeling about this one, I'm eventually going to go with a Stage III".

Glad you prefer the manual vs the dsg, but like i stated, I ALSO prefer the MANUAL. I'm not trying to convince you the DSG is better than the Manual, or vice versa. I just stated WHY I got the DSG instead of the Manual.

Welcome to the forum...

I think you missed the point to his LOL.. he's LOLing at the fact that your going to be TD1 no matter which tune you have and it has nothing to do with going manual or DSG, and that's what doesn't make sense in your statement

VWTURBOFAM

Ready to race!
I think you missed the point to his LOL.. he's LOLing at the fact that your going to be TD1 no matter which tune you have and it has nothing to do with going manual or DSG, and that's what doesn't make sense in your statement

I stand corrected :) but my main point was that I didn't want to have to upgrade my clutch (had I gone manual) eventually when I tuned. Let's move on.