GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking of getting a MK7 ...

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Nothing wrong with a basic golf 1.8TSI, although I’m sure you could afford a mk7 gti if you sold the bmw outright and bought the gti rather than getting burnt on a trade deal.

Anyway, the 1.8 can make impressive gains cheap and easy. Is20 turbo off a gti and Jb4 and you’ve got stock gti power plus some. Overall the golf is nicer than your current 335 and the tech alone is a big upgrade, which is nice in a daily driver.

Either way go for it, you won’t regret it.

PS, avoid 2015 gti. Shop 2016 or newer if you decide to go big

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
After reading all the posts, I agree with everyone. You'll regret trading down to a car with much less power and FWD. And used at that. You're obviously not in the U.S. so I don't know how warranties work where you are. Do you have the CPO program? Do you get the "People's 6-year warranty" where you live? I can tell you for a fact, from my many years owning a variety of cars, that you'll be sorry you bought something "slow".

I'll assume you live somewhere where there is snow and ice. Since you haven't complained about ground clearance with your BMW, drive a used 2016 R. So far, they are more reliable than a 2015. If you have the CPO program you get up to 4 years of warranty, which should be enough to find faults. Keep in mind VW's are not cheap to repair either. An R is less likely, in my opinion, to be abused as long as it's not been modified. An off-lease one is more likely to be stock. They should be coming up for turn in now. Good luck

Last edited:

adam1991

Banned
If it were me, i would trade a high mileage bmw.

Even if i was filthy rich, i would trade a high mileage bmw.

Nobody's THAT filthy rich.

The filthy rich get that way by avoiding high mileage BMWs.

Sam Walton drove an old ratty Ford pickup.

We're stupid (financially) for buying new $30K cars.

But at least we're not buying or driving used BMWs. We're not THAT stupid.

adam1991

Banned
We've got a 229k mile e39 M5 that begs to differ
Cars are only as good as the owners and their maintenance schedule

BMW has spent millions and millions of dollars researching how to build cars that last only so long, then are unrepairable.

This has come to fruition for them over the past 15 or so years.

Older BMWs can last forever. But a 5 year old BMW today is a grenade with a loose pin.

vhl71

Passed Driver's Ed
After reading all the posts, I agree with everyone. You'll regret trading down to a car with much less power and FWD. And used at that. You're obviously not in the U.S. so I don't know how warranties work where you are. Do you have the CPO program? Do you get the "People's 6-year warranty" where you live? I can tell you for a fact, from my many years owning a variety of cars, that you'll be sorry you bought something "slow".

I'll assume you live somewhere where there is snow and ice. Since you haven't complained about ground clearance with your BMW, drive a used 2016 R. So far, they are more reliable than a 2015. If you have the CPO program you get up to 4 years of warranty, which should be enough to find faults. Keep in mind VW's are not cheap to repair either. An R is less likely, in my opinion, to be abused as long as it's not been modified. An off-lease one is more likely to be stock. They should be coming up for turn in now. Good luck

Thanks for your post. Yes I live in Canada so lots of snow and icy roads
I don’t think I’ll get the extra warranty as I don’t intend to keep this for more than 2/3 years
I’ve been looking for Golf R models- they are quite pricey here in Canada even for used ones. In terms of seeking my car privately I’ve been trying for the last few months. Never got a decent offer. This trade is the best value I got for my BMW. And I drove the 2018 golf again in snow yesterday. It’s not bad to drive. I used to have a Passat 2T before for a few years. Never got stuck in winter. The only car I had to tow in winter is when I tried to before my C63 AMG to the shop to change tires!!
I’ll think about it a little more today. But as of now I’m doing the trade for the 2018 tsi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vhl71

Passed Driver's Ed
Update - ended up trading my bmw 335 for the 2018 Golf TSI. Very clean car, looks brand new. Drove home tonight. Will probably take it for a long drive over the weekend and see how fast it is. Only thing I’ve noticed so far is I wish the steering is a bit tighter. It’s so fluid coming from the bmw and you do t feel like you’ve to do anything to steer. Other than that everything is good so far

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
Update - ended up trading my bmw 335 for the 2018 Golf TSI. Very clean car, looks brand new. Drove home tonight. Will probably take it for a long drive over the weekend and see how fast it is. Only thing I’ve noticed so far is I wish the steering is a bit tighter. It’s so fluid coming from the bmw and you do t feel like you’ve to do anything to steer. Other than that everything is good so far

Well it should look brand new, because it is, right?

Rogues Gambit

Ready to race!
GF has a Golf TSI, see sig below for mods.

Took it from NM to Denver to Chattanooga before heading back to Jersey, no issues at all. Tune wakes 'em up, but even stock they're fun, you won't regret it all all

HighQuality_H20

Passed Driver's Ed

yeah, filthy rich get to buy BMW new and trade them for a new model after 40k miles.

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT

Not sure I completely agree.

Head over to bimmerpost.com. Look at the E90 (2006-2011 3-series) and F30 (2012-present 3-series). Lots of 200k mile and a few 300K miles cars. Bimmers are tanks.

I've had a few:

76 2002, 79 528i, 86 325e, 90 325i, 98 328i (purchased new, sold last year), 11 328iT (best car ever), 17 220i Gran Tourer (Euro Model).

Two case examples:

The 98 328i was purchased new for 36K fully equipped. It was used as a daily up until 2017 w/ 290K miles. No major mechanical problems. Donated for a write-off of $2500.

The 2011 328i wagon (6MT) was purchased new for 38K nicely equipped. I sold it in 2016 for $15K w/ 120K miles. By far, best car I've ever owned.

Last edited:

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
The E90 328i (and 1-year 330i motor in 2006 - I bought one new back in the day) motor was bulletproof - the 335i, not so much. HPFP problems they couldn't solve for AGES (but apparently eventually did), turbo/heat issues, etc.

My rule of thumb on BMWs - if there's no blower, has crappy cupholders, no iDrive, has hydraulic steering, and it starts with a key - it's probably a great car. If it doesn't check all of those boxes - don't own it without a warranty!