GOLFMKV

Oil Pan - Metal

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
The main concern with aluminum oil pans, is they tend to crack from an impact compared to steel, which will bend more before it breaks.

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
The main concern with aluminum oil pans, is they tend to crack from an impact compared to steel, which will bend more before it breaks.

Its been a while since I took anything about metallurgy, but I recall it being the other way around. Aluminium is soft compared to steel, and will bend before it will break, where as steel will resist any impacts until its breaking point, where it will then snap/crack.

danvphotos

Passed Driver's Ed
Its been a while since I took anything about metallurgy, but I recall it being the other way around. Aluminium is soft compared to steel, and will bend before it will break, where as steel will resist any impacts until its breaking point, where it will then snap/crack.

Aluminum is soft, but it is very brittle, and much more prone to cracking than steel. Steel is able to deform much further before cracking.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Yeah aluminum cracks fairly easily, one wrong hit could send your oil all over the street. A steel pan would most likely dent inwards but not crack. I'll just stick with the stock pan :)

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
On the Aluminum pan, I wonder if it is an alloy mix? Might be a little stronger.

I have the ECS SS pan plus full under engine cover. Pan adds 1 liter capacity ( over 7 liters) and baffled around pickup area. A little more baffling for guys who track might be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Looks ok, but it doesn't solve any deficiencies of the stock pan (aside from material). A baffled and larger volume pan would be a more beneficial upgrade.

Thanks
-- Ed

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
What's the part # for that cover with the access panels? I have the full w/o the access panels but it sure would of been nice to have that one for oil changes

Sold on Aliexpress. Not a VW part.
Link to my order shows it not sold now. I sent seller a note asking about it. I did find another part that looks similar. Listed below.

I think it is a great part and looks good. Hopefully the links below is to similar part. Looks close.

One item I did is remove the female inserts and glue them in with automotive adhesive. I had one spins down could not loosen.

Look what I found on AliExpress
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cNuw4aVa

Picture below from link I used to order. This picture is but gti part but shows example to compare to new link. More pics in my build thread if you like.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
On the Aluminum pan, I wonder if it is an alloy mix? Might be a little stronger.

I have the ECS SS pan plus full under engine cover. Pan adds 1 liter capacity ( over 7 liters) and baffled around pickup area. A little more baffling for guys who track might be nice.

More baffling = iABED pan.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Sold on Aliexpress. Not a VW part.
Link to my order shows it not sold now. I sent seller a note asking about it. I did find another part that looks similar. Listed below.

I think it is a great part and looks good. Hopefully the links below is to similar part. Looks close.

One item I did is remove the female inserts and glue them in with automotive adhesive. I had one spins down could not loosen.

Look what I found on AliExpress
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cNuw4aVa

Picture below from link I used to order. This picture is but gti part but shows example to compare to new link. More pics in my build thread if you like.

at least you got high quality free shipping

WhiteTigerSE

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the sweet find @sandmangti. I'll definitely be ordering one. Some protection is better than no protection. The plastic looks pretty thick.

-- Not sure if it is legit or not... but in 3 days, the price will drop to $120 + I get a $20 discount as a first time buyer... so $100 is a sweet deal if that is the case. We will see in 3 days.

Last edited: