GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

More than 1 Gti

johng.wissig

Ready to race!
81 diesel, 84 Gti, both great cars. GTI got hit and was never the same. Picked up a 3 year old 84 Vette as its replacement. Then life got in the way for 18 years till I returned to the fold.15 GTI my favorite of all my rides.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
I had an mk6 in college, was super fun. Then I saw how much better the mk7 was and had to hop on the train.
Stratified, DP+Res delete+Intake+GFB DV, with every cosmetic mod, was an awesome car.

Now, I have an mk7 that i'm trying to make a better version of my old car hahaha

stm25rs

I wish I were on my 2nd GTI. Bought a used 2006 Legacy GT ~6 years ago. Should've bought a used GTI at that time. Happily driving an MK7 now

Just such a nice package. Luxury, quick, fun to drive

I don't see my car needs changing any time soon. Decided I don't want a boring DD - had a 3g Acural TL for awhile after the Legacy. It had power and luxury features, and was comfy to drive, but was also boring to drive.

AudiSport4000

5cyl turbo
I first had a MkV Rabbit and then a MkVI GTI. I'm really an Audi guy, but after selling one off I missed having a fun and somewhat practical hatchback. This time I wanted one that was loaded, so I got the GFG Autobahn. I was very happy with the previous VW's I've had, and I'm no stranger to the crazy things Germans do with cars, so it was worth it :)

A2R

Go Kart Newbie
(Previous) 2016 VW Golf R APR stage 1 tuned DSG

(Current) 2017 VW GTI sport MAP stage 1

Yeah the GTI is a bit lighter and more nimble when you drive it hard especially on the twisteys is backroads.

The Golf R was super fast and planted, handled like it was on rails...

I totally agree with the other guy the GTI is more fun especially in the wallet. Now if you need AWD I can understand that aspect. But you can get a GTI for nearly 15k cheaper than the R so it’s an insane value.

The R definetly had a better quality and feel especially the interior materials. However I will still stick with the GTI for the MKVIII j get. Unless they make the R more powerful or something to make it really stand out above the GTI.
Personally I like light cars think the GTI weighs like 200 pounds lighter than the R and you can truly feel it on this platform.

I have driven a lot of different vehicles and for the money the VW GTI is just about as perfect as a daily driver as you can get. I mean it’s just such a good car in every way. Some people complain that it’s bland or doesn’t stand out enough. Personally that’s another aspect I like about it. The only car I would consider replacing it with is an STi if they ever bring the hatchback.

I certainly miss the German build quality tho...

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I'm a believer in the slow car fast > fast car slow. I find the GTI gives me the race car feel at speeds that while they are fast enough to get in trouble (legal and safety) it is not at stupid fast speed. The $15K also is a good percentage on a truck for 4wd/truck stuff.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I went from a MK6 GTI (2006) to a B8 A4 (2009) to the MK7.

While i loved the way my A4 looked, it lacked the soul and handling and excitement of the GTI. I was bored driving it. SO i figured why not come back, glad i did.

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GTI
I bought my MKV in May of 2008 with 24 miles on it after graduating from college that same week. After I went K04 in 2012 at 71K miles, I told myself no-one would ever own this car except me. The engine died at 205K miles this past June after a money-shift while playing with an S7 on the highway. My first and only money-shift. I parted out the car over the next couple of months and bought a used Autobahn MK7 with 10K miles on it within a week of junking the old car. I took the money from the part-out and put it right into the new GTI, going stage 2, lowering it, etc. within 1K miles of owning it.

The old GTI got me through moving out of my college house without needing a moving truck, winters in Pittsburgh, moving to a new city and living in several apartments before I bought my first house, getting a dog and driving her to the park every day, buying my second house, teaching my wife how to drive a stick-shift, and never having any mechanical issues other than the typical TSI issues like intake manifold replacements. The car did everything I wanted it to.

I found out my wife is pregnant 3 months ago. If the MK7 treats me anything like my MKV did, my kid will grow up with this car.

IES99

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I thought that this thread may have been looking for someone who has 2 GTIs right now. I'm thinking of that: one to drive and one to race.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I have quite a history - new Mk1 in November 1982, new Mk2 in 1985, new GTI VR6 in '97, new GTI GLX VR6 (worst name ever) in 2000, new 337 Edition in 2002, Mk4 Golf R in 2004, and Mk7 R in 2016.

They are just the quintessential hot hatch that is so practical and good at so many things. Not the best at any one thing, but very good to great at many. Overall on balance, the best choice - for me - for overall practicality while still being a sporty car. Apparently will always be in my blood.