GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New GTI => bad engine

MissedShifting

Passed Driver's Ed
How VW handles Jeff's issue could really make the difference as to whether I buy a new GTI. That's how on the fence I am... I know it sounds nuts but I'm just looking for something to sway me to/from trading in a 2018 4Runner (arguably one of the most reliable vehicles there is) for a 2018 GTI SE. Jeff_DML feel free to show this to VW corporate if you want... I'm sure it would make all the difference for you ; )

Jeff_DML

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
How VW handles Jeff's issue could really make the difference as to whether I buy a new GTI. That's how on the fence I am... I know it sounds nuts but I'm just looking for something to sway me to/from trading in a 2018 4Runner (arguably one of the most reliable vehicles there is) for a 2018 GTI SE. Jeff_DML feel free to show this to VW corporate if you want... I'm sure it would make all the difference for you ; )

thanks, I also have a 2018 4-runner and not a single problem over 20k+ miles. Of course it is a modern day dinosaur so plenty of time to work out the kinks;)

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
I found VW corporate moves at glacial speeds when I had my engine replaced (bad thrust bearing leading to crankshaft walk and an oil pan full of metal shavings).

They insisted at first, that they were going to rebuild the engine and at best, replace the top half of engine :confused: Then they were adamant that they were sending only a new short block at most and rebuilding from there. That made no sense either as that's only half (or less) of the engine and not does not include the part(s) that was likely most damaged.

I had to fight them for about 3 weeks before they told me that they were sending a brand new long block. However, I got the sense that none of my efforts or things I said had any bearing on the outcome. I think they just had to literally jump through every single hoop of theirs first - even if their initial suggestions didn't make sense (downright alarming) and it was not difficult to figure out what needed to be done. They just had to go through every step of the process (from cheapest first of course).

And as much as people keep telling you that's what a warranty is for - you paid for brand new car and got damaged goods instead. Then they tell you they are going to replace damaged parts with reman parts... This is not a manufacturer defect, it was a major component that was accidentally damaged and not what a warranty should be for. I don't see how it is any different than if the lot boy drove the new car over a concrete piling and you didn't notice the damage until you got home, then they offer to fix it "under warranty" as the sole remedy - none of these people would be okay with paying full price for a brand new car in that situation.

OP, the process you're going through sounds similar to what I experienced. The logical outcome should be that you get a new car. They just need to go through all their steps. Best of luck!

Last edited:

Jeff_DML

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Officially approved for a new car, will come from port not dealer so factory fresh. No trim upgrade unless they cannot find a close enough match. 2019 are not expected to be released until December or January so it will be a 2018.

Thanks for all the support. Excited that I should be finally driving my car again

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Good to hear they did right by you in the end.

rahtx

Go Kart Newbie
And as much as people keep telling you that's what a warranty is for - you paid for brand new car and got damaged goods instead. Then they tell you they are going to replace damaged parts with reman parts... This is not a manufacturer defect, it was a major component that was accidentally damaged and not what a warranty should be for. I don't see how it is any different than if the lot boy drove the new car over a concrete piling and you didn't notice the damage until you got home, then they offer to fix it "under warranty" as the sole remedy - none of these people would be okay with paying full price for a brand new car in that situation.
Although I wasn't one of the people saying he wouldn't/shouldn't get a new car, you make a good point about why this is not a warranty issue.

OP: I'm glad to hear that they are going to take care of you properly!

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
thanks, I also have a 2018 4-runner and not a single problem over 20k+ miles. Of course it is a modern day dinosaur so plenty of time to work out the kinks;)

I've had my 2015 Trail Edition now for almost four years. Only problem I had with it was the one of the door locks failed. Replaced under my extended warranty for free($900 job).

I wouldn't get rid of the 4R for a GTI. 4R is going to retain value much better than the GTI is.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Officially approved for a new car, will come from port not dealer so factory fresh. No trim upgrade unless they cannot find a close enough match. 2019 are not expected to be released until December or January so it will be a 2018.

Thanks for all the support. Excited that I should be finally driving my car again

That’s great news! Glad you were able to follow through and arrive at an outcome that works for you.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

Thats great news.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI

Congrats and you got what was deserved.

DucatiSSsp

Passed Driver's Ed
Now for the long wait! Mine took about 10 weeks+. If you financed your vehicle, they will have to do a change of collateral w/ the bank. Follow up w/ VW Care and your bank to make sure all the paperwork gets done. Mine was not and it took three months to get the bank to reverse the $5400 ins. premium they added to my loan. Great news BTW!!

zack1978

Passed Driver's Ed
So how do you get them to change their mind from a remanufactured engine to a new car? Did they offer this as a remedy or did you suggest it? Did VW corporate require you to get aggressive (or get a lawyer) to make the new car happen? Was your dealer helpful in any way during this process?

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Congrats!

So you know my car that I bought at the beginning of the model year in September 2016 has been trouble free. Really has been a great car so far!