GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Inboard Tail Light Bulbs

Crackness1

Ready to race!
Do you know what they are used for in other countries? That is if they are not coded off in those countries. Just curious.

What do you mean by inboard taillights? Do you mean the ones on the hatch? If so, those contain running lights and the reverse lights. When your headlights are on, they are also on in the US.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
What do you mean by inboard taillights? Do you mean the ones on the hatch? If so, those contain running lights and the reverse lights. When your headlights are on, they are also on in the US.

There is a bulb closest to the car centerline, next to the inner L light. It does not come on.

Elwood

3-7-77
I don't think there is actually a bulb in that location. The bulb holder has the hole blocked off. That's for the rear fog, I think. European requirement for the driver's side of the vehicle (It's on the right side in the UK, left elsewhere).

Crackness1

Ready to race!
There is a bulb closest to the car centerline, next to the inner L light. It does not come on.

I don't think there is actually a bulb in that location. The bulb holder has the hole blocked off. That's for the rear fog, I think. European requirement for the driver's side of the vehicle (It's on the right side in the UK, left elsewhere).

This. In US cars, both sides look the same - they're molded plastic, without bulbs or bulb holders (even though it may look like there are bulbs there). You'd have to replace the whole housing and add in wiring to the BCM (or a harness) and code to work.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie

No bulb in there, nor wiring for one in the NA Golf. That location is meant for rear fog in Europe. You can find a set of Euro tails (non led) that have a bulb in there if you want the rear fog - but you'll have to rewire and or do some coding, and add a Euro light switch.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
This. In US cars, both sides look the same - they're molded plastic, without bulbs or bulb holders (even though it may look like there are bulbs there). You'd have to replace the whole housing and add in wiring to the BCM (or a harness) and code to work.

Wow. Not saying I absolutely need those rear fogs, but it seems like NA GTIs are getting the short end of the stick. :(

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
What do you think the main reason is? Regulations?

VW, like all car manufacturers will be looking at ways to maximise profit and keep the price point of their products at a level that’s appealing to customers. So, VW will always look at any areas where they can make cost savings by not fitting certain features if they don’t have to. In the UK, fitting at least one rear fog light is a regulatory requirement.

However, I don’t think it’s just regulations that dictates what items of equipment a USA Golf GTI gets compared to other markets; MRSP will be a big factor. A standard GTI Golf in the UK with no options has an MRSP that’s the equivalent of around US $39,000. Admittedly, there will be spec and power output differences between a standard UK GTI with no options fitted and a USA entry level GTI ‘S’ spec model (UK Golf GTI is 241 bhp compared to USA 220 bhp), but would US would-be buyers consider buying a Golf GTI with a starting price of $39,000? By the time leather upholstery and upgraded sound system (Dynaudio, so similar to the Fender system in the USA) is added, this pushes the MRSP up to nearly US $42,000.

So IMO there is a reason that the USA market doesn’t get everything that some other markets do - to keep the price point competitive.