GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket spoilers & automatic car washes

the rage

I'm considering purchasing and installing the Oettinger roof spoiler for my GTI. Does anyone know (or have experience with) if automatic car washes are a concern with aftermarket spoilers, which are often held on with adhesive?

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Won’t be an issue if properly applied. I’d wait at least a week after the install for any automatic washes.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Automatic car washes are a bit of a concern with everything. If you are getting an Oettinger spoiler, I would imagine you care about the looks of your car. Unless you have reaaalllyyyy good paint protection, I would consider finding a new, touchless, car wash.

If you are already talking about a touchless automatic car wash in your OP, then ignore my comments. dequardo is correct, it will be fine. The fins between the OEM spoiler and the back window are glued on with 3M tape

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yeah if youre investing that kind of money for looks, I’d be hand washing the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The Oettinger spoiler does look pretty damn cool, but for $500 and it has to be painted after you get it...

Obviously echo the lack of enthusiasm for using a brush-type auto-wash.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
If you go through a car wash you don’t deserve a Gti

Didn't realize the GTI was such an exotic. Where I live you see Porsche's, Ferrari's, Bentley's, McLaren's, and all sorts of super expensive cars going through car washes. Both brush-less and ones that use brushes.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
It's not the GTI I deserve, but it's the one I need right now.

I found a brushless near me, went through it, works great.

Good! The answer is yes, the spoiler will be fine going through that. Give it a few days after applying it to let the adhesive get comfortable before washing though. After time you will find that if you don't keep it waxed well, the touchless won't get it perfectly clean. It will get the dirt off thats visible to the naked eye, but if you wipe a section after the wash you will see there is still stuck on dirt. What I used to do when I lived in a place that I couldn't wash my car was take it to the self serve touchless wash, wash it down, dry it, then when I got back to my apartment I would spray detail then clay bar then wax. Worked nicely!

mctriple

Passed Driver's Ed
Didn't realize the GTI was such an exotic. Where I live you see Porsche's, Ferrari's, Bentley's, McLaren's, and all sorts of super expensive cars going through car washes. Both brush-less and ones that use brushes.

Here, too. I can't even find a brushless anywhere. Even most of the "detailing" places around here run your car through a bunch of nasty brushes first before finishing things by hand. I'm still on a search for a brushless wash not too far away before winter. I want some way to get the salt off in the winter.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Your car doesn't have to be an exotic for you to take care of it. Scratched paint not only looks bad but gets dirty faster and can also rust faster. If someone cares enough to spend half a grand on a spoiler, they outta care enough to find a touchless car wash for a buck or two more

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk