GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

thoughts on using this oil for 6th quart?

wbw

Ready to race!
It may be ok, but when I looked at the label on the back of the bottle it did not mention meeting the VW 502 spec. I would stick with oils that meet VW's requirement. I'm going to start using oils that not only meet VW's 502 but MB 229.5 and Porsche A40. I think MB and Porsche are maybe a little more stringent than the VW502. It's not necessary but it's what I want to do. YMMV.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Why?

If it's a matter of convenience, then just get 2 5qt. jugs. Use a quart and keep the other 4 around for the next 4 oil changes with full 5qt. jugs. Would prevent having to use a possibly questionable oil along with a solid service one. Just my thoughts.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
No. It's a vital fluid. The expression "Penny wise, pound foolish" comes to mind.

Assuming just for the hell of it that you might save $5, even $10, why would you do that and perhaps compromise a multi-thousand dollar engine rather than buy a well-known quality lubricant?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Take this with a grain of salt, but

Attachments

• img20181031_203837.jpg
    img20181031_203837.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 255

DasTurboWagen

Ready to race!
I wouldn’t take a chance. Especially when you can go on Walmart’s website and order a 6 quarts of Mobil 1 or Castrol 0w40 for around $32 or cheaper sometimes. Get to $35 and it’s free 2 day shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knollMk7

Ready to race!
I contacted Warren Distributing and this is their response: (data sheet attached)

Dear Sir,
Thank you for contacting Warren Distribution.
Amazon Basic 0W-40 European Formula Synthetic (A3/B4) does meet the requirement for Volkswagen 502 00/505 00.
I’ve attached the product data sheet for your records.

Thank you
Dave

Attachments

• amazon oil.pdf
    56.3 KB · Views: 153

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
*Sigh*

Again why? Without getting too technical, one of the main reasons I would avoid doing it would be additive clash. Yes they are both 0W-40s, Yes they are both miscible, Yes, they both meet spec (maybe), but both have different additive make-up (or even base stocks) and that could compromise the overall performance, or length of service, for the oil.

So again, if you are doing this to save a few pennies, or to have all the oil in one package (again, maybe, as they may drop ship directly from Warren), then go for it. I say save that cash by cutting back on a Starbucks or not getting fries with your Happy Meal, but to each their own. I just wouldn't do it for consistency sake.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
*Sigh*

Again why? Without getting too technical, one of the main reasons I would avoid doing it would be additive clash. Yes they are both 0W-40s, Yes they are both miscible, Yes, they both meet spec (maybe), but both have different additive make-up (or even base stocks) and that could compromise the overall performance, or length of service, for the oil.

So again, if you are doing this to save a few pennies, or to have all the oil in one package (again, maybe, as they may drop ship directly from Warren), then go for it. I say save that cash by cutting back on a Starbucks or not getting fries with your Happy Meal, but to each their own. I just wouldn't do it for consistency sake.

There is nothing wrong with mixing oil that is API SN certified.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I'm sure it's fine....I would (and do) the get 10 qts fm walmart M1 0-40 and use the handy qt markings on side to add extra qt. Look for when M1 has rebates and stock up. I intend to go as far as next time I'll start with opened jug and make up the extra with "fresh jug" paranoia but simple. My only reason for this is I don't want to have to get oil fm 2 places and in the unlikely case proof of purchase is needed it'll look better and require less explaining.

Mud

curious how much $ from amazon