GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sub-to-Dub's 2017 GTI Sport

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
October 2018

Got a larger rear swaybar and beefier endlinks installed today.

Picked up an ST rear swaybar for $140 on eBay last week. I chose the ST bar based on the positive reviews and the price (15% off w/ coupon).

The Moog endlinks are certainly not necessary as the stock ones seem adequate but for $40 from Rockauto the metal units are greaseable and seem like cheap insurance.

The install was easier than I anticipated thanks in part to the previously installed Clubsport muffler which allowed me to completely drop the muffler for more room. Start to finish took about 30 minutes.

So far I can only offer initial impressions but think it's absolutely a worthwhile upgrade. Unsurprisingly there is less body roll and less input (amount, not frequency) required to keep the car tracking straight. THe lack of body roll is really apparent on sweeping turns at 30-50mph. Aside from more composed handling I think an added benefit will be a more comfortable pooch riding the the back seat (she insists on standing up and I have to go slow around corners).

Thankfully there are no clunks or other unexpected sounds even at the weird angle involved getting in and out of the driveway. I am going to recheck everything after a few hundred miles.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the upgrade and hope it stays quiet and drama free! I'll update with some longer-term impressions as I drive more.

Last edited:

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
October 2018

During a recent oil change I noticed that my 034 insert was bent. I had thought the car felt sloppier than usual but it’s hard to tell because one acclimatizes to new mods.

I don’t think the deformation rendered the insert completely ineffective but it certainly wasn't functioning as new. Considering insert was only in for about 7,000 miles and the car really wasn’t driven that hard I am disappointed that it bent so quickly. I contacted 034 about the issue and they were very responsive but haven't offered to send a replacement yet. I’m expecting them to say the deformation is normal.

For the replacement, I wanted to try something different so I picked up the ECS doggone insert which uses a poly insert to vill the voids in the stock puck. A metal plate to secures the assembly in place. The insert came with an OEM bolt and was priced similarly to other offerings.

I also installed the ECS dogbone arm since it was on sale. After my bad experience with the Roc Euro arm I knew I wanted a model with an OEM-like pivot point. The ECS arm included three OEM bolts as well.

The two arms felt very similar in terms of weight and my unscientific test confirms.

Installation was very easy and only took about 20 minutes. It’s hard to comment on either part separately as they were installed at the same time but here are my impressions after a few miles:

-Vibrations at startup are definitely noticeable (although not much different than the 034 mount when new)
-Shifts are crisp and rev-matching is noticeably easier
-The vibrations are only bothersome when the revs are dropping to idle in neutral. At about 900 there is some shuddering until the engine reaches idle.
-The build quality is great and I expect these parts will last a long time

I’ll be sure to update as things settle in and I put a few more miles on these.

I did discover that a bent insert makes a great phone holder! :)

Last edited:

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
November 2018

Lately I've found my shifter setup a little too notchy and adjusting didn't seem to help much.

Whether it's just my particular combination of mods or changing personal preference, I decided to give another short shifter a try and picked up a Euro OEM short shifter on sale.

Installation was straightforward but removing the old shifter was difficult and need lots of persuasion to come off. The total install time including readjusting the shifter cables was about 45 minutes.

After about 800 miles of driving I am very happy with the performance. The Euro shifter is the perfect balance of smoothness and short throws. Pairing with solid shifter bushings and a weighted knob makes things even better!

Shifter characteristics are a very personal choice but for me this strikes the perfect balance. I definitely recommend this to anyone looking to tighten up the stock shifter without spending a lot of money or time installing/adjusting.

Pics showing showing the key difference:

And just for fun I wanted to chart my shifter experiences so far

Last edited:

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
If you were local I’d want to see what the oem short kit feels like. Maybe mine is magically adjusted but I wouldn’t call my sigma short shifter notchy in the least. Maybe just used to it or maybe it’s all the other stuff I had done

eurospek

Just finished watching Fast&Fu
After this curious to see how my 034 insert is holding up.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
October 2018

During a recent oil change I noticed that my 034 insert was bent. I had thought the car felt sloppier than usual but it’s hard to tell because one acclimatizes to new mods.

I don’t think the deformation rendered the insert completely ineffective but it certainly wasn't functioning as new. Considering insert was only in for about 7,000 miles and the car really wasn’t driven that hard I am disappointed that it bent so quickly. I contacted 034 about the issue and they were very responsive but haven't offered to send a replacement yet. I’m expecting them to say the deformation is normal.

For the replacement, I wanted to try something different so I picked up the ECS doggone insert which uses a poly insert to vill the voids in the stock puck. A metal plate to secures the assembly in place. The insert came with an OEM bolt and was priced similarly to other offerings.

I also installed the ECS dogbone arm since it was on sale. After my bad experience with the Roc Euro arm I knew I wanted a model with an OEM-like pivot point. The ECS arm included three OEM bolts as well.

The two arms felt very similar in terms of weight and my unscientific test confirms.

Installation was very easy and only took about 20 minutes. It’s hard to comment on either part separately as they were installed at the same time but here are my impressions after a few miles:

-Vibrations at startup are definitely noticeable (although not much different than the 034 mount when new)
-Shifts are crisp and rev-matching is noticeably easier
-The vibrations are only bothersome when the revs are dropping to idle in neutral. At about 900 there is some shuddering until the engine reaches idle.
-The build quality is great and I expect these parts will last a long time

I’ll be sure to update as things settle in and I put a few more miles on these.

I did discover that a bent insert makes a great phone holder! :)

How difficult was the dogbone to pull out?

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
How difficult was the dogbone to pull out?

It was difficult but nothing a little force and patience couldn't overcome. I'd imagine the more bent the insert is, the harder it will be to pull out as it kind of clamps onto the center of the rubber.

034 approved a replacement and I've since sent in the old unit back but haven't heard anything for a few weeks. The ECS insert is a littler harsher than I'd like at idle but is otherwise a better design in my opinion.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
It was difficult but nothing a little force and patience couldn't overcome. I'd imagine the more bent the insert is, the harder it will be to pull out as it kind of clamps onto the center of the rubber.

034 approved a replacement and I've since sent in the old unit back but haven't heard anything for a few weeks. The ECS insert is a littler harsher than I'd like at idle but is otherwise a better design in my opinion.

Thanks.
Judging from how difficult mine is to pull out, it seems it transformed into something out of this world.

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
October 2018

Project: replace oil cap
Product: OEM oil cap (updated version)
Cost: $20
Install time: <1 minute
Difficulty: 1/5

Had some weeping around the oil cap since the car was new. Nothing particularly concerning but not ideal. I decided to try the revised oil cap (part #: 06K-103-485-C). Three months later the weeping seems to be significantly reduced.

Last edited:

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
December 2018

Project: install OEM air blocker plate
Product: OEM air inlet duct blockoff Plate Kit
Cost: $25
Install time: 15 minutes

There are already some threads on the potential pros/cons of installing the OEM inlet block/diverter but I decided to give it a try and document the install. Airflow aside I'm hoping this keeps more dust and dirt out of the engine bay and doesn't negatively impact cooling. I'll be sure to post my impressions as I put on more miles in different temperatures.

The front intake section comes out with two screws and the removal of the coolant hose. Installation was a 15 minute job.

This is the opening in question. The OEM plate secures behind so all incoming airflow funnels into the filter instead some going into the engine compartment.

The kit includes two screws to secure the plate to the rest of the intake

View from behind, fits perfectly.

Cover installed

Last edited:

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
December 2018

Project: install "flush" kit
Product: Deutsche Auto Parts wheel spacer kit
Cost: $125 (on sale)
Install time: 20 minutes

Got a wheel spacer kit since the offset of the MK6 Laguna wheels really needs it. One day I'll get a proper set of wheels with the right offset but I think these will work for now. The kit is a visual improvement in my opinion and the car will look even better when it's lowered a little.

The quality seems good and the shape/style of the replacement bolts means you don't have to use the OEM wheel caps (actually you can't since there is no recess to get the hook tool in there).

I'll snap some pics of the car when it's not raining out but so far no vibrations or other issues.

Last edited: