GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cargo box + sunroof use

slow12s

Ready to race!
For those of you that have a roof rack and cargo box, how often do you use your OEM sunroof? I am close to pulling a trigger on a roof rack, but I really like the look/height of the whispbars, but they only allow you to open the OEM sunroof with nothing mounted on them. If I had a cargo box on there, I would only be able to tilt the sunroof. So with the box on, do you use your sunroof often or at all? If the consensus is that the sunroof is useless with the cargo box on, I'll probably go for the whispbars, if it still has some use (with the cargo box mounted), I'll probably go with the rhino rack. Thanks.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I'm curious about where you are finding a complete whispbar kit to even consider? I had an opportunity to purchase a set of bars for super cheap from a co-worker but I could not find the necessary foot kit, K692W, to attach them to the car.

I must have looked at 50 websites and made 10 phone calls over the course of a few hours of searching one day. No one had it. Even Yakima said they shuttered Whispbar and sold off all of their stock to a company who also didn't have it.

slow12s

Ready to race!
I'm curious about where you are finding a complete whispbar kit to even consider? I had an opportunity to purchase a set of bars for super cheap from a co-worker but I could not find the necessary foot kit, K692W, to attach them to the car.

I must have looked at 50 websites and made 10 phone calls over the course of a few hours of searching one day. No one had it. Even Yakima said they shuttered Whispbar and sold off all of their stock to a company who also didn't have it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253817481363

also if you search on ebay, multiple sellers have just the k692 fit kit available for ~$200ish

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

DonTuan

Passed Driver's Ed

See my post from last year in regards to the K692W fit kits...you might get lucky if you talk to the right person.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=527698&postcount=10

johng.wissig

Ready to race!
I have my sunroof tilted open most days and wide open nice fall and spring days. My rack and box are from VW. Tilted open w/ carrier on is not too bad. But wide open wind noise through bars and sunroof is no bueno!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

slow12s

Ready to race!
I have my sunroof tilted open most days and wide open nice fall and spring days. My rack and box are from VW. Tilted open w/ carrier on is not too bad. But wide open wind noise through bars and sunroof is no bueno!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
ok cool, so even with all the wind noise you still use the sunroof with the cargo box mounted? Thanks!

slow12s

Ready to race!
bump for some more viewpoints