GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trunk light doesn’t turn on right away

inc55

Go Kart Champion
So I don’t know how it is for the rest of you guys but whenever I open my trunk the light will not turn on right away. Sometimes not at all, sometimes after 10-20 seconds. Also, whenever I open any door I hear some kinda computer sounds coming from the battery area. Is that normal? Usually after a few seconds that computer sound will happen and then the trunk light will come on. I’m assuming it’s some kinda module that controls the power in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inc55

Go Kart Champion
I just spoke to a VW tech and he says it might be the J5-19 module, faulty wiring or a problem with the hatch. The car registers the hatch being opened immediately so I don’t think it’s the hatch. The wiring of the car hasn’t changed so I don’t think it’s that. They wanna charge me 2 hours of labor at $135/hour just to diagnose the issue. Any recommendations?

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
The trunk light switch is inside of the lock. If you wiggle the locking feature does the light flicker or turn on?

inc55

Go Kart Champion
The trunk light switch is inside of the lock. If you wiggle the locking feature does the light flicker or turn on?

If I touch the hatch lock to simulate opening and closing the lights turn on and off.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Next time the light doesn’t turn on immediately touch the locking feature and see if it turns on. As far as I remember one of my buddy’s had a similar issue with his MK6. He got a new lock under warranty and since then it works.

inc55

Go Kart Champion
Next time the light doesn’t turn on immediately touch the locking feature and see if it turns on. As far as I remember one of my buddy’s had a similar issue with his MK6. He got a new lock under warranty and since then it works.

I tried that today with no luck. I don’t think it’s the hatch.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Since the hatch AND the cabin courtesy lights are slow to operate I vote module or wiring. Get it scanned with VCDS to see if it shows a fault.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
The cabin lights work fine. No codes.

Did you figure out this issue? I seem to be having the same problem.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
That guy you quoted hasn't been in the forum since February 2020.
So he’s no longer a member and will not get this notification?

If not then maybe someone can reply with something more helpful instead of me starting a new thread.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So he’s no longer a member and will not get this notification?

If not then maybe someone can reply with something more helpful instead of me starting a new thread.
He's still a member. Just hasn't looked at the forum since then. Maybe since this thread will show up in the new posts section someone will know the answer. I'll help you get it going by asking how long does it take for the hatch light to come on?

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
He's still a member. Just hasn't looked at the forum since then. Maybe since this thread will show up in the new posts section someone will know the answer. I'll help you get it going by asking how long does it take for the hatch light to come on?

Thanks, I appreciate it.

It’s not consistent. Sometimes it turns on right away, not at all or after a 10-20 seconds. Similar to what the OP described. I thought it was the bulb so I swapped it out and I’m still having this issue. I’m wondering if it‘s whatever controls the light turning on when you open the hatch.

I’m wondering the best way to diagnose that. I’ll run a scan to see if anything comes up and report back.

KMcigam

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI MK7
I just spoke to a VW tech and he says it might be the J5-19 module, faulty wiring or a problem with the hatch. The car registers the hatch being opened immediately so I don’t think it’s the hatch. The wiring of the car hasn’t changed so I don’t think it’s that. They wanna charge me 2 hours of labor at $135/hour just to diagnose the issue. Any recommendations?

First, is your MK7 out of warranty (I assume so, but did not see you say explicitly)?

Second, did you attempt to replace the bulb? Before you go hunting for the switch in the latch, did you try simply changing out the bulb? I haven't had any issues with mine, so I'm not sure if it's incandescent or LED.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Goes the MFI occasionally show that the hatch is open when it's closed tightly? If so, the latch needs adjustment.

I had the opposite problem. The light wouldn't turn off. I had the latch replaced under warranty.