GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alltrack suspension upgrades

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I have a 2018 GTI SE and a 2017 Alltrack S 6mt. I love both cars, the Alltrack as I have currently modded keeps up with the GTI in a straight line. I do NOT want to lower Alltrack by more than an inch but would really like it to handle more like the GTI........the Alltrack has poor rebound at rear and just doesn’t feel as composed as GTI, any suggestions?

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
why do you want to mod one car to be exactly like the other you already have?
Have you ever seen the two side by side?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
The GTI is new enough that I haven’t had it thru our snowy icy winters. The Alltrack with 40k Miles has been thru two winters on Nokian Hakkepellita studded snows is a tank. The Alltrack will haul lots of stuff, easily transport kayaks, canoes etc.
So in answer to your question they are used for two different purposes and I have no intent on making them the “same” car. If you have ever driven both cars back to back the Alltracks poor suspension in relation to the GTI is profound, there has to be room for improvement.

GTI9

Passed Driver's Ed
I swapped out my Alltrack stock junk with GTI springs, shocks, struts and ED spring spacers and it rocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
How much did it lower the car, I am trying to stay at stock ride height but have better control, handling and eliminating the lack of droop at rear which is caused by the factory shock having a little LESS than two inches of rebound.

SRoads

Ready to race!
Isn't the alltrack 30 ish mm higher than a golf, and the gti is somewhere near 20mm lower than the golf? So GTI suspension would lower the car 2 to 2.25 inches.

The extra ground clearance is going to help with the snow and ice up north, correct?

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Isn't the alltrack 30 ish mm higher than a golf, and the gti is somewhere near 20mm lower than the golf? So GTI suspension would lower the car 2 to 2.25 inches.
Part of the height difference between the AT and Golf is due to the difference in tire height.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Don't think you're going to find stock height suspension of better control I.e. Higher spring and shock rates, short of going custom. Maybe start with sway bars front and rear.

Otherwise, gti springs are the closest. And you'll probably need tt rear spring pads so it doesn't droop.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
Thanks all for the responses. Good observations. I absolutely do not want to lower car more than an inch tops. Maybe I need to wait awhile and see if someone steps up to serve this market niche. I have contacted several coilover manufacturers/assemblers and they are all about lowering the Alltrack.
Yes, ice and snow is an issue, but so are dirt and gravel roads all summer. I had a JSW before, great car but terrible ground clearance. The increased Hight is one reason I bought this. I’ve changed the rear sway bar and changed oil without even getting out a floor jack!
The ride quality is just not there.....

JSUN1

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks all for the responses. Good observations. I absolutely do not want to lower car more than an inch tops. Maybe I need to wait awhile and see if someone steps up to serve this market niche. I have contacted several coilover manufacturers/assemblers and they are all about lowering the Alltrack.
Yes, ice and snow is an issue, but so are dirt and gravel roads all summer. I had a JSW before, great car but terrible ground clearance. The increased Hight is one reason I bought this. I’ve changed the rear sway bar and changed oil without even getting out a floor jack!
The ride quality is just not there.....

I saw somewhere either on this forum or the Alltrack forum MSSkits is developing an adjustable spring kit for the Alltrack (I think) it might just be for the GSW though.
It's pretty pricey for springs though...but they are adjustable (ride height) and can be configured with street/sport/track springs. The pictures I saw were on a GSW and didn't lower it much at all. So check them out, they're in the UK but I think they have dealers I the U.S.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I am still running my MSS setup in Alltrack. Front adjusters to max drop. Rear spring changed to Swift 8” and 280lb inch. I kept the black lower spring and the adjustment piece. I still like them paired with the Koni SA. If I had to do it all over again .....KW V3 coilivers iscwhat I would have done.......and probably still will!

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
I have a 2018 GTI SE and a 2017 Alltrack S 6mt. I love both cars, the Alltrack as I have currently modded keeps up with the GTI in a straight line. I do NOT want to lower Alltrack by more than an inch but would really like it to handle more like the GTI........the Alltrack has poor rebound at rear and just doesn’t feel as composed as GTI, any suggestions?

….so why didn't you start off with a GSW 4Motion S with the 6MT?

The whole point of the Alltrack is to look more rugged with the increased ground clearance and body cladding.

Why not see if you can get a set of Koni Sports, and increase the rebound stiffness in the rear.