GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best windshield wipers for Mk 7.5?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Shit. So they polished and it didn't remove that film, eh?

I was going to try CarPro Ceriglass or DP Glass Restorer. I have read on autogeek.net detailing forum that both work well. I understand that polishing glass is a very long process though and it had better be super clean (wash>clay>wipe down with IPA) then start polishing with the DA, which will take you a while due to glass's hardness.

Yeah, every time I talk to them about it, they ask if I have tried cleaning it. VWoA wiped their hands of the issue saying that it is normal. They hand polished it, or so they claim. I just realized polish and Polish (like the people) are spelled the same. Good game English.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

YYZ

Passed Driver's Ed
I've never had a car with such cheap glass before. It is scratched and chipped like the car is 10 years old. 2016. And that dirty uneven surface will not wipe smooth unless it's flat and clean.
I seriously looked into brand new windshield and a glass protection film on top of it. Very bitter about VW glass choice. Every one of my windows shows scratches, not from scratch-o-matic car wash either

I found this out the hard way. My car is only a couple of months old and I keep it spotless. I washed the car, used Optimum Mineral Deposit Remover on every surface, especially the glass, washed the car again with Optimum No Rinse, clayed every glass surface using ONR again, thoroughly dried the glass with 365 gsm edgeless microfiber towels, then when I was making a final pass using dedicated microfiber glass towels with glass cleaner, I must have picked up some minute particles near the rubber seal on the rear passenger side window. I pushed too hard and noticed faint vertical, then horizontal scratches. No one but me is going to notice this, but it just pissed me off after all that work trying to achieve perfection before applying Aquapel.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Bosch.

They last longer than most will own their car.

Which brings me to wondering why you’d be shopping for them already? I have just under 65k on my original set and they’re holding up great

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Changed mine at 65k miles 2.5 years. To be fair, rarely use them and probably could've changed then a little sooner. But again, use them so rarely.
Went with Rain-X wipers because we had a couple of weeks of huge rains and needed to get something quickly and was at Wal-Mart. It was that or Trico, bit was worried about fitment as I know people have issues with certain Bosch wipers that don't have adapters for our cars and I couldn't find info on the Tricos either so went with Rain-X. Honestly they're fine. I'll probably use them 20 times max in their lifetime so oem would probably be more than good enough.

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport 6MT
In the past I haven't found a correlation between price and performance for wipers but clearly others have different experiences.

I usually go with cheaper wipers and just ordered a second set of Anco wipers from Amazon. They're decent; no noise or drama and they fit right out of the box in just a few seconds. With the first set I got about 8 months before they start streaking a little and had to be replaced.

To give any new wiper a fighting chance it's a good idea to throughly clean the windshield and even claybar if there is lots of grit/gunk. Following up with something like Aquapel really helps as well.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Wiper blades last 6-12 months.

I used to agree with that for the several decades I've been owning cars, until I discovered the purple washer fluid with detergents and water repellent. Since using that as opposed to the standard cheap blue fluid with just methanol, my blades are lasting at least twice as long and cleaning better and more streak free than ever before.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
I found this out the hard way. My car is only a couple of months old and I keep it spotless. I washed the car, used Optimum Mineral Deposit Remover on every surface, especially the glass, washed the car again with Optimum No Rinse, clayed every glass surface using ONR again, thoroughly dried the glass with 365 gsm edgeless microfiber towels, then when I was making a final pass using dedicated microfiber glass towels with glass cleaner, I must have picked up some minute particles near the rubber seal on the rear passenger side window. I pushed too hard and noticed faint vertical, then horizontal scratches. No one but me is going to notice this, but it just pissed me off after all that work trying to achieve perfection before applying Aquapel.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GybSUfQyam8

oneformula

Passed Driver's Ed
UV and salt wreak havoc on blades.

I used to agree with that for the several decades I've been owning cars, until I discovered the purple washer fluid with detergents and water repellent. Since using that as opposed to the standard cheap blue fluid with just methanol, my blades are lasting at least twice as long and cleaning better and more streak free than ever before.