GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will government slow cars down again?

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
The U.S. has been oil self sufficient for years. We don't need to buy foreign oil. The refineries in Texas take in foreign oil, refine it, and ship it back to them because they don't have...refineries. It annoys me that the price of oil is contrived.

It's like diamonds, sort of, then! But the cost of oil is not just importation, it's environmental, and it's undeniable that petrochemical extraction and refining exacts a toll on the ecosystem. Now, so does everything else, of course, but there are degrees of impact. Oil is kind of nasty in a lot of ways, from the drilling and refining process, to the transportation system, to the disposal of used lubricants, etc. I'm sure there are downsides to every form of energy, but as much as I love my ICE cars, I can't deny that gasoline comes at a real price. If you've ever lived in an area around refineries, eeew.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Tar sands and transcontinental pipelines is how the US became energy self sufficient.

Companies will spend 99 cents to get $1 out of the ground.

Cars have become very efficient, but never fool yourself into thinking that getting that energy out of the ground in the first place is some sort of no-impact event. You don't hear that much about this kind of stuff because it happens in really remote locations and only ever makes it on the news if they fuck something up.

Everyone remembers Deep Water Horizon right?

If you factor in the environmental degradation associated with the seeking of fossil fuel sources you'll find that gas is actually really cheap in the United States. In areas where they do weight the environmental impact you see prices double or triple that of the US.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I have no doubts there. I'm all for solar and wind, but we will still need nuclear or fossil as a backup, even if we blanket the country in solar cells and windmills farms. One good hurricane will wipe all a good amount of them. And you still need storage batteries. A Tesla Wall is $7,000 plus installation if you're not handy.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I agree on energy. We already have occasional blackouts in the summer in Austin. I can't imagine what would happen if ALL cars were electric.

Since I'm a little older, I'm not worried about being forced into an electric car. Even if all cars turned electric in a few year, there would be current gas cars out for 20+ years.

We haven’t had blackouts in about 5 years.

Plus most electric cars charge when electricity is not in peak demand (3p-7p).

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Tar sands and transcontinental pipelines is how the US became energy self sufficient.

Companies will spend 99 cents to get $1 out of the ground.

Cars have become very efficient, but never fool yourself into thinking that getting that energy out of the ground in the first place is some sort of no-impact event. You don't hear that much about this kind of stuff because it happens in really remote locations and only ever makes it on the news if they fuck something up.

Everyone remembers Deep Water Horizon right?

If you factor in the environmental degradation associated with the seeking of fossil fuel sources you'll find that gas is actually really cheap in the United States. In areas where they do weight the environmental impact you see prices double or triple that of the US.

Even the delivery stystem is horribly inefficient.