GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

my underhood insulation /warping

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Is there any downside to removing it? I'd also like more noise but don't want to cause stupid questions from dealership.

I know someone with a stage 2 MK7 R that’s had theirs off for 2 years or so and had no issues.

Had mine off since June with going to the track on a hot July day and no issues.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
How is this shrunk?
Would this not be more like "Sagging"?
If shrinking I would think liner would be tight.

If the hood pad was secured in a smart way, you would be correct, but for some reason the bottom (or back) just has tabs that "hook" into the hood. Over time the pad shrinks causing the tabs to no longer hook in. Over time the hood pad then begins to sag.

Like AR1 said, they are at the least fire resistant, but the potential is there.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If the hood pad was secured in a smart way, you would be correct, but for some reason the bottom (or back) just has tabs that "hook" into the hood. Over time the pad shrinks causing the tabs to no longer hook in. Over time the hood pad then begins to sag.

Like AR1 said, they are at the least fire resistant, but the potential is there.

How easy do the clips come off?

typeone

Ready to race!
How easy do the clips come off?

very easy. Wrath is probably talking about the tabs on the cloth pad itself, which just tuck into the hood ... not the plastic tabs that can be popped out ... but those pop out super easy as well.

i removed mine months ago. no issues and very little sound change. forgot i removed it until i saw this thread :)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
very easy. Wrath is probably talking about the tabs on the cloth pad itself, which just tuck into the hood ... not the plastic tabs that can be popped out ... but those pop out super easy as well.

i removed mine months ago. no issues and very little sound change. forgot i removed it until i saw this thread :)

Notice any injection clatter or other noises? Turbo noise is good of course.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36

Exactly. The plastic clips or tabs (whatever you want to call them) squeeze together and then pop out, super easy. I should have used some different lingo, my bad.

To answer The Fed's question, as long as you keep the engine cover on, you shouldn't hear much if any extra injector noise. Should be mostly the turbo you can hear better.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
^ great idea, some manufacturers are starting to do similar things or have done in the past. I think MBZ mostly.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
You could also do a full under the hood treatment. I've seen that done before and it looks fantastic :D

typeone

Ready to race!

To answer The Fed's question, as long as you keep the engine cover on, you shouldn't hear much if any extra injector noise. Should be mostly the turbo you can hear better.

immediately after removing i did notice a slight change in 'sounds' from the engine bay but they were so subtle i didn't notice them anymore after a 2hr commute. meaning, upon restart, i had already forgotten i removed the pad.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx

You do hear other noises and I would say the sound can seem...less refined? If that's that word. But when you give it the beans you can hear the engine and DV better and it sounds nice.

If you are at all worried about the paint on the hood above the turbo get something like this and stick it on your hood above the turbo:
https://www.amazon.com/Relfect-Gold..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=4VJ7SJ4ESS3QZEMNWETT

I've thought of doing this...I've just been lazy.

This one costs more but has more reviews and it's rated better:

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engin...039Z5TRC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Thanks.
Helps with understanding.

For more noise, remove hood.
Wolf figured this out!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I don't know if the turbo gets hot enough to blister modern paints. I had turbo cars in the "old" days. I could drive up a long hill at night see the turbo glowing red when I opened the hood. Probably needed the insulation then.

Maras66

Car(s)
Mk7r
Remove!!! Dont even think😔

Attachments

• 992174DE-730B-45E2-98E6-E7845C23AC9D.jpeg
    992174DE-730B-45E2-98E6-E7845C23AC9D.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 781AE0CB-1ED0-4428-84DF-7250CF97B2CE.jpeg
    781AE0CB-1ED0-4428-84DF-7250CF97B2CE.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 9E5EE3B2-6E1D-489F-BDF7-7E4C966ABBB2.jpeg