GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

my underhood insulation /warping

shamibal

Passed Driver's Ed
the underhood insulation is warping near the turbo.The dealer said excess heat from the turbo caused it. Should I be concerned about this. The dealer said VW has to examine it in order to warranty it. Im not bothered with it , should I be

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
It’s just a fire blanket. Unless it’s actually drooping down and touching anything I wouldn’t worry, that being said, I’d damn sure get a new one if under warranty, then wait for it to happen again lol

B6JoeS41

Bumping this thread to provide my experience with the same issue.

My 2016 R with 16k on it had a sagging hoodliner. The part that was sagging was the rear part that would be "above" the turbo. The dealership replaced it under warranty. Tech noted that the hoodliner "shrunk"

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Bumping this thread to provide my experience with the same issue.

My 2016 R with 16k on it had a sagging hoodliner. The part that was sagging was the rear part that would be "above" the turbo. The dealership replaced it under warranty. Tech noted that the hoodliner "shrunk"

At my shop we have run into this a bunch with older cars. Thermal cycling seems to shrink the hood pad. We often just let the customer know that it could become a fire hazard (some of them are so bad they are laying on the engine or turbo when the hood is closed), and the best option is to simply remove it. Some choose to order a new one and have us install it.

It doesn't protect the hood paint from the heat for those of you worrying about it.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
At my shop we have run into this a bunch with older cars. Thermal cycling seems to shrink the hood pad. We often just let the customer know that it could become a fire hazard (some of them are so bad they are laying on the engine or turbo when the hood is closed), and the best option is to simply remove it. Some choose to order a new one and have us install it.

It doesn't protect the hood paint from the heat for those of you worrying about it.
I wonder if that's why VW stopped putting it on the late 17's and pretty much all of the 18's.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I wonder if that's why VW stopped putting it on the late 17's and pretty much all of the 18's.

With all the cost savings they have been doing with various areas of the car, it wouldn't surprise me.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Wondering if a turbo blanket would mitigate this?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

How is this shrunk?
Would this not be more like "Sagging"?
If shrinking I would think liner would be tight.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I removed mine for more noises in cabin.

Snitt

Ready to race!
Is there any downside to removing it? I'd also like more noise but don't want to cause stupid questions from dealership.

I've heard that it makes your hood hotter from the underside and can make your paint fade quicker. However, I'm not sure how that would happen, since it gets pretty hot on a sunny summer day. Maybe the concern is that without the insulation, it would get hot regardless of the weather.

Some Subaru guys used to put Dynamat under their hoods, but that was around 2004 when I had my WRX. I don't know if that's recommended or even done anymore.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
How is this shrunk?
Would this not be more like "Sagging"?
If shrinking I would think liner would be tight.[/QUOTE

It shrinks and the tabs look like they're ready to fall out of their slots. I see what the OP means. I just put it on my 3-year service check list.

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
The big black thing under the hood? It's listed as a sound insulator in the parts catalog

AR11

Ready to race!
Mine warped. Considering trimming the warped portion by the turbo and leaving the rest. I would expect it to be pretty fire proof but agree it could be a fire risk.