GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strut mount options

Whiteout007

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys.

I have an 2017 Sport with Bilstein pss10 coilovers and 034 Motorsport strut mounts. Setup has 5k on it.

I have a rattling sound when going over uneven surfaces sounds like something is loose on the passenger side. My shop traced it to be more then likely the stunt mount.

What others options are available for strut mounts for my coilovers?

I heard to stay away from ECS?

Will OEM strut mounts hold up?

Are Audi TT? Mounts an option?

Thanks.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
I've heard good things about 034 strut mounts on the MK7, I personally had them in my MKV and they were awesome. :)

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Who installed them? You or the shop?

Since they're coilovers (they're shorter than the OEM struts), they're easy to pull out & swap the mount out yourself

I'd go back to the OEM mounts, they should work & be fine

DON'T use an impact gun on the coilover top nut though (hopefully the shop didn't either, if they installed them)....but make sure it's tight.

Then take sure the bearing & mount are both oriented properly, make sure the strut mount bolts are tight & make sure the end link nuts are tight too

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Who installed them? You or the shop?

Since they're coilovers (they're shorter than the OEM struts), they're easy to pull out & swap the mount out yourself

I'd go back to the OEM mounts, they should work & be fine

DON'T use an impact gun on the coilover top nut though (hopefully the shop didn't either, if they installed them)....but make sure it's tight.

Then take sure the bearing & mount are both oriented properly, make sure the strut mount bolts are tight & make sure the end link nuts are tight too

This. OEM mounts and bearings, tightened and torqued properly by hand. Should be good for a minimum of 100k miles when installed correctly

Whiteout007

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys will go back to OEM mounts.

I am ok to reuse the oem mounts and bearings that came off the car at 5k?

Shop installed them.

I will mention the above about proper install but I am fairly certain the tech knows what he is doing he owns a Porsche Audi VW shop and owns a modded rs4 with the same suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thanks guys will go back to OEM mounts.

I am ok to reuse the oem mounts and bearings that came off the car at 5k?

Shop installed them.

I will mention the above about proper install but I am fairly certain the tech knows what he is doing he owns a Porsche Audi VW shop and owns a modded rs4 with the same suspension.

I installed my VWR springs with the original mounts and bearings after 10k or so. Car now has 56k on it and has never had a suspension noise or issue ever.

Automotive techs tend to do things the fast way, if it’s correct or not. DAP even uses an impact on their “diy suspension” install how to video as do many dealership techs...

And that’s where threads like yours come in. Between here and the Facebook pages there’s literally hundreds of threads about suspension noise after installs with each of them including plenty of “me too, mine makes that noise”. It’s pure laziness and completely unacceptable.

Ask your tech if he used air tools on your install. I guarantee you he says “yes”

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Your OEM mounts will be fine
BUT you spent $1400 (or whatever) on the coilovers....spend the extra $50-60 and get the new bearings too so you can put the issue to bed.

Agreed on what Jake said...they probably did use air tools & that's the wrong way of doing it.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
I installed my VWR springs with the original mounts and bearings after 10k or so. Car now has 56k on it and has never had a suspension noise or issue ever.

Automotive techs tend to do things the fast way, if it’s correct or not. DAP even uses an impact on their “diy suspension” install how to video as do many dealership techs...

And that’s where threads like yours come in. Between here and the Facebook pages there’s literally hundreds of threads about suspension noise after installs with each of them including plenty of “me too, mine makes that noise”. It’s pure laziness and completely unacceptable.

Ask your tech if he used air tools on your install. I guarantee you he says “yes”

That's true for the most part but Hoon helped me install mine with new mounts/bearings, torqued every bolt by hand, and my front right makes a consistent noise and the front left lets out a squeak once in a blue moon.

It's been getting less frequent and I expect it to go away eventually but definitely not install error. Maybe new mounts just need a little time to break in?

Seems like aftermarket mounts cause the most issues across the board though. I don't get the benefit of going away from OEM ones.

Whiteout007

Passed Driver's Ed
From 034 Motorsports website

“The rubber is also fully vulcanized to the center cups to increase the lifespan and performance of the mounts significantly. The steel strut mount bodies have also been redesigned to cope with the added stresses of spirited driving.

The result is a significant reduction in deflection of the strut mount. These mounts will also eliminate the annoying "squeaking" sound often caused by the stock strut mounts when paired with coilover suspensions.”

For some reason I thought read last year when installing the coilovers, that upgraded strut mounts were required with coilovers.

The sound I am getting is not a squeaking. Sound likes the suspension is loose when going over uneven surfaces and when hitting dips in the road it sounds like the suspension is crashing.

I had two separate shops look at the car and do a full check of the suspension and confirm no issues with a loose subframe. It is down to either a bad strut or strut mount so we will remove the strut assembly and replace the mount and see if that fixes it. The strut had no visible leaks.

I would prefer to go to an OEM / OEM+ (Audi TT) if advised to hopefully remove some harshness in the suspension. I have read numerous instances on the forums with people who had aftermarket suspension and strut mounts and were unhappy with the lousy ride (harshness) then went back to factory mounts and were happy with the ride.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Get 034motorsports mounts. They're the best and give out hardly any noise compared to others and will last way longer than oem.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Bottom line is any noise means it’s not right. Don’t settle, the car didn’t have issues before the install and definitely should not after

JSUN1

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't have a dog in this race but I saw a video on youtube and the guy was having a noise issue like you he was using 034 mounts too (MK6 car). It turned out that the 034 mounts where the bearing fits into the mount is sloppy and the OEM mount has no play (they fit tightly together) the 034 mounts fit loosely together (the bearing into the mount) he switched back to the OEM part problem gone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKkzNUngl28
Maybe this is the same for Mk7?