GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Walked out on dealer - did not purchase the R :-(

Mike-E

Go Kart Newbie
Mine had 29 miles on it before I test drove it. I went to 5 different dealers and all were within 15-30 miles. It’s the norm from the factory for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people seem to think they levitate from the assembly line to the ship to the dealer's lot.

RoyB2

Ready to race!
I got the same thing a couple weeks ago. No promotions are shown.

Now go price a different Golf--GTI or lower. See what happens.

So there are no factory promotions or cash available. That's what it tells me.

I knew everything about the end of year GTI promotions back in December. I had full information with which to make a decision.

And in the end, the non-Costco dealer who gave me the very first price, ended up having the lowest price with absolutely zero hassle.

I have tried the costco thing a couple times. I always get a better deal on my own. But I get it, for people that don't like to haggle. I picked up my 2015 for under sticker by about 1200. That's when they first were available too. All you have to do is ask.

You don't have to tell me, the sticker on my 2011 335i was $56,400 fully loaded 7 years ago, so I have owned more expensive cars. It has absolutely nothing to do with the price of the car or exclusivity. Like I mentioned in many of my posts, I have bought Civics and others cars with 2-5 miles on the odo and that is the way I prefer to buy all my cars - with the lowest mileage possible, regardless of the price of the car. You guys don't care if your new car has 37 miles on it, and some here do. To each his own. I just know I am not the only one. It's my money and I set my own expectations, not someone else's. I don't tell you how to spend your money. It's your choice. I can advise if asked, but I don't judge. I was like many of you 20-25 years ago and wanted to finalize the deal quickly and drive that new car home sooner than later. That's not me any longer.

I can't believe this thread is still going strong :) I never expected this, but I am glad to see several people feel like me, and not at all surprised people are so judgmental. I 've been around forums since the late 80's. There is never 1 opinion on any 1 subject.

Anyway, I have started to mod my 335i and will be hitting the track again in a couple of weeks hopefully, and maybe start instructing again. I was just looking for a daily driver, and I no longer have a commute, so if I can't find a low mileage R for under MSRP or for the same price ($41K was the deal I backed out on) or better, I might just get an '18 GTI and just do a Stage 1 or other mods with the $ I will save from not buying an R. Don't know yet, we 'll see. I bet won't have a problem finding GTI's with <10mi. on the clock ;)

The CTR is still on the table too. I like having choices. I am not desperate for an R. If I were, I would have taken that deal or try to re-negotiate, but I have learned to walk away from dealers over the span of the 4 decades I have been purchasing new cars, especially when they are not straight shooters, or try to deceive me in any way.

Enjoy your cars people! Take them to the track or an auto-x event once in a while. Don't do stupid things on the street. Get it out of your system at a sanctioned event, meet people, and have fun. Above all don't be embarrassed. Just make sure everyone knows you are a novice (if you are), and don't take it personally if you come in last or mess up. You are there to have fun and don't have the seat time (or mods) many of the others have.

Harry

What's laughable is that you expected no one to drive a car for 4 days while you went back and forth with the dealer and then left for the dealer lying. So, it's possible the dealer was being honest and someone else test drove the car in those 4 days. You never put a deposit down so your whole premises is ridiculous. You act like they were saving a virgin car for some guy to come pickup with no skin in the game.

Now if you put a deposit down on a car with 5 miles and then showed up and it had a whole 30 additional miles I could understand (not agree, but understand) why you would be pissed. And someone who touts about their "fully loaded" vehicle tells me all I need to hear.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Just for fun I checked the website of the dealer where I bought my R and they have pictures of 10 Rs in stock including a picture of each dash and the current or at least the trip mileage and the numbers for each of the 10 are: 8, 13.9, 12.2, 9.9, 37, 10, 10.3, 20, 17, 20.

When I bought my car there were only 5 in stock and now they have 10 a month and a half later and it's clear some are being driven though I have no idea when the pictures were taken or obviously how many miles are on each car now. But that's an average of 15.8 miles on the 10 cars.

Interesting that my car had 8 miles and the car they have with the lowest mileage still shown is 8 miles (again, no telling what it has now or what it had when it came in.)

only1harry

Ready to race!
I changed my mind after all the nice advice I got here from some great and respectful people of this forum. I am now looking for a new R with a minimum of 50 miles, 75 preferred. Afterall, the dealer techs and people test driving them who have no intention of buying the car know what's best. Maybe I will have someone from the Dealer deliver it to my house to get the most miles on the clock. I look forward to hearing my car get closer and its engine racing from up the road, and listen as the ABS kicks in when the driver tests and breaks in the pads and rotors for me one last time by standing on them, before pulling into my driveway. The more miles on it the better. It means the car is broken in for me as many here suggested, by other people who care. Saves me the trouble and gives me peace of mind. Hopefully the delivery person won't miss any of the nice deep pot holes along the way either. Who wants tight steering with no free play anyway? Highway stability issues and constant steering corrections after a couple of big pot holes or bouncing off a curb can be fixed with just a wheel alignment, right?

What could go wrong with the most people possible driving the car before I purchase it? Not a thing! The more the merrier.

You guys crack me up. I 've had fun reading all the immature, sarcastic remarks like they are coming from 18 year old's, so I guess I needed to respond in a comparable tone that you come to expect.

I get the feeling this is not the friendly mature forum I was hoping it would be, or maybe the R owners are much younger than I had expected. One thing is certain. I will not be running into many of you in other forums where the rules are enforced by moderators who do their job.

I would like to thank those who have responded privately supporting my decision and expressing their disgust with the hostility and snotty remarks.

I still want to believe this is a decent forum with a lot of valuable information, and enough people that are willing to help and share information.

Harry

RoyB2

Ready to race!
You still haven't addressed my observation of what happened in the 4 days you couldn't make a decision on purchase price.

And this is a car. It's isn't going to magically get destroyed driving it down the street. What kind of world do you live in where people go bouncing cars off curbs and aiming for pot holes and locking up the tires and kicking in ABS during test drives?

Clearly you are from NY with the attitude you bring to the forums. It's a mass produced Volkswagen. Not a rare supercar :rolleyes:

You should probably stick with the BMW. It seems to suite your attitude better than a VW would.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
For someone who claims to have been around forums since the "late 80's", you should have known you were bound to get some remarks that you don't necessarily agree with / don't like.
You can't expect everyone to just agree with you, or then get bent out of shape when there are those who don't.

Just saying.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
If you were really matured (as you claim) and had some patience, you would have factory ordered the vehicle without going through any of this. I think you should be better off in "other" forums!

Good luck.

Robbb

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm coming into this thread late, but most factories have a half-mile to a mile track to test drive cars before they leave the plant. Alignment, Fine Tune, Check Tire Balance, Address Noises, etc. It is not uncommon for it to have 5-10 miles from the factory alone. I hear what you're saying but with the 6 year/72K mile warranty I'm sure it'll be fine. Also, most old school guys will floor their car right away because if it's put together right you'll expose problems immediately. Fresh Dragster engines go through hell and are fine.

Attachments

• Flat rock.JPG
    Flat rock.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 426