GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First GTI

DucatiScottie

Hello all, I have owned 6 Jetta's since the age of 16 and just traded my 07 Fahrenheit in on a 16 GTI 6mt Autobahn pp. I am looking for some suggestions on mods. I am currently considering starting with the forge intake, BOV, turbo blanket, and the Cobb cat back resonated exhaust. Any Ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also looking for someone in the PDX area that can fix the LED plate light issue. I have read that it is just a OBDII code that can be easily edited but the dealership said that they would not do it for me.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Welcome to the forum!

First off I'd skip the BOV, turbo blanket, Cobb, and the cat back exhaust. I can explain why if you'd like, but that's a lot of extra typing I can use to suggest much more worthwhile mods. Plus I've already done it here --- http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26845

As for great first mods, here's what myself and most would suggest.

-Dog bone mount insert (I prefer BFI) and turn off or disable the soundekor.

-Catted DP (I prefer CTS, but there's tons to choose from). You'll pick up about 30hp, vs a cat back which might pick up 10-15. A lot of people love the exhaust not with just a DP, or that and an upgraded resonator (Vibrant 17930 for the stock CB 2.5" tubing)

-JB4. Plug and play from home, adjustable, won't void your warranty, and can be removed and sold OR stacked if you buy an off the shelf tune (I run APR)

-your intake idea is kinda unnecessary, because our stock intake is good. But myself included most will eat the high cost/small gain to hear the turbo

-OBD 11 you can scan codes and do coding yourself for $120ish

-ECS bleeder block or remove the stock clutch line metering valve

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I would skip all that stuff - the bang-for-the-buck factor is horrendous on those items. Lots of cash for very little performance gain.

If you're itching to spend some cash, and want to increase performance, I'd highly suggest investing in a high performance driving school *first* before any other mods. Better driving skills will do more for performance and driving enjoyment (and safety too) than cosmetic or noise-generating stuff.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I would skip all that stuff - the bang-for-the-buck factor is horrendous on those items. Lots of cash for very little performance gain.

If you're itching to spend some cash, and want to increase performance, I'd highly suggest investing in a high performance driving school *first* before any other mods. Better driving skills will do more for performance and driving enjoyment (and safety too) than cosmetic or noise-generating stuff.

Maybe he's already a SCCA champion in his class?

Either way, a stock GTI is mind numbingly slow IMO. I'd never buy one if it had to stay stock

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Maybe he's already a SCCA champion in his class?

Do you really think he'd be asking the question and suggesting THOSE items if he was? C'mon man.

Either way, a stock GTI is mind numbingly slow IMO. I'd never buy one if it had to stay stock

5.9 seconds 0-60 out of the slower 6MT is hardly what I would call "mind numbingly slow". Too slow for your taste, ok, that's your call. But the hyperbole is a bit over the top. And I'm not suggesting that he keep it stock forever, merely that a) his short list of potential first mods are NOT going to do much for performance, especially from a bang-for-the-buck perspective, and b) that a driving school investment would be his best option to start with. IMHO of course.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Congrats on your new ride.

I would suggest to live with the car for a couple of months before deciding what you want. The first mod i did was tires. Not sure if your car still has stock tires, as reported by many they are horrible.

armedferret

Ready to race!
Thank you for the input. Glad I did not just blow 2k on noise makers. As for the DP does the diameter matter if I keep the stock exhaust?

Most downpipes are intended to mate up to the factory exhaust. Some aren't, but the majority definitely are. They tend to state in the description.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
All of the dp I know of are 3", with the exception of cts which is advertised as 3.5", but only stays that size for the first foot then drops down to 3".

Any of them are good, and the stock 2.5" cat back isn't much of a restriction at all. In fact the two world record holding mk7 (gti & R) both have stock cat backs

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
OP, how's the emissions testing in WA state?

I doubt you'll see any gains with all of the mods you listed, except in the noise arena.

And VCDS is only $199 and you can do logging.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
Welcome to the forum!

First off I'd skip the BOV, turbo blanket, Cobb, and the cat back exhaust. I can explain why if you'd like, but that's a lot of extra typing I can use to suggest much more worthwhile mods. Plus I've already done it here --- http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26845

As for great first mods, here's what myself and most would suggest.

-Dog bone mount insert (I prefer BFI) and turn off or disable the soundekor.

-Catted DP (I prefer CTS, but there's tons to choose from). You'll pick up about 30hp, vs a cat back which might pick up 10-15. A lot of people love the exhaust not with just a DP, or that and an upgraded resonator (Vibrant 17930 for the stock CB 2.5" tubing)

-JB4. Plug and play from home, adjustable, won't void your warranty, and can be removed and sold OR stacked if you buy an off the shelf tune (I run APR)

-your intake idea is kinda unnecessary, because our stock intake is good. But myself included most will eat the high cost/small gain to hear the turbo

-OBD 11 you can scan codes and do coding yourself for $120ish

-ECS bleeder block or remove the stock clutch line metering valve

Soundaktor and ECS bleeder block total cost next to nothing and is a nice improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro