manual vs dsg and why

BTDUBS

The Interceptor
Car(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
DSG, Bay Area traffic. ‘Nuff said.

TheJokker

Go Kart Newbie
To me, the engagement is worth the "slower lap times" but I buy cars to drive on the road not on the track. And as a previous poster noted, nothing is better than rev matching downshifts.
According to road tests by "Car and Driver" and "Road and Track" you will get better lap times with the manual while the DSG will be better in a drag race. The DSG is unquestionably superior accelerating in a straight line but both magazines fault the DSG for delays in downshifting both in Sport mode and in Manual mode.

The DSG is a great equalizer but the highly skilled will appreciate the manual...

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
If you want the quickest shifts and fastest drag times then the DSG is for you. I personally went with manual because my last car (09 Audi A4 automatic) was so boring to drive. I like the engagement of driving a manual, makes you feel like a driver instead of a passenger. Also i love the surprised look on peoples faces when they see my car has a manual, almost like people think it is extinct in newer cars.

jai5

Passed Driver's Ed
I would be happy with either but ultimately DSG won for me because:

- Wife can drive it
- can drive it in Manual mode all the time
- Can tune it without needing a clutch
- Adaptive cruise control is more useful
- Can be lazy on cold mornings and just leave it in D and drive away
- Steep uphill driveway

RRocket

Passed Driver's Ed
I would be happy with either but ultimately DSG won for me because:

- Wife can drive it
- can drive it in Manual mode all the time
- Can tune it without needing a clutch
- Adaptive cruise control is more useful
- Can be lazy on cold mornings and just leave it in D and drive away
- Steep uphill driveway

Got DSG for the above reasons and mine below:

-Oklahoma roads are square, its no fun just up-shifting in a straight line all the time

-I enjoy just being able to put in D and drive. If I need to make a quick lane change or three across the interstate to get to my exit like a jackass, I can hit the down paddle a couple times and press the gas.

I sort of don't understand why the DSG downshift lag bothers people. It's not a video game or an F1 car. It still would take the same amount of time or longer to push in the clutch, move the gear lever, release clutch and give it gas.

Driving the DSG spiritedly requires a little bit of intuitiveness. You have to consider all the variables the car is taking into account, and understand why the car is doing what it is doing. Honestly makes driving the dsg loads better.

Only thing I miss is the raw connection the gas pedal has to the car in a manual. But the above reasons outweigh that by a lot.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
DSG has been the future for about 10 years now. I have driven manuals all my life (32 years) DSG is the best of both world's and one of the (if not the best) dual clutch transmission around. If one is building purely a track car, manual is probably preferred, you'll get no argument from me. But the DSG gives so many different driving options based on conditions, mood and allowing others to also use your car. I don't miss a manual at all.

Someone mentioned Ferrari having a dual clutch transmission. The F1 transmission is NOT a dual clutch unit and the DSG is actually slightly faster at shifting when accelerating. The dual clutch transmission so far has been outlawed in any sort of racing competitions. The F1 transmission in street cars is almost the same transmission used in Ferrari race cars. F1 cars actually use the clutch peddle to get going, after that they use the paddle shifters.

I'd still take the Ferrari any day over my GTi :D

Last edited:

RRocket

Passed Driver's Ed
Also a common theme I see with threads like this "Manual vs. DSG" "PP or non-PP" is the raging insecurity and need for people to justify their purchases and preferences to others.

The only person your car has to impress is you, the owner.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I'm enjoying reading these posts. I'd normally never consider an automatic, but judging by what I've read, the DSG is a huge improvement over what I'd otherwise assume with an auto. Thanks guys.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Also a common theme I see with threads like this "Manual vs. DSG" "PP or non-PP" is the raging insecurity and need for people to justify their purchases and preferences to others.

Hi, welcome to The Internet and Car Forums! Great to have you here! :D

Seriously though, its a pretty accurate statement. Some (not all) manual drivers will throw shade at DSG owners for not being "real" enthusiasts, while the DSG people will mock the manual drivers for living in the past. And on and on it will go, pick your debate: Mac vs Windows, Android vs iOS, etc.

One of my friends, upon finding out that I'd chosen the DSG option, proceeded to give me some lighthearted flack about getting old, never mind that been driving manuals since before he could reach the pedals. That lasted about a minute, before my other buddy pointed out how many automatics that friend #1 had owned over the years.

One final thought: the Porsche GT3 only comes with a DSG, and I'm willing to bet that not a single manual driver among us would turn one down if they were offered one, with the stipulation that they had to drive it, and could not sell it.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I'm enjoying reading these posts. I'd normally never consider an automatic, but judging by what I've read, the DSG is a huge improvement over what I'd otherwise assume with an auto. Thanks guys.

Yes, it is! Not even in the same league as the typical torque converting autos. Miles better than a CVT as well.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Yes, it is! Not even in the same league as the typical torque converting autos. Miles better than a CVT as well.

That was one of the factors that led me here. The Subaru WRX was in contention, but I would have had to get a manual, because I'd rather chew my own foot off than drive a CVT.