GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

License Plate Delete

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
OK, the moral to this story is, WHEN YOU BUY A NEW CAR, PUT IT IN WRITING ON THE SALES CONTRACT THE DEALER WILL NOT DRILL YOUR FRONT BUMPER. MAKE SURE A REAL SALES MANAGER SIGNS IT, ONE THAT HAS THE AUTHORITY TO BIND THE DEALERSHIP FOR CONTRACTS. OR INSIST THE OWNER SIGNS IT. OR WALK.

RRocket

Passed Driver's Ed
OK, the moral to this story is, WHEN YOU BUY A NEW CAR, PUT IT IN WRITING ON THE SALES CONTRACT THE DEALER WILL NOT DRILL YOUR FRONT BUMPER. MAKE SURE A REAL SALES MANAGER SIGNS IT, ONE THAT HAS THE AUTHORITY TO BIND THE DEALERSHIP FOR CONTRACTS. OR INSIST THE OWNER SIGNS IT. OR WALK.

This. I asked multiple times about the bumper not being drilled before delivery. I almost thought the guy would drill it out of spite because I kept confirming it wouldn't be drilled to the point of annoyance.

Tow hook plate mount only way to go. The asymmetry doesn't bother me in the least. Holes in the bumper definitely would. Luckily I don't live in a front plate state.

dsimons1187

Ready to race!
TRIGGERED!

Welcome to my Ignore list, a rare place that only one other member here has graced until now.

Not much of a Billy Madison fan huh? I meant no offense by that, just having a little fun. Clearly that was a grossly over exaggerated statement that shouldn’t have been taken seriously. And if you don’t know what I’m talking about, look up Billy Madison debate...

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
I specifically ordered my .:R with instructions to leave the front bumper alone. I pre-purchased a cheap $30 tow hook plate mount and threw it to the sales person when ordering.

I found that the plate would get picked up by my parking sensors so i bent the edges of the plate towards the bumper. One person told me once that it looks ghetto but i really don't have any regrets. It's easily replaced with something else or nothing and I'm very pleased with the look personally.

In4ghettosuperstarcomments:
I bet you could still get ticket since the last number is hard to see at angle. living in ottawa, with quebec right next door, lets me get away with no front plate, cops would just figure it is a quebec car

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
I bet you could still get ticket since the last number is hard to see at angle. living in ottawa, with quebec right next door, lets me get away with no front plate, cops would just figure it is a quebec car
You're probably right! Lol

I have no plate mounted to the front of my C6 vette and always hope i can get away with sweet talking my way out of a ticket by showing unnatural passion for the car and it's bumper. Also the front sits super low... or i just got lucky for the last two summers lol.

This car looks much more utilitarian and i don't suspect i have many heart strings to tug on while pulled over; however, i would straighten out the plate in front of the officer and hope (s)he would show mercy on poor me.

In both cases i would pay the ticket, i think it's like $100 fine and no impact on driving record.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
You're probably right! Lol

I have no plate mounted to the front of my C6 vette and always hope i can get away with sweet talking my way out of a ticket by showing unnatural passion for the car and it's bumper. Also the front sits super low... or i just got lucky for the last two summers lol.

This car looks much more utilitarian and i don't suspect i have many heart strings to tug on while pulled over; however, i would straighten out the plate in front of the officer and hope (s)he would show mercy on poor me.

In both cases i would pay the ticket, i think it's like $100 fine and no impact on driving record.

yup, i have had many of those over the last 23 years!!!

Wetelvis

Ready to race!
i also turned off the amber running light on my head light required by law. oh dear i am bad.
and I have tinted windows too which are illegal where i live.
see a pattern?
quit your preaching, its not hurting anybody

Ditto!! If it personally doesn’t effect you move on ?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I ran with my front plate in the front windshield in My Mustang...the GTI I am not as fussy about. I had it written in the Stang order paperwork no front plate....No tix, no comments from LEO's (and I got pulled over 2x with it) but being an older white guy helps. I understand folks not wanting one, but don't do the crime if you ain't got the time.

so everyone in Europe has one? 'Murica land of rebels!

nocarguy

Don't want to make this a big deal, but this might help other folks looking for ideas if they are bothered by the holes but don't want to/not required to run a front plate. My dealership promised finding one without bumper being drilled ( they don't drill them but they don't have the colors I want on their lot). After a few days they offered another $700 off based on the original deal if I take one with bracket attached. So I just took the deal thinking worst case is that I run a front plate if bumper plugs etc don't work.
Anyway I tried the bumper plugs and they look awful with 5 of them bundled up front. Here's my solution for now that doesn't look half bad:

Ordered from here: http://marshpowerhousefab.bigcartel.com/product/carbon-fiber-license-plate-delete

Last edited:

rahtx

Go Kart Newbie
you're over the line................;)
That's exactly how I park - backed up to a pillar, and touching if not on top of the line at the end. My last car was absolutely brutalized by door-dinging a-holes, so I'm going to the extreme to avoid them now. No parking tickets yet, so I don't think my local enforcement cares (and they are around and checking since my work is permit-only parking) :)

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
I found that the plate would get picked up by my parking sensors so i bent the edges of the plate towards the bumper. One person told me once that it looks ghetto but i really don't have any regrets. It's easily replaced with something else or nothing and I'm very pleased with the look personally.

The car does adapt after about 2 or 3 weeks (or it could be a certain amount of km driven) and stop beeping at you if you had left it. But yours does stick out about twice as far as the more expensive brackets, so don't know if the car will adapt with that much of the sensor blocked.

Still, I'm in the prefer your way over center drilled plate camp.

nocarguy

That's exactly how I park - backed up to a pillar, and touching if not on top of the line at the end. My last car was absolutely brutalized by door-dinging a-holes, so I'm going to the extreme to avoid them now. No parking tickets yet, so I don't think my local enforcement cares (and they are around and checking since my work is permit-only parking) :)

Yup .. parked like this because co-workers keep dinging my cars. In public parking lots I tend to be better .. and park as far as possible without being too self conscious about it :)

Footnote about the license plate delete mount: our bumper is not exactly flat so to mount a flat plate delete you need 2 small rubber grommets or spacers what not.