GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Regret not buying Performance Pack?

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Yes there are circumstances where PP brakes are no more effective than non-PP brakes but yes there are circumstances where PP brakes "are" more effective than non-PP brakes.

PP brakes are more effective in all circumstances........ except when parked and not moving, then they are the same as non-PP brakes. What a ludicirs thing to say.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
For the $1500-1800 up charge the PP is/was/will be a no brainer. You can't touch what it gives you in the aftermarket for anywhere close to the cost as buying it as an option.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
a 12 year old Hundai Elantra will lock up the wheels. Extra size rotors are not going to make them lock up more. It is when racing and bragging that the extra size/vented helps.

SlyGtiGuy

This is a very good question, one I would have asked if I was buying now instead of a year ago.

Considering that great price for the S, the performance upgrades are not worth it, so you would be right on that. In this specific case, what WOULD make it worth it for me are the lights (+ KESSY). Unless you can retrofit the OEM adaptive headlights easily, your options would be aftermarket reps or leaving them as is (which sucks). Having dealt with aftermarket lights on my previous car, I would NOT consider it an option. No thank you, they almost always are a massive headache that isn't worth the hassle and/or a significant downgrade from the better OEM option.

In your case, I would suggest looking a bit harder. Seems strange you can't find ANY manual Sports? Wouldn't hurt to look out of state too. I picked mine up brand new when they just came out for $25K flat without any VW incentives (did not qualify) so now that the 2018s are ready to come in, I'm sure you can do better. Even if you grab one for $24K, the $3-4K premium would still be worth it to me for the headache saved in retrofitting an LSD, bigger brakes, and living without the LP. Oh, and the keyless system is great, really enjoy it.

If you can't find a good deal on a sport, I would just wait for the 2018s instead of settling on an S. May have to wait a few months for the dealers to realize they're not anything special and give big discounts on them. For me personally, the S makes sense for someone who would have otherwise just bought a golf but got a killer deal or someone who will strip the thing apart anyway to build a track beast. No point paying for parts you're gonna throw away.

Okay thank you for the insight and tips, i definitely would snag up a Sport if i could find one below 25k however the closest ones (in white because thats the color i really want as well) (which im now considering) is in Alabama, Then North Carolina then all the way up in Maryland (i Live in central FL). The AL & NC both have 5k then 8k miles on them respectively. Im not willing to wait / pay extra for the 18s and im not a big fan of the digital dash anyways. i Think you guys may have swayed me on just catching a plane up there and picking it up instead of picking up a local S. That is if my squadron will allow me to take leave to do so lol. Thanks again for the input ! Hopefully ill have one within a month or so upon my return to the US!

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Okay thank you for the insight and tips, i definitely would snag up a Sport if i could find one below 25k however the closest ones (in white because thats the color i really want as well) (which im now considering) is in Alabama, Then North Carolina then all the way up in Maryland (i Live in central FL). The AL & NC both have 5k then 8k miles on them respectively. Im not willing to wait / pay extra for the 18s and im not a big fan of the digital dash anyways. i Think you guys may have swayed me on just catching a plane up there and picking it up instead of picking up a local S. That is if my squadron will allow me to take leave to do so lol. Thanks again for the input ! Hopefully ill have one within a month or so upon my return to the US!
Man up! I drove to DC for mine. [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
DSG or manual?

RRocket

Passed Driver's Ed

I flew to Palm Beach and drove back to OKC for my wife's Jeep. Had my GTI shipped from MD. Even with the shipping cost, it was way less than anything local or even in the closest big cities. Would have flown out to get that one too, but work was busy and the convenience of it just showing up at the house was nice.

Distance shouldn't be a limiting factor for a car sale. one way plane tickets are cheap.

s.hasan546

Passed Driver's Ed
I flew to Palm Beach and drove back to OKC for my wife's Jeep. Had my GTI shipped from MD. Even with the shipping cost, it was way less than anything local or even in the closest big cities. Would have flown out to get that one too, but work was busy and the convenience of it just showing up at the house was nice.

Distance shouldn't be a limiting factor for a car sale. one way plane tickets are cheap.

Agreed. Buy the car you truly want. Don’t settle. A one way flight and some gas isn’t a big deal IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
PP brakes are more effective in all circumstances........ except when parked and not moving, then they are the same as non-PP brakes. What a ludicirs thing to say.

No, no that's not true.

Stock for stock, the oem tires are the limiting factor, not the brakes. The non-PP brakes are strong enough to lock the OEM tires. So, stock for stock, in a daily driving context, there is *NO* benefit to the bigger brakes. They're only for the track.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
No, no that's not true.

Stock for stock, the oem tires are the limiting factor, not the brakes. The non-PP brakes are strong enough to lock the OEM tires. So, stock for stock, in a daily driving context, there is *NO* benefit to the bigger brakes. They're only for the track.
Generally agree. Unless you're stopping from ludicrous speed, or maybe bombing down some mountain switchbacks. Curious though...can the non-PP brakes lock the wheels when they've got good summer rubber on them?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

airjor13

Ready to race!
None, because I knew I was going to mod the shit out of it lol.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
That being said, I don't think I've had the ABS kick in yet including during autocross on stock rubber. The breaking zone after the finish line is pretty short and I'm braking crazy hard there.

Whackamac

Ready to race!
Yup, I regret not getting the PP. My '15 GTI was not PP. My new '17 is. Went to same autox with both.

'17 stage 1 DSG PP was faster than my FBO stage 2 '15 GTI non PP.

neildorrel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit DSG
I have a 6MT with the PP and I'm very glad I have it. Don't get a PP for the extra 10 HP, but rather for the brakes and also if you are going to be adding significant power (I have APR Stage I) the diff is definitely noticeable.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion