GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will be in a GTI soon

RRocket

Passed Driver's Ed
Welp. Sure enough E36 is totaled. Payout going to be enough for about a 10% down payment on the price I'd like to pay for a GTI. So I am officially in the market. Just have to find the right deal.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Welp. Sure enough E36 is totaled. Payout going to be enough for about a 10% down payment on the price I'd like to pay for a GTI. So I am officially in the market. Just have to find the right deal.

2017 Sport if you want the best deal. $6-$7k off MSRP should be attainable if you're in the right market. 2017 SE if you want the leather, sunroof, fender audio.

Or wait for 2018's for the 6yr 72k bumper to bumper warranty if you won't flash tune, but plan on spending about $4k more unless you're willing to wait till next year.

TheJokker

Go Kart Newbie
I don't think you'll be happy going from a RWD car to a FWD car. I know I called the dealer less than a month after trading in my G35 coupe hoping to be able to get my car back. It really sucks especially with a turbo. As the weight shifts to the back wheels and off the front wheels that's when the turbo kicks in and you are just sitting there spinning your wheels. Even worse if you have your wheels turned trying to pull out into traffic. It is the most annoying thing in the world. Then will come all the reliability issues. It is not a good car if you haven't done it yet I would suggest rethinking your options.
Maybe it's not the car but the guy behind the wheel? Maybe you could get a driving lesson from your mom? I'm sure that would help...

RRocket

Passed Driver's Ed
2017 Sport if you want the best deal. $6-$7k off MSRP should be attainable if you're in the right market. 2017 SE if you want the leather, sunroof, fender audio.

Or wait for 2018's for the 6yr 72k bumper to bumper warranty if you won't flash tune, but plan on spending about $4k more unless you're willing to wait till next year.

Trying to get in a Certified 2016 Autobahn w/PP. 5yr/60,000 warranty on the certified. Also they are in the price range I'm looking for.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Trying to get in a Certified 2016 Autobahn w/PP. 5yr/60,000 warranty on the certified. Also they are in the price range I'm looking for.

Do a hard launch before you buy and make sure there is no clutch slippage heh.

alderran1

Ready to race!
So you say a heavy RWD is better than fun to drive FWD. Sorry but many people think otherwise. If you are so concerned about reliability you should have bought a Honda / Toyota instead of a VW. I have come across many of your posts. If you are so unhappy about your GTI, why are you still having it and so active here.

300 lbs is not that much and yes having a balanced vehicle is more fun than a front heavy car that plows through corners like a tractor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alderran1

Ready to race!
That guy's posts have been laughable for a while now... Anyway, I wasn't sure how happy I'd be in a FWD car again and I didn't know if I would like the DSG. I found a dealership with identical cars except for the transmissions and they were happy to let me drive both. Not only did it help me realize how much I like the car, but I ended up buying the manual when I was prepared to go DSG.

And from another former E36 owner, the most fun car I have ever owned was a 97 M3 coupe. I don't think there will ever be another car that feels like it, my E46 M3 convertible sure as hell doesn't and a GTI won't either. With that being said, I still have a blast when I get on back roads with my GTI. I spend so much time in stop and go traffic during my commute that I almost forget how much fun this car is to drive. So don't worry about the switch from RWD to FWD. It's not technically less fun, just a different kind of fun. I got my '17 GTI SE back in march and I've put on 8,100 miles with no issues and definitely no regrets.

Won’t be much fun if you push it to its limits, but good luck with it because now you are stuck because the general public agrees vw is shit hence the abysmal resale value

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Mods: Where is my mute member button?

RRocket

Passed Driver's Ed
Got into a 2016 TR Autobahn w/PP.

Will be delivered tonight! Pics to come

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
TR, what's that? Nevermind....Toronado Red...same color as mine...lol

RRocket

Passed Driver's Ed
2016 Autobahn GTI w/PP, DSG, DCC

Car was delivered late last night. No complaints at all aside from all the road grime from the trip. Took it to the DIY car wash and rinsed and bucket washed it just to get the dirt off. Proper wash will happen this weekend. Paint needs a little work Clay, Polish, Wax, etc.

I haven't been able to tinker with it too much since it came so late and now I am up again straight to work. Pulled off to snap a quick picture though.

Coming from my 5 speed manual BMW I was skeptical about the DSG even after test driving them and liking it at the time. I do not have any regrets about the DSG. I wanted a car that was comfortable and classy, that was also a blast to drive, and the GTI checks all those boxes.

The interior is immaculate, it still has the new car smell even being a year old. I honestly don't understand how a car can be this nice at this price point. It has to be the best value on the market.

Prob will keep the Austins through winter and do wheels and tires when the stock tires are shot. Maybe some VWR springs as well. Going for an OEM+ look. Don't need any frilly stuff beyond that.

Tint coming soon.

RRocket

Passed Driver's Ed
congrats on the GTI, but I felt really bad for the e36, it's such a clean one and non-abused too

Yeah I felt bad for it too. Loved that car. It was my Dad's before mine, so we've had it its whole life. It was in great shape, but some of the maintenance items, especially at 260k were starting to add up, and at that mileage, who knows what catastrophic thing could happen after dumping a bunch of money in it. Turns out a car accident was that thing.

We needed something a little more practical and had been eyeballing GTIs for about 6 months and were probably going to make a move next year anyway.