GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7.5 Autobahn owners - how well are the extra features working?

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Just curious how well all the extra features - like DCC, front assist, lane departure, etc are working?

I’ve heard not so good things about the Mk7 features, so wondering how much they have been improved.

Dhecker99

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a top of the line 2017 autobahn. I think the DCC is a must have as well. As far as I know have driving about 13k miles, everything works perfectly fine.

yakuza70

Passed Driver's Ed
DCC is awesome. Really changes the character of the ride from near luxury to very sporty when you want it. I really like how you can customize all the driving settings!I love the Fender audio too. Rear Traffic Alert has already saved me once in the first month of ownership backing out of parking stall when I was parked next to a huge SUV. Park Distance Control is pretty handy at times but I could live without it. I never understood the need for Lane Assist in any car - if you can't stay in the center of your own lane, you shouldn't be driving! I haven't had a chance to use Adaptive Cruise Control.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Just curious how well all the extra features - like DCC, front assist, lane departure, etc are working?

I’ve heard not so good things about the Mk7 features, so wondering how much they have been improved.

I have a 7.5 Autobahn. Everything is working great. I usually drive in Custom mode with the DCC set to Comfort, and it clearly makes a difference. Front assist has saved me from two collisions, and rear assist saved another. I usually keep lane assist off, except when I'm driving on a long stretch of highway and want the "semi-autonomous" driving experience. It detects lanes very accurately and makes subtle steering corrections to keep you in your lane, but can also be easily overridden by the user.

My favorite is the ACC, which maintains a set distance from other cars, and you can even customize how aggressive the acceleration works.

Haboob

Passed Driver's Ed
DCC is working great.

Lane departure, it works really well. Sometimes it's a bit over aggressive, especially on turns or other parts of the road where lines either move or something, I can feel it pulling away from a line that isn't there.

I haven't been able to test the ACC, as I'm not passed the break-in period yet (40 more miles).

The Fender audio is really nice - granted I've never had any premium audio in a car. My GF even commented on how well it sounds.

Blindbatts

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 7.5 Autobahn. Everything is working great. I usually drive in Custom mode with the DCC set to Comfort, and it clearly makes a difference. Front assist has saved me from two collisions, and rear assist saved another. I usually keep lane assist off, except when I'm driving on a long stretch of highway and want the "semi-autonomous" driving experience. It detects lanes very accurately and makes subtle steering corrections to keep you in your lane, but can also be easily overridden by the user.

My favorite is the ACC, which maintains a set distance from other cars, and you can even customize how aggressive the acceleration works.
does the acc bring the car to a complete stop in traffic and resume when traffic begins to move with no interaction? I've read both that it does that, or that you have to hit the resume button or tap the gas to make the car resume from a stop.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
LP
The auto lights are a nice addition.
Might not be needed but sort of cool on a windy road.
How much they help to see better could be argued.
If we had the full European light system which allows bright light use while following a car would be a great addition.
So LP is nice if you can or want to swing the money.

Jdreg

Ready to race!
LP
The auto lights are a nice addition.
Might not be needed but sort of cool on a windy road.
How much they help to see better could be argued.
If we had the full European light system which allows bright light use while following a car would be a great addition.
So LP is nice if you can or want to swing the money.

So we don’t have the light assist that lights the area around oncoming cars. Crap
Is there anyway to turn that on with one of the vcds type tools
Thanks

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I will say even though I've never experienced it, I really wish they added DCC to the Sport.

So we don’t have the light assist that lights the area around oncoming cars. Crap
Thanks

From what I know that system uses additional sensors as well as shutters / motors in the headlights. I don't even know if it is approved for use in NA yet. I doubt it with the states anyway.

Blindbatts

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks
I believe that mk7.5 autobahns DO have that feature ability in the US.

on my mk7 2017, I removed the NAR light restrictions via obdeleven and since my SE doesn't have the DAP, the only noticeable changes are a wider and lower beam pattern at low speeds (city mode), a higher and further forward beam pattern at highway speeds, and my cornering lights function when I have the foglights on.

I bet removing the NAR lighting restrictions on a mk7.5 autobahn with DAP would have most of the cool lighting adaptations available, since it does auto high beams already.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c

Uh, no.

On the previous Mk7 xenon lights, even the lights themselves were different than the standard xenons that those markets received. Probably the same for the current LEDs. Either way, NFW we get that feature over here, it's probably not even DOT-legal.

pitterchi

Ready to race!
I have a 17' Sport and if the DCC was an option, i would have paid for it. My only concern with the Autobahn is the sunroof and all the leaking problems that are all over the forums. I just can't deal with a leaking sunroof.

If it wasn't for the sunroof issues, I would probably have a Autobahn now.

Haboob

Passed Driver's Ed
does the acc bring the car to a complete stop in traffic and resume when traffic begins to move with no interaction? I've read both that it does that, or that you have to hit the resume button or tap the gas to make the car resume from a stop.

It brings it to a stop and then asks you to hit the brake (after 1-2 seconds), then it turns off the ACC and you have to hit the brake or the car starts rolling forward, otherwise it will slow and then accelerate on it's own back up to the speed (or the distance you set, whichever comes first).

Haboob

Passed Driver's Ed

on my mk7 2017, I removed the NAR light restrictions via obdeleven and since my SE doesn't have the DAP, the only noticeable changes are a wider and lower beam pattern at low speeds (city mode), a higher and further forward beam pattern at highway speeds, and my cornering lights function when I have the foglights on.

I bet removing the NAR lighting restrictions on a mk7.5 autobahn with DAP would have most of the cool lighting adaptations available, since it does auto high beams already.

Uh, no.

On the previous Mk7 xenon lights, even the lights themselves were different than the standard xenons that those markets received. Probably the same for the current LEDs. Either way, NFW we get that feature over here, it's probably not even DOT-legal.

I'm confused at what y'all are describing here. Is what you're talking about different than the adaptive front lighting system and auto-high beams?