GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake fluid puddle on top of transmission

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Well considering I've never had a DSG, no I didn't notice. Not sure why the smart ass remark was necessary but you do you.

If you didn't bother to read the thread before posting than you shouldn't have posted. That's what I was getting at.

Yeah, I am keeping an eye on brake fluid level. It is probably at 90% or so. I was told DSG fluid stinks badly, and this stuff does not and does not look like motor oil, coolant or washer fluid (that would just evaporate). I smelled brake fluid reservoir cap and it seems the same.

Just trying to understand what exactly can leak fluid under normal conditions. reservoir cap? Is this stuff under such pressure that it can leak through the cap rubber seal? Would I see some residue than or brake fluid is super thin?

It can be forced out of the cap if there is pressure, but that usually only happens if overfilled. Usually it will be clear that the reservoir has had leakage. Dirt will stick to the leaking brake fluid.

Is your brake fluid clear? If so, that's def DSG fluid. There is an O-Ring on the DSG filter housing (just like the oil filter housing). Chances are it's as simple as that.

Replace $2 O-Ring, torque to spec, done.

Hoon pretty much answered all your questions. But to add, if it is brake fluid, put your finger in it and then pour some water on it. Brake fluid is... hydroscopic? phobic? can't remember, but it washes away with water, where oil won't.

Unlike the tech's have told you, DSG fluid can be clear and looks exactly like motor oil. The smell is not bad, when compared to certain other trans fluids. Brake fluid pretty much has no smell though. I smelled a bottle of DSG fluid, and depending on your olfactory senses, it may smell slightly sweet.

If it is brake fluid leaking you will see wetness around the reservoir, master cylinder, and brake lines. If you have driven enough mileage with something leaking, often dirt will accumulate in the area.

sshlyk

Ready to race!
If you didn't bother to read the thread before posting than you shouldn't have posted. That's what I was getting at.

Hoon pretty much answered all your questions. But to add, if it is brake fluid, put your finger in it and then pour some water on it. Brake fluid is... hydroscopic? phobic? can't remember, but it washes away with water, where oil won't.

Unlike the tech's have told you, DSG fluid can be clear and looks exactly like motor oil. The smell is not bad, when compared to certain other trans fluids. Brake fluid pretty much has no smell though. I smelled a bottle of DSG fluid, and depending on your olfactory senses, it may smell slightly sweet.

If it is brake fluid leaking you will see wetness around the reservoir, master cylinder, and brake lines. If you have driven enough mileage with something leaking, often dirt will accumulate in the area.

Thank you. This is very helpful!

sshlyk

Ready to race!
Brake fluid is... hydroscopic? phobic? can't remember, but it washes away with water, where oil won't.

I dipped left finger into the puddle and right finger into brake fluid than washed with cold water. Brake fluid washed right away where oil from the puddle did not and remained on my fingers (thin film). I smelled them again. Brake fluid has light aromatic smell, where leaked oil has nothing (at least to my nose).

This is very good tip and I appreciate it

cb1111

I dipped left finger into the puddle and right finger into brake fluid than washed with cold water. Brake fluid washed right away where oil from the puddle did not and remained on my fingers (thin film). I smelled them again. Brake fluid has light aromatic smell, where leaked oil has nothing (at least to my nose).

This is very good tip and I appreciate it
Where did you get the brake fluid?

sshlyk

Ready to race!
Left the car at dealership. Mechanic still claims it is a brake fluid, he submerged fluid in the water to test it somehow. I allowed them to drive it to show that it is not from reservoir. Will see what they say.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Left the car at dealership. Mechanic still claims it is a brake fluid, he submerged fluid in the water to test it somehow. I allowed them to drive it to show that it is not from reservoir. Will see what they say.

That is very strange. You should ask them, "if my brake fluid is constantly leaking, why isn't the reservoir empty". Or something like that.

sshlyk

Ready to race!
Have more details. I was told that leaked oil dissolves in water so they believe it is brake fluid that might be from master cylinder due to heat from spirited driving. I am going to guess that I am more spirited than you guys

cb1111

Have more details. I was told that leaked oil dissolves in water so they believe it is brake fluid that might be from master cylinder due to heat from spirited driving. I am going to guess that I am more spirited than you guys
Horsemanure.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36

So.... if oil dissolved in water. Oil wouldn't burn on the surface of the ocean like it does. They are lying to your face. Call them back and say "chemistry says you are wrong". I highly doubt you drive more spiritedly than anyone else.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Your dealer sounds like they know nothing. Take it to an independent shop who actually cares about your business and satisfaction. If the brake fluid and whatever fluid is leaking from your car are not exhibiting the same properties when exposed to water (I like the finger test you did BTW) then they are clearly not the same and they are lying to you.