GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 GTI SE vs Subaru WRX

capsfanx

Hello all! Need a bit of help. Hope his is the correct forum for this post.

I am about to pull the trigger this weekend on a one of these two. I am definitely leaning towards the GTI as of right now. I have driven both several times trying to make my decision. In my opinion I think the fit and finish is much better on the GTI. Just feels smoother to drive, interior is nicer, etc. Only looking at 6 speed manual.

I’m curious to know, surely there are some of you, if you were in the same boat with these two as I am. What ended up making your decision to go ahead with the GTI? Do you have any regrets now that you did?

I have been reading a bunch on this forum. Every comparison article I can find, etc. Trying to make the best decision. Will most likely have the car for at least 6 years.

Thanks in advance for any input you may have!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benena

Passed Driver's Ed
Stage 1 GTI = Get almost 100 HP and 100 TQ
Stage 2 WRX = Get about 40 HP and 40 TQ? (not sure of the exact numbers but that engine is almost tapped out unless turbo upgrade)

GTI – Way less insurance, better MPG, can play it off as more mature, sooooo much untapped power in that engine.
WRX – Interior rattles here and there. Still can’t fuck with Subaru Symmetrical AWD, I still believe they have the best AWD system.

Now both cars have Cobb AP support. I remember I really wanted to justify getting into the WRX but $ just didn’t make sense for me. More insurance, less MPG, and it cost more than the GTI at the time, I don’t know about it now.
The only thing I can argue for WRX was the AWD, that I can be glad I have it for like 1 month of the year.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
There are two major things in favor of the Subaru. AWD and resale value.

Literally everything else is in favor of the GTI. Interior is way better, it doesn't look like a rice box, DSG trans (CVT?? Lmao Subaru come on), much more durable engine, much more responsive to mods, more comfortable, smoother and more refined, better MPG, cheaper to insure, etc etc etc.

The WRX was the only car I was considering besides the GTI. Chances are if I had gone that route I would have had to build a motor already.

My buddy's bone stock '18 STi just windowed the block. $13k warranty job and it doesn't have 10k miles. Subaru never could build an engine, and that hasn't changed... yet my car has a bigger turbo on 28-29psi and shows no signs of issues.

Last edited:

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Hatchback, gas mileage and build quality are what swung me towards the GTI. I don't know where you live, but AWD isn't really necessary with 2 sets of good tires (sticky summer ones, good winter ones). Depends on what fits your needs though. If my commute was shorter and I owned a truck, I might have gone with a WRX (or a Miata...).

capsfanx

I live in FL, only reason would ever need the AWD is the beach, and we have a Jeep for that. I do a lot of driving for work with my car. I don’t ever like to buy a used car. I have checked the insurance with a GTI but had not with a WRX. So that would be a factor also.

mattd502

Ready to race!
I was cross shopping a WRX and a GTI as well and heavily leaning towards the WRX. I had always wanted one and i was sure that was the car I was going to buy until my dad convinced me to at least test drive a GTI because he thought they were kinda cool. Got the GTI and I'm happy I made that decision every time I sit in the drivers seat. Also like everyone else said the GTI is head over heels the better tuner of the two.

capsfanx

I appreciate the honest feedback guys! I will update on Sat what I do, probably will be posting a picture of the red GTI I’m looking at though

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
The VW dealership (Smith VW in Delaware) that is VERY mod friendly said there are a ton of people coming over from WRX's and STI's to the GTI and Golf R.
It's more usable with the hatch, has a much nicer interior and when tuned, you get a lot more out of them and they don't blow-up.
All-in-all, the GTI is a much better all-around car.

Chuckable

Ready to race!
Before my current 2016 GTI PP I had a 2017 WRX, modded to Stage 2+. Which car to buy really depends on your needs. If it's for the track, I'd go WRX. If it's for the daily drive, go GTI. As other have mentioned, the GTI is cheaper to mod and has greater power potential without engine concerns. The FA20 in the WRX is known for weak rods. The EA888, however, is generally known to be pretty stout. Without a doubt, though, WRXs hold their value much better than GTIs. I sold my WRX for what I paid for it, and bought a certified preowned GTI outright in order to get rid of car payments. Don't discount getting a used one. They're a bargain for what you get.

capsfanx

Yeah definitely no track time. Jus a daily driver that I want to have fun while driving. I have been driving a 2011 Dodge Nitro for the past 7 years. Had some fun vehicles before this one and miss a fun car since I drove so much. My company pays for my gas. I’m sure they will appreciate better MPG than the 15-16 I get currently, lol.

plac

GTI Master
i had my 2015 WRX for 3.2 years and have 950 videos on it. i just went to a GTI SE 4 days ago. but i have some past experience with GTIs also.

there are more things i like about the GTI overall than i liked about my WRX. there is more to like.

capsfanx

Went ahead and pulled the trigger. Thank you all for the input !