GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Motor Trend Article on the R

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
This is pretty much how I've felt about the R all along, and why I wanted one so badly in the first place. For some people, the term "Grand Tourer" is a subtle put down, implying while such a car might be impressive on the highway and on somewhat curvy back roads, a "GT" simply isn't really a sports car, and that's apparent when you take it to the track. I keep thinking, that if I'm not going to be racing a car, don't I want one that will provide equal parts of thrills and confidence while driving or real-world roads? In short, ought I (and 99% of "enthusiast" drivers) not be wanting a "Grand Tourer?" And just as Motor Trend says in this little video, the R is an awesome GT car, unlike virtually every other car it gets compared against (Civic Type R, Subbie STI, Focus RS). That's why when the editors of BBC's Top Gear Magazine debated which car they'd rather live with, the Golf R or the BMW M3, the Golf R was the near-unanimous choice.

Last edited:

bcgti

Ready to race!
When considering an automatic transmission vehicle in North America the Golf R has no competition ..... which I find really sad.

However, yes (speaking for the GTI) it’s a great GT car!

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Agreed, the article pretty much nailed it. For those of us who aren't track rats, and who actually appreciate livability, the car is king of its niche. I wouldn't mind moving out of that niche, admittedly, but I'd be going in the even more "grand" aspect of grand touring, not towards the race-y end of things.

Dark Violet R

Ready to race!
Simply stated the Golf R is a fantastic car ... period. I have had a few fast cars but my 2018 is a really all round driver. I can use it in the winter / summer and as my daily driver with no issues :) 5 stars for VW in my books

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I've been a muscle car my entire life but then I traded me Dodge Challenger for an R and I ain't never going back. Welcome to the 21st Century!

There's different types of muscle! Some are like that bulging biceps with the anchor tattoo, but others are more like the type of muscle gymnasts or swimmers have--strong, flexible, and less flashy. Both are great, for different things.

crf59

I just sold my 2016 GTI and bought a 2018 Golf R. I absolutely love the R (loved the GTI as well, but they have different personalities). For me, I should have bought the R to begin with. After having owned at least a couple of dozen cars, I don't think there are 2 better cars for daily driving on the planet. Now to figure out winter wheels and tires.....

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
He lost me at "sublime steering". Must be a kid that's never driven a car with a real hydraulic rack.

I'm old, so the only R&P cars back then were all foreign with no power assist. Hydraulic recirculating ball boxes were the norm, as smooth as silk and could turn a 5,000 pound car with one finger. Now it's almost or all R&P, and the only reason is weight savings.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I'm old, so the only R&P cars back then were all foreign with no power assist. Hydraulic recirculating ball boxes were the norm, as smooth as silk and could turn a 5,000 pound car with one finger. Now it's almost or all R&P, and the only reason is weight savings.

But surely you've driven/owned cars with hydraulic r&p racks? Very common for years. Drive an E46 BMW and compare it to any current car with an electric-assist r&p setup. The difference is staggering.

I owned a cherry E39 M5 for a year, and unloaded it because I HATED the recirculating-ball steering. It was totally dead and lifeless. All V8-equipped E39's have it, while all 6-cyl E39's are r&p. Some sort of packaging issue.

Back to my point - anyone calling the R's steering "sublime" is either on the pipe, or has never driven a car with a proper steering setup.