GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > Ordering | Pricing | PR Material Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
jevenator
Junior Member
 
Drives: Camry
Location: San Diego
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 22
Is this a good deal, need advice

Hello, I posted a WTB post in the classifieds and have been looking around myself.

I came across a gti that's near me that has some aesthetic mods and is asking for what seems like a good price.

It's a 2016 SE with the lighting package and 24.5k miles on it.

"2016 Volkswagen GTI SE
6spd Manual
24500 miles
Factory Warranty + additional 5 years 60k mile warranty which also includes replacement headlight bulbs, brake pads and key fobs.

Bi-Xenon headlights
Leather
Push Button Start
Apple CarPlay

Mods:
H&R Coilovers
1552 Tarmac wheels (18x8.5 +45)
Magnaflow Muffler/Exhaust Tips
Boomba Shift Knob
LED License Plate Lights

Will include all stock parts"

He's asking for 21k with mods and 20k w/o mods but I always assumed that mods don't really take into account for the price.

I'd personally want to pay 18.5-19k for the car with everything on it. But is that considered a low ball offer? It is tornado red which isnt my first choice of color but I think its growing on me.

http://imgur.com/ZVHnczb
jevenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:47 PM   #2
adam1991
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI Mk7
Location: USA
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,691
Ignore the "additional 5 years 60k mile warranty" crapola. It may or may not transfer, but at any rate, it's worth less than the electrons required to spell it out on the screen here.

There's no harm in offering him 19k. I'd be sad if he took it, because that would tell me what my 2017 Autobahn is really worth (not nearly as much as I'd like), but still.
adam1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:52 PM   #3
jevenator
Junior Member
 
Drives: Camry
Location: San Diego
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
Ignore the "additional 5 years 60k mile warranty" crapola. It may or may not transfer, but at any rate, it's worth less than the electrons required to spell it out on the screen here.

There's no harm in offering him 19k. I'd be sad if he took it, because that would tell me what my 2017 Autobahn is really worth (not nearly as much as I'd like), but still.
When I was at the dealership they said their extended warranty transfers over. I I will offer 19k. I'll be taking a look at the car this weekend. Is it still worth to do a pre purchase inspection on fairly new cars like these?
jevenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:04 PM   #4
Diggs24
Senior Member
 
Diggs24's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 GTI; 2003 Saab 9-3 SS
Location: Flyover Country, looking at JB4 logs
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 7,132
always
__________________
ED Moose E50 tune / ED DSG tune / Tomioka IHX475 Turbo / IE Intercooler / MAP cat+res Downpipe / Autotech HPFP / Precision Raceworks 450 LPFP
Diggs24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:17 PM   #5
adam1991
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI Mk7
Location: USA
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,691
and if he's the modding type, be cautious. Be very cautious.
adam1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:26 PM   #6
CB1111
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI
Location: Washington DC Metro
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,083
Mods will generally reduce the value of a car and I'd be asking these questions:

Who did the mods?
Why are you selling?
What is that noise going over bumps?
Are you sure you installed the coilovers correctly?
Can I get my mechanic to look at it?
How does $17k sound?
CB1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:30 PM   #7
adam1991
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI Mk7
Location: USA
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1111 View Post
Mods will generally reduce the value of a car and I'd be asking these questions:

Who did the mods?
Why are you selling?
What is that noise going over bumps?
Are you sure you installed the coilovers correctly?
Can I get my mechanic to look at it?
How does $17k sound?
Have you flashed the ECU or TCU?

(if so, run.)
adam1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:10 AM   #8
jevenator
Junior Member
 
Drives: Camry
Location: San Diego
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 22
Thank you all for the suggestions.
jevenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:07 AM   #9
jevenator
Junior Member
 
Drives: Camry
Location: San Diego
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 22
Instead of starting another thread, just wanted to get some second opinions. I checked out another GTI, grey 6-speed manual and SE edition with the LP. It's bone stock otherwise. He said lowest he'll go is 18.5k because that's what he owes. He has 41k miles on it and everything looks good. He said that he'd be willing to drive out himself to get a PPI for it if I pay for it. He took care of the oil changes himself changing every 6-8k miles. He just recently put a new set of Pirelli tires on it as well. Less than 500miles.
jevenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:57 AM   #10
freebullets
Junior Member
 
Drives: gti
Location: usa
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevenator View Post
Instead of starting another thread, just wanted to get some second opinions. I checked out another GTI, grey 6-speed manual and SE edition with the LP. It's bone stock otherwise. He said lowest he'll go is 18.5k because that's what he owes. He has 41k miles on it and everything looks good. He said that he'd be willing to drive out himself to get a PPI for it if I pay for it. He took care of the oil changes himself changing every 6-8k miles. He just recently put a new set of Pirelli tires on it as well. Less than 500miles.
What year? And what he owes on it has nothing to do with what it's worth.
freebullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:18 AM   #11
jevenator
Junior Member
 
Drives: Camry
Location: San Diego
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebullets View Post
What year? And what he owes on it has nothing to do with what it's worth.
It's a 2016.
jevenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:41 AM   #12
Gti jake
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI 6MT
Location: Charlotte, NC
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,537
Look up KBB value and offer from there.

Mods don’t add value and what he owes means nothing. The deal has to make sense to you the buyer.

Also maintenance items like new tires don’t add any value either. They’d only be a factor for negotiations taking money off if they needed replaced. If that’s the first set of tires he’s put on the car it must be some kinda record though 40,000 miles is 10k more than a the average life span on tires on these cars, so either he drives like a grandpa or wore them till cord was showing (or both)
__________________
'16 GTI 6MT PM for NC/SC help with Installs & Fabrication

Baun Performance https://facebook.com/Baun-Performance-406768406417784/

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu8...QYExsTq8fhQhmg
Gti jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:52 AM   #13
jevenator
Junior Member
 
Drives: Camry
Location: San Diego
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 22
He said his commute was a 60 miles round trip on the highway every day and that's it. He moved and now he lives 4 miles away and has another car to drive. His average MPG on the screen was exactly what VW says it is, 28mpg. Seems like he babied it fairly well. Only warranty work that's he's had done is that they replaced the headlight and reprogrammed the sunroof because it wouldn't close properly.

KBB average for very good is 18,700 in my area so I think 18,5k is fair.
jevenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:31 AM   #14
Gti jake
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI 6MT
Location: Charlotte, NC
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevenator View Post
He said his commute was a 60 miles round trip on the highway every day and that's it. He moved and now he lives 4 miles away and has another car to drive. His average MPG on the screen was exactly what VW says it is, 28mpg. Seems like he babied it fairly well. Only warranty work that's he's had done is that they replaced the headlight and reprogrammed the sunroof because it wouldn't close properly.

KBB average for very good is 18,700 in my area so I think 18,5k is fair.
Sounds like a good buy then, provided itís in good shape and has never been tuned (if you care about the warranty)
__________________
'16 GTI 6MT PM for NC/SC help with Installs & Fabrication

Baun Performance https://facebook.com/Baun-Performance-406768406417784/

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu8...QYExsTq8fhQhmg
Gti jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:24 AM   #15
Tsi7
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2015 golf 1.8 tsi
Location: Ontario
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 217
I'd honestly buy the non tuned car with double the miles... sounds like a good deal and if you then do your own tuning and something goes wrong, you can't beat yourself up by saying "why did I buy a modded car"
Tsi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:12 AM   #16
Hki2LA
Junior Member
 
Drives: 2018 Golf GTI SE 7.5
Location: HollyWeird
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevenator View Post
I'll be taking a look at the car this weekend. Is it still worth to do a pre purchase inspection on fairly new cars like these?
Ask if you can take it to a VW dealer or a certified VW service center. I do that whenever I buy used. I only had one person say no...so I said "bye!"
Hki2LA is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.