GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > DIY Guides and Discussions

Old 07-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #103
TJN

Drives: '17 VW Golf Wolfsburg
Pretty sure my bleed screws are facing upwards but I'll double check. If I remember correctly, sliding pins were identical when I cleaned and lubed them but I can take it apart to double check. So are you saying the carriers are indeed different besides the pins? Any idea how to tell them apart?

Makes sense about ceramic pads and slotted rotors. I just never heard anyone complaining about squealing as almost everyone who upgraded rotors in the US went with slotted Stoptech.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
TJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:32 PM   #104
pokeyjoe

Drives: Golf 1.8 TSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdave View Post
The carriers have to be the correct way as the pins are different internally...& I can't remember which pin is top & which is bottom
When I bought my carriers, there was a significant price difference between left and right (OEM pricing). So I bought two rights (I believe) and just swapped the pins - top to bottom - on the left side.
pokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:40 PM   #105
TJN

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeyjoe View Post
When I bought my carriers, there was a significant price difference between left and right (OEM pricing). So I bought two rights (I believe) and just swapped the pins - top to bottom - on the left side.
So are you saying pins are only different on the driver side and only bottom? And carriers are identical otherwise?

Old 07-19-2018, 08:02 PM   #106
pokeyjoe

Drives: Golf 1.8 TSI
No. The carriers are identical. The only difference is pin location. Swap them top to bottom and bottom to top.
pokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:22 PM   #107
TJN

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeyjoe View Post
No. The carriers are identical. The only difference is pin location. Swap them top to bottom and bottom to top.
I'm so confused on this. If carriers are identical, what's the point of swapping top and bottom pins? I have a used set from GTI that came with everything needed. I just wanted to make sure they are not side specific. Also the parts diagram only shows one pin number #10 and doesn't differentiate whether its top or bottom.

Last edited by TJN; 07-20-2018 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:38 PM   #108
golfdave

Drives: Defensively, avoiding all the other idiots!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJN View Post
I'm so confused on this. If carriers are identical, what's the point of swapping front and bottom pins? I have a used set from GTI that came with everything needed. I just wanted to make sure they are not side specific. Also the parts diagram only shows one pin number #10 and doesn't differentiate whether its top or bottom.
VW parts diagram is not 100% helpful...

there is only ONE carrier mould per disc size......there are two different pins..one has a black plastic spacer sleeve (on inside section)..the reason that VW give two different part numbers for the carriers is because they buy them with the pins inserted correctly for each side...so that make two different carriers as the top pin is that same type on both sides...same for the bottom pin...just that the top pin differs from the bottom pin..

& yes when I did this swap I got caught out with the pricing difference & that's how I found out about the pins...so that Is why I state at the start of this thread re the parts to buy two of the cheaper part & swap the pins around on the "wrong side"...
golfdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:25 AM   #109
mach128x

Drives: 2016 Golf TSI 5dr & 5sp
I was able to borrow a friend's 2017 4motion GSW today.
57mm pistons in the front, 38mm in the rear.
The front looks like its exactly the same as my TSI based on the markings.

Again just to specify, this is a NAR car.
Attached Images

Last edited by mach128x; 07-20-2018 at 04:37 AM.
mach128x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:33 PM   #110
golfdave

Drives: Defensively, avoiding all the other idiots!!
Just had my callipers off to grease the pins & the pad contact points as sticking….

Noticed that the top slider pin is the one with the plastic "bush/sleeve"...& the bottom one is the all metal one...

This is useful as normally one calliper bracket side is way cheaper than the other side & the only difference is the installation of the pins...the brackets are the exact same mould & machining..
golfdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:35 PM   #111
Sparky589

Drives: Mk7 Golf TSi
Despite a quick VIN check claiming otherwise, apparently my 2016 TSI does in fact come equipped with the 57mm piston.

Only way to be certain at this point is to just pull the wheel and check the caliper itself.

Either way good news for me, I'll be certain to be putting this guide to good use in about half a year when it comes time for my first brake fluid flush.
2016 TSI | Platinum Gray | 6-spd slush | APR IS20 w/DP | APR Downpipe | AWE Track Exhaust | Vibrant 17930 | VWR R600 | BFI Stage 2 Mount Kit | BC BR Coilovers | Konig Ampliform | 034 Front + Rear Sway Bar | Michelin P4s
Sparky589 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
288mm to 312mm swap, 312mm front brake discs, mk7 golf