GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the 312mm front brakes to a Mk7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'm so confused on this. If carriers are identical, what's the point of swapping front and bottom pins? I have a used set from GTI that came with everything needed. I just wanted to make sure they are not side specific. Also the parts diagram only shows one pin number #10 and doesn't differentiate whether its top or bottom.

VW parts diagram is not 100% helpful...

there is only ONE carrier mould per disc size......there are two different pins..one has a black plastic spacer sleeve (on inside section)..the reason that VW give two different part numbers for the carriers is because they buy them with the pins inserted correctly for each side...so that make two different carriers as the top pin is that same type on both sides...same for the bottom pin...just that the top pin differs from the bottom pin..

& yes when I did this swap I got caught out with the pricing difference & that's how I found out about the pins...so that Is why I state at the start of this thread re the parts to buy two of the cheaper part & swap the pins around on the "wrong side"...

mach128x

I was able to borrow a friend's 2017 4motion GSW today.
57mm pistons in the front, 38mm in the rear.
The front looks like its exactly the same as my TSI based on the markings.

Again just to specify, this is a NAR car.

Attachments

• GSW front.jpg
    GSW front.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 755
  • GSW rear.jpg
    GSW rear.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 758
Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just had my callipers off to grease the pins & the pad contact points as sticking….

Noticed that the top slider pin is the one with the plastic "bush/sleeve"...& the bottom one is the all metal one...

This is useful as normally one calliper bracket side is way cheaper than the other side & the only difference is the installation of the pins...the brackets are the exact same mould & machining..

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Despite a quick VIN check claiming otherwise, apparently my 2016 TSI does in fact come equipped with the 57mm piston.

Only way to be certain at this point is to just pull the wheel and check the caliper itself.

Either way good news for me, I'll be certain to be putting this guide to good use in about half a year when it comes time for my first brake fluid flush.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just curious, why would I not want to use copper grease?

On the pins?....

because it cause the rubber spacer/bush sleeve that is on one of the pins & the boot/gaiters to swell & expand & make the pins stick in the carrier....thus the calliper stick "on"....been there done that..:eek:

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Dave, perhaps a silly question: can i use this DIY's general procedure to swap my non-PP front brakes for PP front brakes on my GTI?

Thanks.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
can i use this DIY's general procedure to swap my non-PP front brakes for PP front brakes on my GTI?

Thanks.

yes...torque bolt settings are the same...:cool:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Dave, I did the 312mm swap this weekend with akebono euro ceramic pads. There is section in the center of the rotor about an inch thick where the pad doesn’t touch the rotor leaving ring around the inside of the rotor. What’s the advantage to stepping up a rotor size if the pads aren’t going to contact the entire surface?

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Dave, I did the 312mm swap this weekend with akebono euro ceramic pads. There is section in the center of the rotor about an inch thick where the pad doesn’t touch the rotor leaving ring around the inside of the rotor. What’s the advantage to stepping up a rotor size if the pads aren’t going to contact the entire surface?

Sounds like more of an issue with your install...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Sounds like you have the 55mm pistons....some USA cars had the 55mm diameter piston calipers for 288mm discs...in Europe & UK we get 57mm piston calipers for 288mm discs...

312mm discs require 57mm calipers….there is 55 or 57 stamped on the caliper body on the piston section.

If you do have the 57mm piston look at my pictures...the disc surface does not go upto the hub...& the advantage of a bigger disc is firstly lever factor...the further away from the hub the easier it is to grab the disc....ie less force is used by the caliper to get the same grip.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like you have the 55mm pistons....some USA cars had the 55mm diameter piston calipers for 288mm discs...in Europe & UK we get 57mm piston calipers for 288mm discs...

312mm discs require 57mm calipers….there is 55 or 57 stamped on the caliper body on the piston section.

If you do have the 57mm piston look at my pictures...the disc surface does not go upto the hub...& the advantage of a bigger disc is firstly lever factor...the further away from the hub the easier it is to grab the disc....ie less force is used by the caliper to get the same grip.

I should note i purchased new carriers and calipers from a 16 GTI so they should be the 57mm piston...

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I should note i purchased new carriers and calipers from a 16 GTI so they should be the 57mm piston...

Right then go back & look at my picture of my finished 312mm set up at the start of this "how to"....you will see that there is over half inch between the hub & the start of the pad...yours should look like that...

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I looked again today at the rotors and that clear non-contact area is not much less defined. It looks like it just took some time for the pads to reach that area. I’d say I’m down to that half inch of distance now... instead the inch inch and a half it was before