GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dkm stage 3 clutch

dub_guy

Ready to race!
DKM would get a lot better media by actually shipping clutches to people.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
One year ago I was certain DKM was the sleeper, perfect clutch. As everyone was trying other options there were only a couple reviews on these clutch kits. I decided to go DKM down the line ( I am a 2015 build date with a stock clutch thats Eeeeekkk still holding-ish at 30k miles tuned) . This thread has made me realize I'm definitely going BFI stage three now..

I wish there were more options out there. It seems like there's really only three. One that is extremely expensive if you don't save your OEM flywheel, one that won't even ship their kits, and one that has quite mixed reviews. Fml

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Thursday clutch update: FINALLY!!!! A working god damn clutch! Picked it up this morning. The replacement unit installed without issue.

Initial thoughts? I want to be mad at it still but honestly it feels great. Pedal is a good bit lighter than the previous Sachs SRE unit. Engagement is definitely low on the pedal but should move up a little as it breaks in. There is a shorter window to modulate or "feather" the engagement but nothing unmanageable. Noise at idle is more present but that was to be expected. All in all this is a very good clutch. Just wish the whole ordeal wasn't such an unfortunate nightmare.

Now I just have to settle the financial score with DKM. The nightmare isn't quite over.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Thursday clutch update: FINALLY!!!! A working god damn clutch! Picked it up this morning. The replacement unit installed without issue.

Initial thoughts? I want to be mad at it still but honestly it feels great. Pedal is a good bit lighter than the previous Sachs SRE unit. Engagement is definitely low on the pedal but should move up a little as it breaks in. There is a shorter window to modulate or "feather" the engagement but nothing unmanageable. Noise at idle is more present but that was to be expected. All in all this is a very good clutch. Just wish the whole ordeal wasn't such an unfortunate nightmare.

Now I just have to settle the financial score with DKM. The nightmare isn't quite over.

Congrats dude!! Any idea what DKM is willing to commit to the cost of labour issue?

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Congrats dude!! Any idea what DKM is willing to commit to the cost of labour issue?

Thanks man. No idea as of yet. I will have to send the invoice over to them and open up some phone dialogue. In conversation between them and the VW tech they did acknowledge that they would have to help me out so we shall see what their interpretation of "help" is.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Glad the clutch is good now, hope they do you right, all that aside it is a great clutch
Thanks man. No idea as of yet. I will have to send the invoice over to them and open up some phone dialogue. In conversation between them and the VW tech they did acknowledge that they would have to help me out so we shall see what their interpretation of "help" is.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
One year ago I was certain DKM was the sleeper, perfect clutch. As everyone was trying other options there were only a couple reviews on these clutch kits. I decided to go DKM down the line ( I am a 2015 build date with a stock clutch thats Eeeeekkk still holding-ish at 30k miles tuned) . This thread has made me realize I'm definitely going BFI stage three now..

I wish there were more options out there. It seems like there's really only three. One that is extremely expensive if you don't save your OEM flywheel, one that won't even ship their kits, and one that has quite mixed reviews. Fml

There are plenty of options. If there were more options then you would probably find something wrong with them. BFI Stage 3 would not be on my list though if you are considering a DKM Twin Disk.

Unless your clutch is slipping now then order the DKM and hope the delivery times get better.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long

Glad that's over. Now you just need to weather the break-in period :)

It's great that you posted these issues and updates you were having with the clutch and the company's lack of customer communication. Many people would just leave a comment that says "BAD CLUTCH BAD COMPANY" then move onto another company without figuring out if the issue was a bad install or bad clutch kit.

Props to you, your mechanic, and your Buddhist monk patience lol. I'd go nuts if this happened to me. Hope DKM reaches out and reimburses you for this ordeal.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
You wanna share which dealer you went through? Seems like they really went above and beyond trying to help your clutch install.

Crackness1

Ready to race!
You're lucky that they were willing to help you. DKM and the shop have not helped me in the slightest after numerous attempts.

So did you ever bleed the clutch? I've seen people ask and haven't seen the response.

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
You wanna share which dealer you went through? Seems like they really went above and beyond trying to help your clutch install.

VW of Orland Park. I live in Palatine so this dealer is quite a hike for me but the VW tech came highly recommended to me. I am willing to take to make the drive for service I can trust and I was glad I did.

PM me if you need any specifics on who to get in touch with if you are looking for service.

radoroc

Ready to race!
So did you ever bleed the clutch? I've seen people ask and haven't seen the response.

It's on my to do list, I haven't had much time. I'm still choked that neither party has made any real attempt to get this resolved.

The only thing I know is that Clifton implied that it's "normal", when it's clearly not.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
VW of Orland Park. I live in Palatine so this dealer is quite a hike for me but the VW tech came highly recommended to me. I am willing to take to make the drive for service I can trust and I was glad I did.

PM me if you need any specifics on who to get in touch with if you are looking for service.

Buddy. Jay745 is local to you and does great work.