GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

External Oil Cooler Options?

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I track my car and have seen oil temperatures rise into the 270 F deg range according to the dashboard display. That seems pretty hot to me. I would like to find a solution that manages oil temperature, have a minimal impact on existing engine components, and provide cooling only when the oil temperature exceeds about 230 F.

Specifically, my criteria are:
1. Is thermostatically controlled
2. Retains the stock oil filter
3. Provides a means to drain the oil in the cooler and connecting lines to facilitate oil changes
4. Does not modify any existing engine components such as intake mounting brackets

I am aware of three currently available options:
1. Racingline—does not satisfy 1-3
2. iABED-does not satisfy 3 or 4 (I’m uncertain about 4; some have said that some mod is required)
3. Katecool-doesn’t appear to satisfy 1 or 3. Don’t know about 4.

I think it unlikely that any option will satisfies criteria 3. I can live with that, but it would be nice to have. I suppose criteria 1 can be meet by installing a Mocal remote thermostat to any of the currently available options, but I don’t know what complications may arise in attempting this. I’m looking for a turn-key solution.

So, does my dream oil cooler exist?

rcnacura

Passed Driver's Ed
Im currently installing th iabed oil plate with a oil cooler I installed in front of the passenger wheel well.

Im runnung I to issues with the an10 fitting being to big, so need to use an8 to clear the alternator.

Lines then go to a thermostat, then to 16 row oil cooler and back to engine. Adding a thermostat to any system will not cause issue.

Not sure you will have a system that allows you to drain from the cooler, but not sure why you would need to. Are you just wanting to drain the cooler during filter changes?

The katecool system is costly. Iabed plate is good, they also have a kit too. Vwr is suppose to come out with a solution, but costly too, that connects directly on the oil filter housing.

In total, I've spent roughly 400 piecing together my setup, but will require some fabrication and line routing.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
That’s very interesting. Are you installing this on a GTI? If so, how are you ducting about air to the cooler? Are you using a Mocal thermostat? What temperature will it open?

Sorry for all the questions. Photos would be greatly appreciated.