GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Roc Euro Stabilizer Bar cracked DSG housing

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Are you all fixed up?

Not yet. I have the money together, and found a suitable transmission (18K miles). Just gotta pick the trans up and drop it off at the place I'm getting the work done at. I'll probably do that this week.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
My car is finally functional again. Had a DSG with only 18K on it off a 2015 GTI installed by Smith VW in Delaware, picked it up yesterday. You might laugh at this, but I also had them install the APR dogbone insert (not the stabilizer bar, that's back to OEM).

Impressions from driving it home from the dealership yesterday (~45 miles), and to work this morning (38 miles), it drives no differently than before. So that's a big sigh of relief.

Two negatives:

1) the DSG whines in 6th gear at highway speeds, and I spend a lot of time on the highway. It's not noticeable with music on, and i also spend 98%+ of my time listening to music, so this isn't a big issue.

2) the vibrations, presumably from the APR Insert, are pretty unbearable in neutral/D when stopped, and @ idle speed in 1st and 2nd. Aka when i'm below ~10mph, the vibrations are unacceptable.

hoping the dogbone will settle in. I'm gonna give it 500 miles and see if it improves. If not, I'm going to get a powerflex insert, because I've heard that that has no vibrations and has a significant improvement in driveline stiffness. I think that the few weeks I drove my car after the housing failed initially transmitted too much excess stress on the dogbone mount itself, and the rubber is shot.

But all-in-all, the nightmare is basically over. My car drives like it used to, just with some vibrations. the driveline is tight, and i get to drive my GTI again, instead of an 09 CC with 100K miles on it that's never been carbon cleaned and the mounts all require replacement

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Completely false.

Yeah I mean that makes sense because it's a full poly mount, but idk i remember reading someone say that their vibrations went down. I want ~something~ that will last and won't make my trim panels rattle off their clips, while also improving stiffness. I have the 034 engine/trans mounts, and am back to OEM stabilizer bar, don't think i wanna touch that at this point lol.

what do now? I went with the APR piece since it's essentially similar to the 034 piece it's just made of steel instead of aluminum. hopefully it settles down to an acceptable level... but even if it settles, there's a lot to go before i'd consider it "acceptable," so in all likelihood i'll be getting rid of it.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Yeah I mean that makes sense because it's a full poly mount, but idk i remember reading someone say that their vibrations went down. I want ~something~ that will last and won't make my trim panels rattle off their clips, while also improving stiffness. I have the 034 engine/trans mounts, and am back to OEM stabilizer bar, don't think i wanna touch that at this point lol.

what do now? I went with the APR piece since it's essentially similar to the 034 piece it's just made of steel instead of aluminum. hopefully it settles down to an acceptable level... but even if it settles, there's a lot to go before i'd consider it "acceptable," so in all likelihood i'll be getting rid of it.

Well, the only way for it to "settle down" is to wear out the OEM rubber, no? I mean, it's a hunk of metal. It is either going to wear the rubber or bend, and if APR's is steel I don't think it is going to bend. Both outcomes reduce effectiveness of the mount, yes? So, essentially you want it to do a subpar job. You can't really have your cake and eat it too. The vibes mean it's doing its job. Perhaps the diesel version works better but I don't know of anyone who has tried both.

If it bothers you in 500 miles feel free to try the diesel mount. But know that you have to remove the OEM arm to put it in. I might be a bit gun-shy about removing it after all you went through, but that's just me......

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
If it bothers you in 500 miles feel free to try the diesel mount. But know that you have to remove the OEM arm to put it in. I might be a bit gun-shy about removing it after all you went through, but that's just me......

yeah :\

MadMen

Ready to race!

Do you have type 1 or type 2 insert?

I had to remove my type 1 APR insert also, as it was completely unacceptable for me. Wasn't sure if it was due to being a type 1, or due to the material.

I had a type 2 034 on my GTI which wasn't bad at all - especially with the Roc-Euro stabilizer. Perhaps the slight 'give' of the aluminum insert made it give a little bit which made the NVH less? But the APR is nothing more than a paper weight now.

The APR was also a MUCH tighter fit than the 034 was. The 034 slipped right into place, where I had to tap the APR in with a mallet.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Do you have type 1 or type 2 insert?

I had to remove my type 1 APR insert also, as it was completely unacceptable for me. Wasn't sure if it was due to being a type 1, or due to the material.

I had a type 2 034 on my GTI which wasn't bad at all - especially with the Roc-Euro stabilizer. Perhaps the slight 'give' of the aluminum insert made it give a little bit which made the NVH less? But the APR is nothing more than a paper weight now.

The APR was also a MUCH tighter fit than the 034 was. The 034 slipped right into place, where I had to tap the APR in with a mallet.

This isn't the first time I've had the APR insert installed, and removing it before was certainly a process.

Also, yep. Just looked at my order receipt, I'm a V1. Sucks :(

It's funny, because the V1's from 034 had significantly fewer vibration issues than the V2's.

So wait - your same car that used the V1 APR used the V2 034? I realize the number designation is entirely arbitrary so it doesn't matter, but I do actually have the 034 piece. So I'll give the APR piece some time, but I'll probably replace it with 034. My car is on stock power, anyway...

MadMen

Ready to race!
So wait - your same car that used the V1 APR used the V2 034? I realize the number designation is entirely arbitrary so it doesn't matter, but I do actually have the 034 piece. So I'll give the APR piece some time, but I'll probably replace it with 034. My car is on stock power, anyway...

No. I had a '17 GTI that used the V2 034. I now have a '15 S3 that uses the V1 APR (well, for 15 minutes). Actually, I did use it at an AutoX event, and it absolutely helped eliminate wheel hop. Nothing but good hard AWD launches - but the vibration at idle was unbearable.

I'm still wondering if the 034 is just a better fit, which will cause less NVH. With how tight the APR is wedged in there, it's basically turning it into a solid mount with lots of NVH.

ionian2k

My car is finally functional again. Had a DSG with only 18K on it off a 2015 GTI installed by Smith VW in Delaware, picked it up yesterday.

Good to hear you are back running. I know where that shop is and it isn't far from my buddy's house. He got his Audi tuned there as it's APR shop. How much did they charged you for the service?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
When it comes to V1 or V2 for dogbone mounts, they are different to fit the different design of the stock dogbone rubber. VW changed the design halfway through MY16 sales. If the APR unit goes through both stock bushings like my I.E insert, that would explain the additional vibrations compared to 034 which only goes through the lower bushing.