GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

LurpyGeek

Passed Driver's Ed
How is it that the Vibrant is so much more effective at handling drone when it is so much smaller than the stock resonator?

cW6mT mKviGTi

Ready to race!
How is it that the Vibrant is so much more effective at handling drone when it is so much smaller than the stock resonator?
Its a matter of volume, since the OEM is a triangular, space saving design theres actually less volume within even though its longer in overall length.

Also, the packing within the vibrant units are more of a proprietary mixture of stranded wire mesh versus the OEM which i believe to be hollow with more of a helmholtz, louvered design.

Some of my info could be incorrect and i'm sure others would provide more accurate info.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
“How’s the sun set? How’s posi track on the Plymouth work? It just does”

-Joe Dirté Sr. III

But seriously the internal construction and volume is correct for the flow of an aftermarket downpipe. The OEM one is only really effective with the super restrictive OEM downpipe.

Luckily for the few hundred people running them I figured that out via the guess and check method March 6, 2017

SJP0tato

After I swapped on a catted CTS downpipe, I also wasn't happy with the exhaust sound/tone. I've had a half-dozen turbocharged/modified cars, and the MK7 Gti definitely has the strangest result with an aftermarket downpipe:

Gti Jake is 100% on the money that the stock downpipe kills most of the sound; the stock resonator/muffler don't dampen a whole lot, since VW probably wanted a little bit of sportiness to the exhaust tone.

What that meant for my install (catted CTS, stock everything else) was very dampened exhaust note from idle -> 2700 rpms, aggressive sound from 2700->2900 rpms, and blatty/ricey from 3k+.
In normal driving, it was cringe-inducing revving anywhere over 2800 rpms at any throttle position.

After having a Vibrant 17930 swapped in place of the stock resonator, the exhaust is slightly lower in tone, and sounds very near stock: Slightly more sporty/aggressive, but fairly even across the RPM range (rather than the near silent straight into annoying of previous).

Thanks for spreading the word Gti jake, Vibrant owes you a kickback on these things; they really are the best solution for a nice even tone.

Hans

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R
After having a Vibrant 17930 swapped in place of the stock resonator, the exhaust is slightly lower in tone, and sounds very near stock: Slightly more sporty/aggressive, but fairly even across the RPM range (rather than the near silent straight into annoying of previous).
Another bump for this process. My 17930 swap with the Uni DP and remaining factory set up is scheduled for next week.

Hans

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R
Another satisfied Vibrant customer.

If you are on teh fence about what to do, go buy the 17930 now. I grabbed mine of Amazon ($90) and had it installed locallly ($100) I'm so stoked. I have my quiet, non-farty sound back!

IS38 + Unitronic DP + Vibrant 17930 + factory resonator = 95% of factory sound

There is just a little bit of a growl when you put your foot into it, but not much. I love it.

Thanks again Jake and everyone else who posted up their experiences!

MikeMK7

Ready to race!
Im currently running an APR dp with a resonator delete and stock muffler and It’s really not loud enough for me. On a scale of 1-10 the volume is on a 4 or 5, I want it at an 8. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

murtaza911

Ready to race!
I'm running an ebay/aliexpress 3" catless Downpipe and stock GTI catback.

Before the 3" downpipe i was running the GTI stock downpipe. I really liked the sound of the stock system. Quiet and refined.

Any way I can make the 3" Catless downpipe be a lot quieter with out affecting performance too much? Obviously I don't expect it to be as quiet as the complete stock system, but much quieter would be nice :)

Would the vibrant res help me?

MikeMK7

Ready to race!
I'm running an ebay/aliexpress 3" catless Downpipe and stock GTI catback.

Before the 3" downpipe i was running the GTI stock downpipe. I really liked the sound of the stock system. Quiet and refined.

Any way I can make the 3" Catless downpipe be a lot quieter with out affecting performance too much? Obviously I don't expect it to be as quiet as the complete stock system, but much quieter would be nice :)

Would the vibrant res help me?

Yes the vibrant 17930 would be perfect for you. I thought it made my previous setup too quiet. But I had no muffler at the time.

murtaza911

Ready to race!
Yes the vibrant 17930 would be perfect for you. I thought it made my previous setup too quiet. But I had no muffler at the time.

And I just put it in place of the one on the catback? not on the downpipe?

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
So what are everyone’s opinions on a res delete with a catless DP? I did the DP about a month ago and still want just a bit more sound, especially lower in the rev range. Will it cause a ton of drone?

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
You want better sound you are going to have to get rid of the big nasty suitcase and get a CBE