GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

cW6mT mKviGTi

Ready to race!
I would ditch the cheap DP and talk to GTI Jake who is now making DPs and full exhaust (3 inch all the way)....10whp is very weak after adding a DP...
I think that they were referring to the difference with the cutout closed and open. Not the difference of a downpipe

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I think that they were referring to the difference with the cutout closed and open. Not the difference of a downpipe

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Correct.

I'm making about 400whp, nothing weak about the setup, but I feel there is room for improvement in the exhaust. Tired of the catless smell, and stock exhaust is really heavy.

I'm not in the market for another DP, while I'd give serious consideration to Jake's if I were in the market now, I'm not going to see a gain going from one 3" mandrel bent 304 DP to another. I have a TIG and a very well equipped garage. I'll just chop the reducer off my DP, weld a cat into the 3" section, and go from there.

Last edited:

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I'm giving serious consideration to going full 3" with a cat.

The current setup is a welded Rev 9 DP, stock catback with a cutout before the muffler.

The car gains 10whp with the cutout open...I have to wonder if I could add a cat, cut a bunch of weight, gain power and keep the sound very civilized with the right 3" setup.

I would do the Vibrant resonator...need recommendations on a cat and a muffler or two.

My friend has the Rev9 catless DP. It's a decent pipe for the money and he's running it with stock catback for now.

The Vibrant Ultr Quiet seems to be well liked and I personally was going to do that after DP and CBE.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
Just ordered a CSS muffler the other day to go with my Eurocode catted downpipe and Vibrant 17930, don't know if this is uncharted territory but I'm willing to roll the dice. Been looking for a review of someone with a DP/Vibrant/CSS but haven't seen anyone with that setup. So we'll see how it goes once I get it in. :)

Scrodee

Ready to race!

I have a bit of a Frankenstein exhaust with a VWR catless downpipe, AWE track cat back and a 17950 Vibrant resonator. I hated the catless fumes and it was still a touch too loud for DD as far as I do everyday. Solution was to put a cheapo magnaflow cat way back just in front of my Vibrant res. I was worried that would be too far back and there wouldn't be enough heat for the cat to work but it seems to be working fine based on the total lack of smell. Volume is just right for my tastes now.

'17 Night Blue Metallic GTI Sport 6MT | Southbend Stage 2 Daily | Boomba short shift adapter and knob | VWR downpipe, intercooler, turbo inlet pipe, & turbo muffler delete | AFE drop-in filter | AWE track catback with Vibrant 1750 resonator | Cobb AP, tuned by 5150 | MSS fully adjustable Streets springs

Jordan_methot

Ok guys here i am ; i have a 2015 GTi with a borla cat back. The sound was perfect till the day i install a CTS 3.5inch catless downpipe with the ecu/tcu stage 2. The drone is VERY annoying. I cant even go over 2000rpm cause its too loud and it dont sound good :(

Do you guys think the vibrant 17930 will help ? Should i install a highflow catback on my downpipe too ? Thanksss

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Ok guys here i am ; i have a 2015 GTi with a borla cat back. The sound was perfect till the day i install a CTS 3.5inch catless downpipe with the ecu/tcu stage 2. The drone is VERY annoying. I cant even go over 2000rpm cause its too loud and it dont sound good :(

Do you guys think the vibrant 17930 will help ? Should i install a highflow catback on my downpipe too ? Thanksss
Check for leaks? They will drone and whistle awful bad

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

TheWedgie

Passed Driver's Ed
I will look at that this weekend, maybe i have a leak. But it will probably still sound like a garbage can ?

Vibrant resonator should help.

I'd be interested to hear how that turns out... I currently have the catless CTS DP paired up with stock exhaust (which sounds great to me)... I'd like to eventually swap out the stock exhaust for a full 3" option, but I'm confident that regardless of the exhaust chosen, the sound/drone will be unbearable w/o adding an additional resonator or cat.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion

You need the 17950 - I'm sure it will help

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

I have a bit of a Frankenstein exhaust with a VWR catless downpipe, AWE track cat back and a 17950 Vibrant resonator. I hated the catless fumes and it was still a touch too loud for DD as far as I do everyday. Solution was to put a cheapo magnaflow cat way back just in front of my Vibrant res. I was worried that would be too far back and there wouldn't be enough heat for the cat to work but it seems to be working fine based on the total lack of smell. Volume is just right for my tastes now.

'17 Night Blue Metallic GTI Sport 6MT | Southbend Stage 2 Daily | Boomba short shift adapter and knob | VWR downpipe, intercooler, turbo inlet pipe, & turbo muffler delete | AFE drop-in filter | AWE track catback with Vibrant 1750 resonator | Cobb AP, tuned by 5150 | MSS fully adjustable Streets springs

For those thinking of doing this ideally the 17950 would be mounted a few feet further back. The same heat making that cat work is gonna burn the packing out of the resonator

Jordan_methot

Vibrant resonator should help.

I'd be interested to hear how that turns out... I currently have the catless CTS DP paired up with stock exhaust (which sounds great to me)... I'd like to eventually swap out the stock exhaust for a full 3" option, but I'm confident that regardless of the exhaust chosen, the sound/drone will be unbearable w/o adding an additional resonator or cat.

If i figure how to post video here i will haha

Scrodee

Ready to race!
For those thinking of doing this ideally the 17950 would be mounted a few feet further back. The same heat making that cat work is gonna burn the packing out of the resonator

It’s only 8-10 inches from the first big bend to the rear, almost exactly where AWE puts their touring res. But fair enough thought about the heat. I'll post here if I ever have any problems or it starts sounding like it's getting burned out.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
It’s only 8-10 inches from the first big bend to the rear, almost exactly where AWE puts their touring res. But fair enough thought about the heat. I'll post here if I ever have any problems or it starts sounding like it's getting burned out.

The close proximity of the cat made it deceiving.

Here’s two more Vibrant 17950 installs I did recently and a video https://youtu.be/mWRnjL8wZWE

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
After a couple thousand miles my Magneflow 12646 has opened up a bit. Starting to hear the DSG farts again with windows down. Happy about that but we'll see if it keeps getting louder over time or not.