GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quarter mile launch technique & shift points

Hotfart

Ready to race!
1st to 2nd rpm seems way passed where power drops off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reason for that is because the gear spacing between 1-2 is so large compared to 2-3 and higher. There is a much bigger RPM drop on 1-2 than the other gears. Shift too early and I feel like I bog.

Mk72015

Ready to race!
DSG, and the stock Pirellis

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
Reason for that is because the gear spacing between 1-2 is so large compared to 2-3 and higher. There is a much bigger RPM drop on 1-2 than the other gears. Shift too early and I feel like I bog.

Yeah but for that very reason I'd think a short shift there would benefit. This is based on no data whatsoever lol Just my feeling after driving the car for 10k miles.

Probably wrong what I'm saying, just feels like the higher I go in first, the longer I'm left twirling my thumbs waiting for the rev match.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
https://youtu.be/zZBqb0ZJSwU

I feel like this is more satisfying than pure speculation.

That is a very good resource! I hadn't actually seen that video, but it is what I based the numbers that hexxum001 found on when I made them.

I'm surprised he doesn't make the connection that the wheel torques will be the same in different gears when the power the engine is making is the same.

If you want more details, this is the spreadsheet I use: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y930I8weeW2-XP330fRQE2qQQ376dfawUT3cbHqcV88/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Mydixadryl

Ready to race!
I'm glad someone went to the trouble of running the calculations. I'll save this spreadsheet for future use.

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
That is a very good resource! I hadn't actually seen that video, but it is what I based the numbers that hexxum001 found on when I made them.

I'm surprised he doesn't make the connection that the wheel torques will be the same in different gears when the power the engine is making is the same.

If you want more details, this is the spreadsheet I use: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y930I8weeW2-XP330fRQE2qQQ376dfawUT3cbHqcV88/edit?usp=sharing
Sorry that I didn't give you credit for posting those numbers. I just couldn't find the thread that you posted them in. It was a while back. Good stuff though bro. I'll have to download that spreadsheet when I get home. Thanks for sharing.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Sorry that I didn't give you credit for posting those numbers. I just couldn't find the thread that you posted them in. It was a while back. Good stuff though bro. I'll have to download that spreadsheet when I get home. Thanks for sharing.

No problem. I don't care much about credit, just that information gets spread :p.

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
No problem. I don't care much about credit, just that information gets spread :p.

nice graph. Question though

Wouldn't you want to stretch those higher gears out until the power drops off?
Apr stage 1 power curve at least, HP doesn't start to drop off until after ~6200 RPM

icin235

Passed Driver's Ed
Looking for more people who've experimented with different shift points and launch techniques at the track to chime in.

My local drag strip is always so packed, I only got 2 runs in last time I went.

MeltedSolid, thanks for the spreadsheet.