GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Yamahas, Festivas, Avantis and XKEs—3 Years with my R

elwood1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2024 GTI SE DSG
How much for your TR6?

Mine is not for sale, but I know of a nice one in suburban Chicago with overdrive and wire wheels, Carmine red with tan interior, asking price is $18,000. If you have an interest, pm me and I will send you the contact info. NFI, the owner passed away last month and his wife is selling the car.

tknj99

Ready to race!
Before I had kids, I rode year round here in Baltimore. I had two bikes, Triumph Tiger 1050, same motor as a speed triple. Tuned, 130 HP, super comfy. And a Triumph bobber.

I just sold the Tiger and I'm about to sell speedy. I haven't ridden at all since my second son was born, and he just turned 4!

That's why I bought my R. Wanted something fun that holds the utes.

FJR is a sweet bike.

Had a riding hiatus as well for a few years when kids were young, but trust me, you'll ride again.. too hard to keep the riding bug at bay

Golf R1

Ready to race!
Mine is not for sale, but I know of a nice one in suburban Chicago with overdrive and wire wheels, Carmine red with tan interior, asking price is $18,000. If you have an interest, pm me and I will send you the contact info. NFI, the owner passed away last month and his wife is selling the car.
Was half joking, have always liked that body style. Had a 79 MGB a while back. It was mint and a blast to drive. Either one would be a nice weekend car. Will likely grab one in a few years. Like your wheels btw. Much preferred over the other options. Enjoy the ride!

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Bike talk, can I play? I'm about to sell my ZHP and replace it with with a new Kawasaki Versys 650. I haven't owned a bike in 35 years. I just took a 3-day course over the weekend and polished up my skills, and got certified for my motorcycle endorsement on my driver's license w/o further testing at DMV, which I secured this afternoon. Very excited about buying a modern bike, a lot has changed in 35 years!

Shabba

Passed Driver's Ed
Bike talk, can I play? I'm about to sell my ZHP and replace it with with a new Kawasaki Versys 650. I haven't owned a bike in 35 years. I just took a 3-day course over the weekend and polished up my skills, and got certified for my motorcycle endorsement on my driver's license w/o further testing at DMV, which I secured this afternoon. Very excited about buying a modern bike, a lot has changed in 35 years!

Great bike to get back on too. I like the KLR but the Versys is a fantastic bike as well. Good to see someone getting back into the fold.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie

The Versys has proven to be a really good all around bike. That said, I'd take a good look at the Yamaha MT-07 as well for mid-sized all around duty. Either bike is a good back-on-the-saddle choice.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
The MT-07 looks great! New model just out this month I see from the Yamaha website.

I agonized between the Versys or the Suzuki V-Strom 650. I want to be able to do a little bit of light off-roading, and the Strom is a bit better suited to that duty, but the Versys should be the better street bike, and 95% of my time will be on paved roads. The only off-road duty will be unpaved "roads", very light duty.

I pulled the trigger on the Versys today. Leftover '17 model, list $8099 - I stole it for $6253 including PDI & destination. Here she is getting a little PDI inspection after it came off the showroom floor...

I bought it up in Tucson and it's being delivered to me on Friday. Can't wait to get her out on the open road.

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
Nice!

I am a "younger" guy and still on my supersport bike phase. Had a 2012 Ninja 650 (sport touring) for three years after gettin gmy license, put a good 30,000km on that. Then got a leftover 2014 ZX6R in 2015 for a steal as well and never looked back since! Love this bike. I have about 28,000km on it in 3 summers of ownership. only thing I hate about it is the $1300 a year plates that the wonderful Quebec has us paying. Highway robbery it is!

I am thinking of going back to a sport touring bike soon, much cheaper per year in terms of insurance and plates, but soemthing still sporty like the BMW1000R (not the supersport 1000RR but its naked, detuned brother)

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
And yet, for all the visceral intensity which a sport-oriented motorcycle provides, getting behind the wheel of a Golf R and taking it for a spin is still so deeply satisfying.

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
And yet, for all the visceral intensity which a sport-oriented motorcycle provides, getting behind the wheel of a Golf R and taking it for a spin is still so deeply satisfying.

definitely, but in a different way. The feeling of being pushed into your seat is always nice. My R will never be as quick as my bike, which is a good thing because it allows me to be happy with the R's stock power or with light power mods (ie JB4) and of course the excellent AWD in the winter months. The bike of course is an absolute monster and is a different feeling completely. I am lucky to have these two toys at my age and I make great use of them :D

Shabba

Passed Driver's Ed

Yeah, cars can make me enjoy the drive and I can have some fun in them too. I took my 1990 Saab 900 Turbo to deals gap a few years ago and that was so much fun. But it was even more fun on my gsxr750 way back when. Bikes are just..special? I don't know how to differentiate, but the feeling I get on a bike is just more pleasurable than in a car.

Shabba

Passed Driver's Ed
The MT-07 looks great! New model just out this month I see from the Yamaha website.

I agonized between the Versys or the Suzuki V-Strom 650. I want to be able to do a little bit of light off-roading, and the Strom is a bit better suited to that duty, but the Versys should be the better street bike, and 95% of my time will be on paved roads. The only off-road duty will be unpaved "roads", very light duty.

I pulled the trigger on the Versys today. Leftover '17 model, list $8099 - I stole it for $6253 including PDI & destination. Here she is getting a little PDI inspection after it came off the showroom floor...

I bought it up in Tucson and it's being delivered to me on Friday. Can't wait to get her out on the open road.

You made a great choice. You'll love it.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
only thing I hate about it is the $1300 a year plates that the wonderful Quebec has us paying. Highway robbery it is!

Wait.. WUT??!!! $1300 to license a bike? The property tax on my $240k house last year was under $1000. For the new Versys I bought yesterday, my total DMV cost was... $150.81. And I thought THAT was high. Insurance is going to run me about $41/month for solid full coverage.